3D Robotics Solo vs Dji Phantom 3 Pro

Wow... That proves my point, I like dji but the gopro is far superior camera...
You know what they say about opinions...

This guy disagrees
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showth...e-1-how-good&p=1463863&viewfull=1#post1463863

"I have an inspire 1 and have flown 10+ hours on it already. It's an amazing craft and the camera is actually really good. I have shot extensively on GoPros from other UAVs and I would easily say the camera on the Inspire is better than any GoPro offering. I've also shot with a dragon from a UAV and it doesn't compare at all to that, but it's a lot simpler setup and isn't anywhere near the risk of putting a $60K+ package up. I think the camera falls right between a GoPro and GH4. The beauty of the Inspire is having full camera controls while it's in the air. You can switch between video and stills mode and easily toggle to manual controls and tweak every setting on the camera. Having the capabilities to do this while the craft is 3000ft+ out is amazing. I just shot up at Mavericks(surf spot) with the inspire and was blown away by the setup."

Yes it's my opinion, I have a p3 and a hero 4 black, looked at Both and found the gopro footage with more detail.

I will try to record a video in the same place to others.

I'm not sure I'd trust that guy's opinion. Comparing the DJI camera (or GoPro for that matter) to a Panasonic GH4 is absurd. The GH4 shoots at a 200MB/s bit rate on a micro 4/3rds system. Not even close.

I'm not sure I'd trust that guy's opinion. Comparing the DJI camera (or GoPro for that matter) to a Panasonic GH4 is absurd. The GH4 shoots at a 200MB/s bit rate on a micro 4/3rds system. Not even close.
Lol yeah... Gh4 is far but really far superior...

Understood, but since I've searched for the comparison I have noticed that it goes both ways. Both would be good enough for my uses so whichever works better becomes more important.

This just in from a private Inspire Facebook Users Group.

This is a quote from Philip Bloom.. The world famous cinimatographer who shoots CNNs "Wonder List" and has done many reviews for DJI and... Goes out on gigs with an Inspire and P3P.

One more drone post. Apologises. Asking for advice. What camera settings are people using the Inspire 1 and Phantom 3 (if many have that yet)?

I am not getting as good results as I should be in 4K. I know the compression isn't helping. Any settings that people have found would be great to list here and help any others.

Thanks!

Another Facebook quote from Philip Bloom today on Facebook.

Comparing the cameras on the DJI inspire , P3 and Gopro Hero 4 black http://www.provideocoalition.com/dji-cams?utm_source=Newsletters&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Newsletter

Interesting stuff although the switching out the lens on the GoPro is cool but they should have shown one without that too.

I do prefer the GoPro Hero 4 black image for one main reason, the protune mode. The Inspire 1/ p3 sensor is supposed to be the same. I would love to see the DJI cameras improve their software...both are too compressed for 4K too especially in lower light where it starts to go to mush!

I would still choose the Inspire 1 and P3 over a GoPro powered one due to the fantastic FPV/ control software. Makes flying a dream. I just need to work on the Inspire/ P3 footage a bit more to make it sing.

Another Facebook quote from Philip Bloom today on Facebook.

Comparing the cameras on the DJI inspire , P3 and Gopro Hero 4 black http://www.provideocoalition.com/dji-cams?utm_source=Newsletters&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Newsletter

Interesting stuff although the switching out the lens on the GoPro is cool but they should have shown one without that too.

I do prefer the GoPro Hero 4 black image for one main reason, the protune mode. The Inspire 1/ p3 sensor is supposed to be the same. I would love to see the DJI cameras improve their software...both are too compressed for 4K too especially in lower light where it starts to go to mush!

I would still choose the Inspire 1 and P3 over a GoPro powered one due to the fantastic FPV/ control software. Makes flying a dream. I just need to work on the Inspire/ P3 footage a bit more to make it sing.
Was out flying for the second day with my P3, the FPV is truly incredible. Really wondering if solo will be able to compete with it.

Was out flying for the second day with my P3, the FPV is truly incredible. Really wondering if solo will be able to compete with it.

I guess we will see.

I bet DJI is close to saying something about a new camera or gimbal for the inspire.

LIghtbridge is amazing, I agree. Going from a fuzzy SD FPV to a full HD FPV is pretty awesome. That is one of the big pluses for the P3. And considering that I paid the same price for my standalone LB unit as you guys paid all-in for your P3Ps, you got a whopping great price on it.

Reactions: Buzz313th
Ok, should I cancel my order for the Solo as a backup to my Inspire 1? What would you do?

Thanks I just looked over the table and skimmed the comments.
Yd3ZQvT.png

I dont know if the this is completely accurate, who ever made this table was not really doing a correct comparison? Follow me, orbit, mimic, where are those features in the Phantom 3, if this is referring to manual functionality then the "yes" would be wrong. And even if it is supposedly being developed it is surely not a definite yes.

I am a fan of Dji Phantoms and I haven't lost one yet due to any kind of product error "knock on wood" but I am always looking for most efficient technology sound products in the market so my loyalty would fall on to whatever company makes me feel like I would be getting my money's worth.

Side question what is "mimic"?

Some of the comparisons on the camera are somewhat inaccurate as well. Initially, at least one of the Phantoms was supposed to be dedicated for use with the GoPro Hero camera. Then DJI apparently decided to come up with their own camera and source. (This comes directly from the Fortune mag interview with Frank Wang.) The 3DR Solo is apparently designed to be used with the GoPro Hero 4. So, if you already have the camera, you don't have that extra expense. And, as far as the GoPro goes, you have several choices of mode/frames, etc., a couple of which significantly reduces the fisheye effect. Additionally, shooting with a GoPro camera allows you to use the GoPro Studio, which will remove the fisheye (for free) as long as it's shot with a bona-fide GoPro camera - some of the Chinese clones can't have the fisheye removed.

Reactions: EnronCEO

Your data on the GH4 is inaccurate, the max data rate for 4K/UHD is 100Mbps, 200Mbps is reserved for All-I FHD recording. And for the record he said performance falls somewhere in between the GoPro and GH4, I happen to agree with that assessment at low ISO.

Been thinking the same thing...... Ordered a P3/A W/extra battery the first week of May direct from DJI... At the time they said "Mid May". Then it was "10-14 days" Now it is "2 weeks or longer". Meanwhile they have had my money since then...

One of the main reasons I went with the P3 over the Solo was because the Solo wasn't available until June. Now it appears it will be June regardless.

I have several GoPro 4 cameras, and am comfortable working with them, which I consider a benefit, and REALLY like some of the features of the Solo..

The experience I have had so far with DJI, along with what I see from others, as well as the VAST difference in warranty and repair practices is making me seriously consider cancelling my order with DJI, order a Solo, and consider the P3 delay a blessing in disguise...

They way I see it, it is similar cost (especially since I already own the camera) with better features and MUCH better service. The only downside I see is the difference in range, and I really don't think that will effect my work... Even if the Solo has many bugs, they are unlikely to be worse than the P3, and the service/warranty is better...

And in the end, I have 30 days to decide if I like it...

Am I missing something?

Thr range issue may be a red herring.

Why would they not provide the max RF output allowed for the control system?

Makes no sense.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT