3D Robotics Solo vs Dji Phantom 3 Pro

I wouldn't be able to say.. People take words and like to twist them so I need to play it safe on this type of question. Sorry

Just to be clear, I'm not a fan boi of DJI. I have always hated the P2VP's pisspoor camera that was fragile and expensive to replace. I went as far as converting the Vision plus to a Gopro. It is still expensive to replace the P3 camera, but I cannot argue on how much bang for buck you get in a p3.

Anyways.. I think we all believe that DJI didn't like working with gopro when in actual fact I think it has always been the other way around. If gopro was friendly, they would have allowed DJI to have full integration with gopro (abilty to control the camera via the zenmuse). They would also have allowed DJI to continue using the patented 30pin Rear Hero Port (Zenmuse H3-2D and H3-3D 1.0). Instead, they forced DJI to redesign the H3-3D 1.1 with the side generic USB port for FPV to avoid being sued. They have even gone to the extent of disabling the Hero Port in the Gopro Hero 4's rear port to work with any Zenmuse H3/H4-3Ds.

So I think gopro burnt bridges and not the other way around. And this probably has forced DJI into and becoming what is now, and hence not opting for a 3rd party option in the P3.

Maybe you guys don't watch TV but DJI is all over the morning news from drone discovery on GMA to Matt Lauer biking with a DJI inspire. DJI cameras are already being used on national morning news programs, get your heads out of the sand and toss your GoPro in garbage.
Its called product placement! Why do you think you see apple products all over TV?

My phone takes much better photos than any GoPro.
Lets stop here... If your using the image directly off your phone as the final image.. Then you wouldn't know where to look to compare the image quality between the phone image and the gopro image anyway.

Just to be clear, I'm not a fan boi of DJI. I have always hated the P2VP's pisspoor camera that was fragile and expensive to replace. I went as far as converting the Vision plus to a Gopro. It is still expensive to replace the P3 camera, but I cannot argue on how much bang for buck you get in a p3.

Anyways.. I think we all believe that DJI didn't like working with gopro when in actual fact I think it has always been the other way around. If gopro was friendly, they would have allowed DJI to have full integration with gopro (abilty to control the camera via the zenmuse). They would also have allowed DJI to continue using the patented 30pin Rear Hero Port (Zenmuse H3-2D and H3-3D 1.0). Instead, they forced DJI to redesign the H3-3D 1.1 with the side generic USB port for FPV to avoid being sued. They have even gone to the extent of disabling the Hero Port in the Gopro Hero 4's rear port to work with any Zenmuse H3/H4-3Ds.

So I think gopro burnt bridges and not the other way around. And this probably has forced DJI into and becoming what is now, and hence not opting for a 3rd party option in the P3.
Interesting.. Maybe they just couldn't negotiate on a deal? It sounds like it got sour, which obviously forced DJI into making cameras.

Thanks ianwood,

For pointing us to this...

alloy-core.jpg

Solo will be the gopro crowd's aircraft (surfers, snowboarders, wake boarders etc.) DJI will likely remain the hobbyist/professionals aircraft, for one simple reason... RETAIL AVAILABILITY, solo launches in Best Buy stores on the 31st likely on the same isle the gopro sits on. Lots of teens, and College kids will be flying them all over the place causing problems!! Hopefully that's not the case, but that's the nightmare scenerio I have in my head. I'll be flying both, my P3P will be here Friday, and I'll grab the solo on the 31st. Different applications call for different aircraft/cameras, just my opinion.

For me the solo vs P3 debate is simple.

I want Inspire type video. P3 does that, and didn't break the bank, it's a all in one package, everything was assembled in the box (bar the props being put on).

The Solo, while adding some cool movement and control features, would still leave me with distorted gopro footage (which don't get me wrong, can be quite awesome at times).

But when I took my P3 for the first flight, I was impressed... and I don't impress easily.

