3D Robotics Solo vs Dji Phantom 3 Pro

This is AP drone that is being released in a couple of weeks that doesn't even have a gimble. Give me a break. It will be months before we see any videos from a Solo and then they will be distorted with that GoPro fisheye effect. No one cares about the automated features and DJI will have them anyways likely before the solo gimbal is even out. Add to that almost twice the price and a fraction of the range the solo is likely to be a sad joke reminiscent of the Parrot products, who also like to advertise how fast their Linux processors run. Pure Vaporware and will likely pale in comparison to the P3.

This is AP drone that is being released in a couple of weeks that doesn't even have a gimble. Give me a break. It will be months before we see any videos from a Solo and then they will be distorted with that GoPro fisheye effect. No one cares about the automated features and DJI will have them anyways likely before the solo gimbal is even out. Add to that almost twice the price and a fraction of the range the solo is likely to be a sad joke reminiscent of the Parrot products, who also like to advertise how fast their Linux processors run. Pure Vaporware and will likely pale in comparison to the P3.
There is still time. And I use the fisheye for 30% of my work, with and without distortion correction through after effects. The other 70% of the time I'm shooting in medium anyway. For anyone that takes photography seriously considers the H4 to be superior to all the DJI cameras.

This is AP drone that is being released in a couple of weeks that doesn't even have a gimble.
Would suck for those that ordered a solo to have to wait a month or two for the gimbal.

I'm thinking a battery price drop on P3 batteries should be timed for when the solo releases. I hope the solo functionality is really there for those who have them on order but the simplicity and range of the P3 is still where it shines. I'm also not seeing how the computing power of the Solo is that beneficial when so much can be done using the computing power of the device hooked to the controller.

Personally, I'm not holding my Breath. Will wait till reports from solo owners come in before I decide. I'm hoping the Solo shines since it's the only option to give remote control of the H4.

If DJI offered a Zenmuse for the inspire that flew a H4 and gave remote control of the camera, I would buy two right now.

There is still time. And I use the fisheye for 30% of my work, with and without distortion correction through after effects. The other 70% of the time I'm shooting in medium anyway. For anyone that takes photography seriously considers the H4 to be superior to all the DJI cameras.
I would beg to differ, the p3 camera is right on par with the gh4 IF the user understand how to control the camera functions. Stills blow the GH4 out of the water as well.

I would beg to differ, the p3 camera is right on par with the gh4 IF the user understand how to control the camera functions. Stills blow the GH4 out of the water as well.

The P3 fits my flying needs better than the Solo and the P3 camera probably suites me better too. However everything I have seen shows the Hero Black as the winner for shooting video. I am not a photographer so the P3 camera would be great for me.

Looking forward to playing with my new Solo though.

Hey Blade..

Here's my complaints with the 4k DJI Inspire Camera that I haven't found a workaround for and if you can help me do so, then you will sell another inspire.

I want to shoot footage that is as close to raw sensor data as I can so I have the most image info to manipulate in post..

First, I don't want any image sharpening being done at the camera side. I can get a raw image in DNG format as a still out of the inspire with no post sharpening, but the image is not as sharp and does not have the dynamic range as the hero4 has. I'm not sure if it's related to optics or the sensor. How can I get a sharper raw image without using digital sharpening from the I1 camera?

In both stills and video from the inspire, I am noticing a lot of noise/compression artifacts when zoomed in on the footage in premier. It along with post sharpening contributes to horrible moire and pixelization. The H4 does not exhibit this amount if noticible noise in its ISO range. How can I turn off image sharpening on the inspire camera when shouting video? I have tried, using sharpness 0 through -4 although it does soften the image, it is still manipulating the pixels in regards to post sharpening.

If you take any inspire footage, except DNG stills, and you zoom in, you will see compression noise and digital sharpening and pixelization.

My humble opinion is that the DJI camera is not as optically sharp as the Hero 4 and its forcing post sharpening to hide this fact.

Blade, can you help with this?

Blade, when you refer to the "GH4" are you referring to the hero 4 black or the Panasonic GH4 Limix?

Hey Blade..

Here's my complaints with the 4k DJI Inspire Camera that I haven't found a workaround for and if you can help me do so, then you will sell another inspire.

I want to shoot footage that is as close to raw sensor data as I can so I have the most image info to manipulate in post..

First, I don't want any image sharpening being done at the camera side. I can get a raw image in DNG format as a still out of the inspire with no post sharpening, but the image is not as sharp and does not have the dynamic range as the hero4 has. I'm not sure if it's related to optics or the sensor. How can I get a sharper raw image without using digital sharpening from the I1 camera?

In both stills and video from the inspire, I am noticing a lot of noise/compression artifacts when zoomed in on the footage in premier. It along with post sharpening contributes to horrible moire and pixelization. The H4 does not exhibit this amount if noticible noise in its ISO range. How can I turn off image sharpening on the inspire camera when shouting video? I have tried, using sharpness 0 through -4 although it does soften the image, it is still manipulating the pixels in regards to post sharpening.

If you take any inspire footage, except DNG stills, and you zoom in, you will see compression noise and digital sharpening and pixelization.

My humble opinion is that the DJI camera is not as optically sharp as the Hero 4 and its forcing post sharpening to hide this fact.

Blade, can you help with this?

so -1 sharpening is not working for you?

Blade, when you refer to the "GH4" are you referring to the hero 4 black or the Panasonic GH4 Limix?
Sorry meaning gp4, have a gh4 as well.. Sorry I was on the road at 4am this morning.. got no sleep.

Reactions: Buzz313th
so -1 sharpening is not working for you?
No it's not.. Only because it's still doing post sharpening and manipulation. I want to completely shut off any post processing that would manipulate pixel contrast.. Just like when you shoot stills on the inspire in Raw mode.

What about the large amount of compression noise? How can I get rid of that in the mid tones and shadows? It's not noticeable when shooting stills.. But in video it's obvious.

And finally dynamic range..

Since I have your attention... Is there a possibility that DJI is working on either a higher end camera for the inspire, or would ever consider development of a Inspire Zenmuse that can fly the Gopros or even the Black Magic Pocket Camera?

Just by the looks and performance of the inspire. It appears it's usefull load is atleast double of the current weight of its present camera. So I'm assuming the platform was designed for other camera packages... Is this a good assumption?

No it's not.. Only because it's still doing post sharpening and manipulation. I want to completely shut off any post processing that would manipulate pixel contrast.. Just like when you shoot stills on the inspire in Raw mode.

I will see what R&D has to say about creating some more options or just a TRUE Log mode.

What about the large amount of compression noise? How can I get rid of that in the mid tones and shadows? It's not noticeable when shooting stills.. But in video it's obvious.

And finally dynamic range..

Since I have your attention... Is there a possibility that DJI is working on either a higher end camera for the inspire, or would ever consider development of a Inspire Zenmuse that can fly the Gopros or even the Black Magic Pocket Camera?

Just by the looks and performance of the inspire. It appears it's usefull load is atleast double of the current weight of its present camera. So I'm assuming the platform was designed for other camera packages... Is this a good assumption?

I cant comment on future camera upgrade;)

Reactions: Buzz313th
Can you comment on if DJI is considering making any inspire Zenmuse gimbals for third party cameras, or has been burned beyond repair?

I wouldn't be able to say.. People take words and like to twist them so I need to play it safe on this type of question. Sorry

I wouldn't be able to say.. People take words and like to twist them so I need to play it safe on this type of question. Sorry
I understand.. If you guys are working on the possibility of those requests.. I hope DJI would mention it in a press release before people start reporting on the functionality of the Solo Gimbal.

Just one more comment and I'll shut up.

Considering that the Inspire with a third party gimbal would be a fantastic professional solution to bridge the gap between the DJI "S" series camera platforms, for a mobile quick on the spot, pull it outa your car and shoot drone..... Personally I would pay a substantial difference for the gimbal and any factory light bridge upgrade to have that third party camera with remote functionality. It wouldn't be a consumer package in my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav