Windows (7 and 10) not recognizing P4 when plugged in

Reaction score
I have tried this with 3 P4 drones and 5 different computers all running DJI Assistant 2 for Phantom. 4 were running Windows 10 and one was pulled from mothballs running 7. I have tried both the current version of assistant and the previous. The issue isn't with version number of either the OS or the software. It seems that none of my computers even recognize that the drones are plugged into the USB port (yes I have tried 7 or 8 different cables). Windows device manager does not register a new device plugged in. All three drones have freshly formatted sd cards installed. I am able to connect them to the controller and tablet and fly with no issues beyond getting an alert to calibrate on one drone. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the USB drivers and even tried this on a computer that has never has never been used for anything with a fresh Windows install. I do not have a Mac available to use.

I welcome any and all assistance.

Steve

I have tried this with 3 P4 drones and 5 different computers all running DJI Assistant 2 for Phantom. 4 were running Windows 10 and one was pulled from mothballs running 7. I have tried both the current version of assistant and the previous. The issue isn't with version number of either the OS or the software. It seems that none of my computers even recognize that the drones are plugged into the USB port (yes I have tried 7 or 8 different cables). Windows device manager does not register a new device plugged in. All three drones have freshly formatted sd cards installed. I am able to connect them to the controller and tablet and fly with no issues beyond getting an alert to calibrate on one drone. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the USB drivers and even tried this on a computer that has never has never been used for anything with a fresh Windows install. I do not have a Mac available to use.

Steve

Win10 sucks. first disable driver signing . then plug in the quad and turn it on, go into device manager and look at the ports, it should show a DJI port, if not then follow this video guide from 1:40 as it shows how to force install the driver (its for a P2 I know but the method is the same)

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Well... That was a great video, but it didn't work. Thanks.

If windows doesnt see a device getting plugged in thats an issue, i would suggest deleting all the USB items from device manager and rebooting windows and letting them reinstall
PS i take it you are turning on the quad ? does the transmitter do anything if plugged in ?

Last edited:
The P4 is running. All USB ports have been uninstalled at least once. The drones worked on these computers before Jan.1. Now...

The P4 is running. All USB ports have been uninstalled at least once. The drones worked on these computers before Jan.1. Now...
Hello, Are you using a different USB cable ? You should use the USB cable from DJI. If not the DJI cable, make sure it is a OTG rated cable (On The Go). The OTG cable will transfer data.
Hope this helps...

Hello, Are you using a different USB cable ? You should use the USB cable from DJI. If not the DJI cable, make sure it is a OTG rated cable (On The Go). The OTG cable will transfer data.
Hope this helps...
Yes, I am using an OTG cable. I have tried these cables with other types of devices and Windows recognizes them as being plugged in. Same cable used with drone does not trigger recognition in Windows. Thank you.

Don't want to be silly,do other usb devices work, like a cell phone? If so can Windows access the devices data?

Don't want to be silly,do other usb devices work, like a cell phone? If so can Windows access the devices data?
Yes. I've had no other issues with USB devices. I even tried connecting an old 256mb thumb drive I got from a conference and was able to get data from it.

Wow a 256mb drive, I still one as well, that covers the comparability tests, haha.
I use an older HP Elitebook 8470p, 2012 vintage it has 3 usb ports and Windows 10 for calibration.
The only strange I found was an older USB printer only liked one USB port.

Since I have no clue about P4's, are there two locations you can plug a USB cable into like the P3'S?

Rod

Added: I have been looking in the manual.

Last edited:
You said you test more than one comp. and more than one drone and cables etc.
Seems that you had done everything.
Does other devices than DJI plug in? If so, then I would go to trhe competent service (the problem is only which one. For comp. or DJI)?.
Or maybe better if you know a very good computer expert. It's always better in such situations to get help as the other person maybe see something that you have missed
This is really misterious situation.

Reactions: RodPad

Steve

Can we assume you power on the drone?

D

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Just like you , Aldot Steve , no connection !
For a long period of time , i haven't use my P4 .
I decided to instal DJI GO 4 and want to do the up date of the firmware.
I first use DJI assistant 2 , as recommend and my laptop don't recognize the P4.
Yes i have window 7 , the same one i always use and the original usb cable.
I try many time , uninstal & reinstal DJI GO 4 and try a few other cable but no results.

Have the Windows Event logs been reviewed for USB or Device connection errors?
Has the smart phone to aircraft directly been tested (ie performing a firmware upgrade via the smartphone type access)?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20