If the Solo was released a year ago, I'd be impressed, but it's pretty close to the Phantom 2, with a bunch of additional features and the HD link.

Overall, I'll be looking out for the first reviews with interest tho...

Just for fun, I'll even chuck in some reference videos

1. My first flight with P2 (v2) + H3-3D + Gopro 4 Black

2. My first flight with P3 (Advanced, shooting 1080P @ 60fps)

Reactions: dhaslam
Here is the sad fact for 3DR, very few people, except koolaid drinkers and DJI haters, will buy a Solo until the gimbal is out and independent onboard video from real customers is available. That's going to be August folks. By that time, there will be about 200,000 P3s in the air completely drowning out any impact the Solo may have had.

Reactions: apocnz
Lets stop here... If your using the image directly off your phone as the final image.. Then you wouldn't know where to look to compare the image quality between the phone image and the gopro image anyway.

You think that a GoPro can take a photograph anywhere near as good as my iPhone 6?
Please. I have many professional photographers in my family and among my friends and none use a GoPro. Optically speaking, youre dealing with a small fixed focused lens. A modern cellphone takes much better pictures. Snap a selfie of yourself drinking the koolaid with your GoPro and then your phone and post here.

. A modern cellphone takes much better pictures. Snap a selfie of yourself drinking the koolaid with your GoPro and then your phone and post here.
LOL

Solo will be the gopro crowd's aircraft (surfers, snowboarders, wake boarders etc.) DJI will likely remain the hobbyist/professionals aircraft, for one simple reason... RETAIL AVAILABILITY, solo launches in Best Buy stores on the 31st likely on the same isle the gopro sits on. Lots of teens, and College kids will be flying them all over the place causing problems!! Hopefully that's not the case, but that's the nightmare scenerio I have in my head. I'll be flying both, my P3P will be here Friday, and I'll grab the solo on the 31st. Different applications call for different aircraft/cameras, just my opinion.

They aren't selling the Solo on Amazon which is a much better sales Chanel than BestBuy. I bet they sell almost none thru BB. What complete idiot would buy a AP Drone that can't take pictures or Video? They will sell very few without a gimbal.

Its called product placement! Why do you think you see apple products all over TV?
No, they are using the DJI camera for broadcast video, I've seen it and it's great. Where's the Solo with live HD feed broadcasting from a GoPro on National TV? In your dreams.

Here is the sad fact for 3DR, very few people, except koolaid drinkers and DJI haters, will buy a Solo until the gimbal is out and independent onboard video from real customers is available. That's going to be August folks. By that time, there will be about 200,000 P3s in the air completely drowning out any impact the Solo may have had.

This is true. DJI have the consumer "drone" market by the balls. I'd love to see competition, but it'll take a lot money, smarts and flawless marketing, service and product delivery to step up against the head start DJI have.

I once thought Walkera may have had a chance, but they blew it, hard.

Didn't we do this a few times already?
Let me guess, you are somehow affiliated with 3DR or GoPro. If so, you might want to start looking for other work. Highly unlikely 3DR will still be around in a year and GoPro is still a monster short.

Let me guess, you are somehow affiliated with 3DR or GoPro. If so, you might want to start looking for other work. Highly unlikely 3DR will still be around in a year and GoPro is still a monster short.
Quite the contrary. Look at my sig. My point was that "3DR vs DJI" and "DJI vs GoPro" debate has happened at least 2 other times now on this very forum.

Quite the contrary. Look at my sig. My point was that "3DR vs DJI" and "DJI vs GoPro" debate has happened at least 2 other times now on this very forum.
Very little else to compare in thread called Solo vs P3 since the solo is months away from flying with a gimbal and these things are AP platforms. The GoPro vs DJI camera is about the only real comparison we can have with the vaporware solo at this point.

Very little else to compare in thread called Solo vs P3 since the solo is months away from flying with a gimbal and these things are AP platforms.

Months away? I would like to think 3 weeks away but could be wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20