3D Robotics Solo vs Dji Phantom 3 Pro

More hyperbole.

Reactions: ianwood and bbfpv
Don't get me wrong, the GP produces nice video with post production. Main stream consumers don't want do extensive editing. BTW, Do you think DJI is working on zoom AP cameras?
I think they are working in a better camera right now, dji is a very smart company.

Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 317
Let's have a serious discussion without flaming. For example, the merits of having an integrated camera. DJI has an integrated camera that is literally built into the Gimbal. The electronics are on top of the gimbal mount and only the lens and sensor are being balanced. Compared with a gimble holding a GoPro it is a much easier task. 3DR is clearly having problems with the Solo gimble whereas DJI is on their 5th generation internally manufactured gimbal. The volume of silky smooth p3 video is proof that it works elegantly. The Consumer wants something that works well period. These are AP consumer drones and the Solo is just marketing hype at this point with no onboard video and a Gimbal still in design.

Reactions: ranger052
And no real life reviews!!!!

At first I wanted a Solo but when I looked online there no reviews, no demos were given to anyone for reviews and that alone looked fishy to me.

Let's have a serious discussion without flaming. For example, the merits of having an integrated camera. DJI has an integrated camera that is literally built into the Gimbal. The electronics are on top of the gimbal mount and only the lens and sensor are being balanced. Compared with a gimble holding a GoPro it is a much easier task. 3DR is clearly having problems with the Solo gimble whereas DJI is on their 5th generation internally manufactured gimbal. The volume of silky smooth p3 video is proof that it works elegantly. The Consumer wants something that works well period. These are AP consumer drones and the Solo is just marketing hype at this point with no onboard video and a Gimbal still in design.
I assume you're getting some of your info from this

The brokerage firm views GoPro’s cameras as seriously lagging in terms of hardware/software user interface, services and technological capabilities.
In the long-term, we believe the addressable market for GoPro’s cameras is limited, if not shrinking under competition (drones). And improving smartphone camera capability will seal general consumer market from GoPro’s reach. We believe GoPro’s lack on product expertise from delivering long-term growth.

Read more: Oppenheimer Changes Mind on GoPro for the Near Term (NASDAQ: GPRO) - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/consumer-elect...-analyst-changes-mind-on-gopro/#ixzz3amx8Oavg

GoPro has mastered marketing, their competitive advantage is marketing and not cameras.

I had not seen that piece but from what I see there it looks right. Agree 100% that GoPro is all about marketing. They created the action cam segment with it. However, competition is brutal and the consumer is fickle and marketing can only get you so far when dealing with competitors who offer similar products at a fraction of the price. GoPro had a first mover advantage and is good at marketing, neither is a sustainable competetive advantage.

I have been to other forums where they are literally going fist to face over the comparison discussion between the Solo and Phantom 3. It is absurd so I can really appreciate a meaningful chat on the differences. I have read from some alleged testers that 3DR is making several last minute changes to the design so I wonder if 3DR will actually deliver on time. The features they've touted so far would be nice to have in some cases and DJI may or may not deliver on their end but right now I would just be happy to get the DJI Ground Station to work with my P3P.

Objection. Speculation. The witness has no knowledge of what issues 3DR may or may not have nor what state their products are in. Nor does he know what "the consumer" wants.

I agree on the integrated system. I'd rather not have to tinker. I'd prefer plug and play. But for me, image quality supersedes simplicity. Which is why I still shoot everything with a P2, Hero 4 black and Lightbridge. If the Inspire/P3P gets a 3rd party option or DJI adds a 2.7/2.8K option and fixes the compression, dynamic range and exposure issues I'll certainly upgrade.

I think DJI maxed out the A9 which is why the video looks more in the 45MB/s range than 65MB/s. I have heard (unconfirmed) that much of their firmware decompiles have an uncanny similarity to Ambarella's development board demo code. So either they rewrite and optimize or bump up to the A10 which would allow for 65+MB/s H.265 encoding with room to spare for a 1080p preview output.

P.S. Let's not turn this into a investor discussion. This is not a discussion of market cap. There's nothing less informed than an investor and his institutional "analysis".

Reactions: Buzz313th and bbfpv
Objection. Speculation. The witness has no knowledge of what issues 3DR may or may not have nor what state their products are in. Nor does he know what "the consumer" wants.

I agree on the integrated system. I'd rather not have to tinker. I'd prefer plug and play. But for me, image quality supersedes simplicity. Which is why I still shoot everything with a P2, Hero 4 black and Lightbridge. If the Inspire/P3P gets a 3rd party option or DJI adds a 2.7/2.8K option and fixes the compression, dynamic range and exposure issues I'll certainly upgrade.

I think DJI maxed out the A9 which is why the video looks more in the 45MB/s range than 65MB/s. I have heard (unconfirmed) that much of their firmware decompiles have an uncanny similarity to Ambarella's development board demo code. So either they rewrite and optimize or bump up to the A10 which would allow for 65+MB/s H.265 encoding with room to spare for a 1080p preview output.

