3D Robotics Solo vs Dji Phantom 3 Pro

I can't imagine that DJI wants to help 3DR or GoPro by making a gimbal, they want to destroy 3DR, GoPro, and anyone else that enters the market. Just read the Forbes articles on the subject and you will get the idea pretty quick. I think the DJI founder said "we are big and we will beat them...Hulk Smash" or something along those lines.

Now a dslr gimbal for the inspire might be a smart move.

I can't imagine that DJI wants to help 3DR or GoPro by making a gimbal, they want to destroy 3DR, GoPro, and anyone else that enters the market. Just read the Forbes articles on the subject and you will get the idea pretty quick. I think the DJI founder said "we are big and we will beat them...Hulk Smash" or something along those lines.

Now a dslr gimbal for the inspire might be a smart move.

LOL, that forbes article is the only reason I have not ordered a P3 yet. Wang is a ****.

Hoping the Solo works for me. If not I will be stuck with a Wang Job !

Reactions: Apparition
o_O What you did there, I see it.

Have the feeling you'll eventually have a P3.

Maybe. It will only be for distance as there is no other reason for me. If I do it will be an advanced model and not pro.

Was going to sell my V+ but they are cheap and expendable now. So flying it like I stole it and having a BALL.

Reactions: Apparition
I use the fisheye for 30% of my work, with and without distortion correction through after effects. The other 70% of the time I'm shooting in medium anyway.
Then you are using fisheye for 100% of your work.
Shooting medium doesn't change the lens.
It just cuts off the edges to leave the centre of the image with the same fisheye distortion intact.

Then you are using fisheye for 100% of your work.
Shooting medium doesn't change the lens.
It just cuts off the edges to leave the centre of the image with the same fisheye distortion intact.
I know.. But the distortion correction on the center of the image doesn't stretch the pixels as far as the edges, nor needs as much relative correction. Your right.. Same glass..

I can't imagine that DJI wants to help 3DR or GoPro by making a gimbal, they want to destroy 3DR, GoPro, and anyone else that enters the market.
I don't think that if DJI made more third party gimbals for their inspire that it would help anyone else except themselves.. Their success has been a result of nothing more than manufacturing the right drone at the right time. They used GoPro integration to do remarkably well in Phantom 2 sales. They currently makes numerous 3rd party gimbals for their "S" series drones. It makes sense for them to not offer an interchangeable camera for the Phantom line making it the "All you need in one box drone". But for the Inspire... Well, I think the option to fly any light action camera helps to place it in the professional category.

DJI has been making drones for a while now.. They are good at it. Gopro has been making cameras for a while and they are good at it. DJI just started making cameras, and they aren't so good at it. I think it's pretty arrogant of DJI to think they can compete with camera manufacturers that all have at least 8 years of R&D on them..

As a Photographer.. I would rather be able to upgrade my camera when image technology improves, rather than having to upgrade the camera platform... I look at the drone, the same I look at a tripod, a jib, or a dolly.

I don't think that if DJI made more third party gimbals for their inspire that it would help anyone else except themselves.. Their success has been a result of nothing more than manufacturing the right drone at the right time. They used GoPro integration to do remarkably well in Phantom 2 sales. They currently makes numerous 3rd party gimbals for their "S" series drones. It makes sense for them to not offer an interchangeable camera for the Phantom line making it the "All you need in one box drone". But for the Inspire... Well, I think the option to fly any light action camera helps to place it in the professional category.

DJI has been making drones for a while now.. They are good at it. Gopro has been making cameras for a while and they are good at it. DJI just started making cameras, and they aren't so good at it. I think it's pretty arrogant of DJI to think they can compete with camera manufacturers that all have at least 8 years of R&D on them..

As a Photographer.. I would rather be able to upgrade my camera when image technology improves, rather than having to upgrade the camera platform... I look at the drone, the same I look at a tripod, a jib, or a dolly.
Everybody makes cameras and GoPros are cheap action cameras in a waterproof case. There are already competitors with cameras just as good for under $100 and GoPro has a lower market cap than the private 10 billion valuation of DJI because Wall Street knows they won't be able to keep selling their crappy cameras at super high prices with increasing competition.

The GoPro is a compromise jack of all trades that is not particularly good at AP. I'd expect DJIs next camera to be even more superior to the GoPro than its current camera, which is way better for AP out of the box than GoPro. I own both and it's no contest. 3DR and GoPro have almost no chance at any future in drones. If and when the Solo flops, it's bye bye 3DR. Only someone easily fooled would by into the 3DR marketing shtick.

If the inspire had the performance and the battery to fly a DSLR and it's gimbal it would be sweet.. But I'm not sure it could.
The age of lugging a heavy DSLR into the air, needing a huge drone and putting up with short flight times has passed.
Dedicated aerial cameras are the way to go and we're watching their evolution.
Should be some really great machines to choose from in the next year or so.

The age of lugging a heavy DSLR into the air, needing a huge drone and putting up with short flight times has passed.
I hope your right.. And if DJI can make a camera that surpasses the image quality of the Hero4 or the Hero5, I hope they don't handcuff it to a particular drone. DJI has a reputation of greed.. They know that they can make more money selling a complete drone and camera package, than just selling an upgraded camera to an existing drone.

I'm not so sure that the small dedicated camera drones will be replacing any of the larger drones for high end work.. Currently the entertainment industry, more specifically, features, commercials and TV are using Drone Companies. They won't touch anyone with a GoPro, A DJI camera, a GH4, or even a 5d... They want to fly "RED's" period. The 3 companies that are now getting all the work are all set up to fly everything from the Epic to the Phantom and they are supplying the DP with remote wheels to operate the camera like they would on a technocrane. Yes, they can edit GoPro, GH4, or DSLR footage with Alexa footage, but they don't have to... And as long as companies are providing those systems, you will never see anything less providing drone footage to the high end clients.

Last edited:
Everybody makes cameras and GoPros are cheap action cameras in a waterproof case. There are already competitors with cameras just as good for under $100 and GoPro has a lower market cap than the private 10 billion valuation of DJI because Wall Street knows they won't be able to keep selling their crappy cameras at super high prices with increasing competition.

The GoPro is a compromise jack of all trades that is not particularly good at AP. I'd expect DJIs next camera to be even more superior to the GoPro than its current camera, which is way better for AP out of the box than GoPro. I own both and it's no contest. 3DR and GoPro have almost no chance at any future in drones. If and when the Solo flops, it's bye bye 3DR. Only someone easily fooled would by into the 3DR marketing shtick.
Which GP do you have?

DJI has a reputation of greed. They know that they can make more money selling a complete drone and camera package, than just selling an upgraded camera to an existing drone.
They made the Inspire with a modular camera/gimbal.
I'd be surprised if we don't see something new to dangle under the Inspire one of these days.

And if we're lucky it will trickle down to P3 size/cost machines too.

Reactions: Buzz313th
I'm not so sure that the small dedicated camera drones will be replacing any of the larger drones for high end work.. Currently the entertainment industry, more specifically, features, commercials and TV are using Drone Companies. They won't touch anyone with a GoPro, A DJI camera, a GH4, or even a 5d... They want to fly "RED's" period. The 3 companies that are now getting all the work are all set up to fly everything from the Epic to the Phantom and they are supplying the DP with remote wheels to operate the camera like they would on a technocrane. Yes, they can edit GoPro, GH4, or DSLR footage with Alexa footage, but they don't have to... And as long as companies are providing those systems, you will never see anything less providing drone footage to the high end clients.

Agreed. This is the new benchmark: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicmicrocinemacamera

Then there's the new Alexa Mini which weighs in at 5lbs so not exactly a featherweight.

There are already competitors with cameras just as good for under $100 and GoPro has a lower market cap than the private 10 billion valuation of DJI because Wall Street knows they won't be able to keep selling their crappy cameras at super high prices with increasing competition.

If you can't tell the difference between a $100 camera and a GoPro, congrats, you've saved yourself some money. But there's no comparison for just about everyone else.

I'd expect DJIs next camera to be even more superior to the GoPro than its current camera, which is way better for AP out of the box than GoPro. I own both and it's no contest.

It's very unlikely DJI will be able to trump GoPro at their own business. A new model is around the corner. And let's not forget DJI copied the GoPro. They did a pretty decent job of it but the lack of expertise in compression and imaging algorithms shows. All the experts agree on this. Even the ones who own and use Inspires. Fortunately DJI can improve the firmware if they figure it out. Hopefully they don't leave it at "it's good enough".

Maybe you guys don't watch TV but DJI is all over the morning news from drone discovery on GMA to Matt Lauer biking with a DJI inspire. DJI cameras are already being used on national morning news programs, get your heads out of the sand and toss your GoPro in garbage.

Agreed. This is the new benchmark: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicmicrocinemacamera

Then there's the new Alexa Mini which weighs in at 5lbs so not exactly a featherweight.

If you can't tell the difference between a $100 camera and a GoPro, congrats, you've saved yourself some money. But there's no comparison for just about everyone else.

It's very unlikely DJI will be able to trump GoPro at their own business. A new model is around the corner. And let's not forget DJI copied the GoPro. They did a pretty decent job of it but the lack of expertise in compression and imaging algorithms shows. All the experts agree on this. Even the ones who own and use Inspires. Fortunately DJI can improve the firmware if they figure it out. Hopefully they don't leave it at "it's good enough".
Why do you think GoPro is at any kind of cutting edge? They use Sony chips, who by the way make dozens of cameras better than a GoPro. My phone takes much better photos than any GoPro. Kodak invented digital cameras, companies like Nikon and Cannon owned the market place. Every phone has a variable focus mini camera. GoPro is just crappy little action cam with a distorted view in a waterproof case. They have no long term competetive advantage and have been one of the biggest losers of the year on Wall Street. But the market is wrong and you are right? GoPro is a joke among hedge fund guys.

I could tell you why but clearly you have an issue with GoPro. Obviously it's not the the camera for you. However, it still remains the camera of choice for many people including many experts who own and fly Inspires and P3s.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20