Zenmuse H3-3D 3-axis GoPro gimbal announced

FYI
I have filed a claim against Atlanta Hobby with the BBB. They basically lied to me about the product being in stock and then tried to ship me an older version. They also charged my CC in full with the gimbal being out of stock (against their own policy). Then I get the runaround talking to no less than three different people. I would not have done this is they did not lie about the whole thing. I see now they have changed their web site to read "Out Of Stock"

EDIT
Glad I called back to talk to Gary. The woman yesterday never sent the credit in for my CC. Sounds like Gary is the only one who can do that. What a bunch of ********

Anticipate said:
In case you haven't seen this thing in action, DJI has released some "real world" unprocessed test footage.

http://youtu.be/Trw9aS22w9s
WOW! I definitely need one of those. I think I will just buy another multi-rotor. If I buy one for an F-550, can I exchange it with my P2? In other word, are the Gimbals compatible with a P2 and F-550?

jgrissom91 said:
Anticipate said:
In case you haven't seen this thing in action, DJI has released some "real world" unprocessed test footage.

WOW! I definitely need one of those. I think I will just buy another multi-rotor. If I buy one for an F-550, can I exchange it with my P2? In other word, are the Gimbals compatible with a P2 and F-550?
the current ones seem to have 'for Phantom 2 only" labels, so we're assuming these are shipping without GCUs. We'll need to wait for standalone versions.

jgrissom91 said:
Anticipate said:

I spoke directly with DJI last week and they confirmed that the current crop is only for the P2 since it does not have a GCU. The standalone version for the F550 they say is "coming soon".

I am confused. Will this new gimbal fit my current Phantom 2? In the DJI fitting video they say right at the end please note the fitting locations have changed on the NEW Phantom 2 ?

How does the gimball know which Yaw movements to dampen?

i.e will it try and stay pointing in one direction even if i yaw the quad on purpose? and therefore get the legs in view?

or will it just dampen yaw from changes in heading that are NOT as the result of a stick movement by the pilot?

Seems to me this is just a more expensive gimball that semi solves a design problem with the phantom. Would it not be better to have fixed the yawing issue at source and make the phantom more stable in a straight line?

lgeist said:
jgrissom91 said:
Anticipate said:

I spoke directly with DJI last week and they confirmed that the current crop is only for the P2 since it does not have a GCU. The standalone version for the F550 they say is "coming soon".

That's pretty crappy since the h3-2d says the same but works with other platforms and the h3-3d instruction manual says that it comes with them.

neiloakley said:

i.e will it try and stay pointing in one direction even if i yaw the quad on purpose? and therefore get the legs in view?

or will it just dampen yaw from changes in heading that are NOT as the result of a stick movement by the pilot?

Seems to me this is just a more expensive gimball that semi solves a design problem with the phantom. Would it not be better to have fixed the yawing issue at source and make the phantom more stable in a straight line?

It dampens yaw up to 5* from what I read. After 5degrees it will just turn normal.

Shrimpfarmer said:
I am confused. Will this new gimbal fit my current Phantom 2? In the DJI fitting video they say right at the end please note the fitting locations have changed on the NEW Phantom 2 ?

you need the adapter to use it on the version 1 Phantom 2. The 3rd axis motor would hit the bottom of the shell otherwise. I suppose you could take a dremel to your version 1. The version 1 Phantom will fit the P2 zen as well as the original zenmuse. Meaning the x and the + mount since it has that 5th hole. The version 2 will only fit the P2 zen and the H3-3D zen. But then again, if you bought the P2 with H3-3D, why would you get a H3-2D.

This may not be the only difference in the phantoms. Just like the Phantom 1 that had a few versions and each version was an improvement that was never mentioned by DJI, there could be some internal improvements. For example the FPV hub may be built in now. Not sure.

This is why some shady dealers like Atlanta Hobby have been getting a lot of complaints. They are selling the P2 with H3-3D combo packages on their website and shipping out the P2 version 1 to their customers. This means that someone is paying for the new P2 but getting the old one. I am sure if DJI will still sell the P2 with H3-2D because most dealers are out of stock for it and many have taken it off their site and replaced it with the H3-3D package. That means that shady dealers like Atlanta Hobby are trying to get rid of their out dated stash to early adopters who don't know any different. And by the time they realize it is different, it is too late because its been used and not able to be returned.

neiloakley said:

you can't fix the yaw issue at the source. it is constantly fighting the wind and in turn you get the yaw issue. If you don't want the yaw issue you could fly in ATT mode. I believe that like other 3rd axis gimbals, if you yaw the phantom, the gimbal will hold its direction to a certain degree and then realize you are purposely yawing and softly return to center. The human hand isn't a machine, Go into your phantom assistant and move your left stick up and down. I guarantee that you will see that you also move it left and right. Although it may be very slight, you move it. The phantom would think this is on purpose when it is not. If it worked the way you wanted it to, it wouldn't correct for those errors.

Shrimpfarmer said:

Does your P2 have a small, squarish hole in the belly for the 8-pin cable to pass through, or does it have a largish, round hole? The newer P2s shipped in the last month have the bigger hole, and that's what is needed for a no-mount installation of the H3-3D. Everyone else will require some kind of adapter plate to be released later.

neiloakley said:

All 3-axis gimbal controllers use some form of logic to control "follow mode." In short, if it senses small, jittery pans, like up to 5 degrees left and right, it will assume you're facing straight and will eliminate yaw. If it senses a pan greater than 5 degrees, it will assume you are intentionally panning, and smoothly follow and re-center when the pan stops. It works very, very well.

Yaw movements aren't a fault in the Phantom, they're a consequence of maintaining attitude. As you pitch, roll, get buffeted by the wind, it's natural to have some yaw introduced, which needs to be corrected for if you want the craft to maintain the direction it's pointed. You can try to make any and all aspects of attitude maintenance more precise, and that's a fair statement to make, but you'll likely have to pay more for more precise and isolated IMU components (think A2). I'd rather not have my flight controller cost 3x as much as my entire Phantom :)

Talked to my Dealer Today-Dronefly, and the latest news they have is 2 weeks before they arrive.
Helipal is in China-so it makes sense they have one. Interesting idea-I liked the video. But, I'd still like some RAW video directly from the camera. Something about that in camera footage on the left, just didn't look that sharp......maybe I'm just being too pessimistic?

havasuphoto said:
Talked to my Dealer Today-Dronefly, and the latest news they have is 2 weeks before they arrive.
Helipal is in China-so it makes sense they have one. Interesting idea-I liked the video. But, I'd still like some RAW video directly from the camera. Something about that in camera footage on the left, just didn't look that sharp......maybe I'm just being too pessimistic?

do you mean as a stand alone or as the P2 zen combo? The combo is already out and being shipped to customers. I would think that considering the cost of the zen by itself, it would be the best route to buy the combo, sell the P2 for $650 and buy a GCU for $50 on ebay. You would then get the zen for $350 which is $100 off retail.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31