P.S. Let's not turn this into a investor discussion. This is not a discussion of market cap. There's nothing less informed than an investor and his institutional "analysis".
Didn't realize this was your forum, sorry about interjecting economics 101 in the forum. Why would you listen to a person with superior business knowledge or trust a market where people are actually putting their money at risk? I'd much rather take advise from a biased moderator who is in love with his GoPro. Jeez get a job.

It's not my forum but I will try refocus the conversation if there is too much noise. To remind you, it is about the relative pros and cons of the P3x vs. SOLO. It is not a conversation about short selling GoPro stock. If they were a high-risk company on the brink of collapse, talk of their viability might make sense otherwise it is irrelevant fanboy conjecture.

There's an OT forum if you wish to continue propounding your superior business knowledge about GoPro's horrid financial future. I am sure it will be well attended. End of discussion. Back on topic.

Reactions: N017RW
It's not my forum but I will try refocus the conversation if there is too much noise. To remind you, it is about the relative pros and cons of the P3x vs. SOLO. It is not a conversation about short selling GoPro stock. If they were a high-risk company on the brink of collapse, talk of their viability might make sense otherwise it is irrelevant fanboy conjecture.

There's an OT forum if you wish to continue propounding your superior business knowledge about GoPro's horrid financial future. I am sure it will be well attended. End of discussion. Back on topic.
Actually it's 3DR that's on the verge of bankruptcy and that is relevant. Also, since the Solo is not out and mere vaporware, why don't you leave until it's actually out and shooting video.

3DR just closed a $64MM C round in April. I'm growing tired of this.
Exactly Mr Wood. They have no real sales yet and are entirely dependent on Venture Capital money to stay afloat. If the Solo fails, 3DR is finished. If you don't understand that, I'm sorry for you. The fact that DJI released the P3 at the time and price that it did makes 3DR quest to be an IPO that much more of a fantasy.

Exactly Mr Wood. They have no real sales yet and are entirely dependent on Venture Capital money to stay afloat. If the Solo fails, 3DR is finished. If you don't understand that, I'm sorry for you. The fact that DJI released the P3 at the time and price that it did makes 3DR quest to be an IPO that much more of a fantasy.

Well then if we continue down your logic path... bye-bye DJI???

"DJI, the Chinese company that has emerged as one of the leaders in the burgeoning civilian market for drones, has raised $75 million from Accel Partners, the Silicon Valley venture capital firm.

The deal values DJI, which is based in Shenzhen, China, at about $8 billion, according to one person briefed on the deal who spoke on condition of anonymity. It is one of Accel’s largest investments ever."

Read all about it:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/...ker-dji-gets-lift-from-accel-investment/?_r=0

Sorry,

I'm done.

Reactions: ianwood
They aren't selling the Solo on Amazon which is a much better sales Chanel than BestBuy. I bet they sell almost none thru BB. What complete idiot would buy a AP Drone that can't take pictures or Video? They will sell very few without a gimbal.
Easy on the aggressive replies man, I think you're looking at this with way too much bias, most people that buy a retail "drone" are going to do so for ease of use, and for out of the box function. Many are gonna have zero clue on what a gimbal even is, they're gone use the body mount that comes with it (like the one that came with the phantom) they're gonna strap their GoPros to it and take "wicked" pictures of themselves doing ollies. Not everyone is a hobbyist, and not everyone is a photographer. 3DR is covering a niche in the market that DJI hasn't yet. GoPro did the same thing a few years ago with a rugged camera and look at them now, they are the consumer benchmark. You know how many photographers and camcorder companies mocked them at first, because they were not the first to try the rugged portable video camera. They marketed it well and blew up. I don't think the SOLO is going to "out do" DJI by any means, but they will be some solid competition and that's good for the market. 3DR has been around since 2009 with out a major consumer product, they have been building drone for hobbyists, and industrial applications, I don't think your "bankrupt" scenario is all that accurate. Everyone I know that has a 3DR product likes it, a couple like it more than there phantom.

Was doing some reading on the InspirePilots forums and came across a thread.. I think this guy nails what might be lacking in the DJI Cameras.. I hope DJI can figure it out and either release a new upgrades camera, or allow the inspire to shoot other brands.

With the latest FW I use -3. The sharpness tools available in most decent NLE's are far superior than the god awful sharpening in camera.

I make no secret of my concerns from day one about the Inspire camera and how it was marketed - It IS NOT a 4k camera. It was touted as one purely to sell units and to be a 'market first' UAV with a 4k imaging device on it.
I always said that 4k at 60mbps just does not work. Everyone can now see this but I fear the platform is so maxed out there is no room to squeeze a higher bitrate into the equation. (The camera runs hot enough as it is :confused:)
I absolutely love my Inspire but the camera is crap.

The problem is I think, the clever boffins at DJI are incredible UAV engineers and innovators but they know absolutely nothing about cameras, GOP structures, aliasing, de-bayering, chroma sub sampling, H/V ratios and vertical detail creation:mad:. I so wish they had farmed out the camera side of things to a company that knows what they are doing and had simply worked on an interface to bring the whole control function together.

Anyway...... I digress..... minus 3 it is for me on the sharpening as that's the best of a bad job at the moment.

The thread can be found here.... http://www.inspirepilots.com/threads/stupid-question-how-do-i-set-camera-sharpness.3126/

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT