Why did this hsppen??

So I guess this brings me to my last question. What should I do? Should I turn my drone into DJI for analysis? Or should I turn my drone and to insurance, spend a little bit of money and end up with the new p4p and say screw DJI? They still haven't returned my original drone and I really don't trust them

So I guess this brings me to my last question. What should I do? Should I turn my drone into DJI for analysis? Or should I turn my drone and to insurance, spend a little bit of money and end up with the new p4p and say screw DJI? They still haven't returned my original drone and I really don't trust them

Given that there have been a number of reports of power disconnects with the P4P, and with the new battery lock sensor on the v2, it's probably worth asking DJI for a replacement. You could argue that they have implicitly admitted that there is a problem.

Is the hypothesis that the battery slid out and contacted the rear props? The rate gyros and accelerometers all register the first sign of the anomaly at 618.61 and the voltage drop first registers at 618.76. But to hit the props the disconnect would have to have happened first, prior to 618.61, followed by a time interval for the battery to move far enough to hit the props, which leaves a rather long gap between disconnect and voltage collapse.

Or could a failed prop have hit the battery and caused the disconnect?
That's a good point. I looked at the possibility that latency played a role in this and noticed there are some other aspects that don't quite add up. Normally, the abrupt power loss incidents are only apparent in the motorVolts signals; the motorSpeed and motorCurrent signals don't have time to change. But, the P4P incidents, this one and
P4 Dropped like a brick midflight
are different. The change in motorSpeed is apparent in the latter, and a change in motorCurrent can be seen in the first. I addition, neither of the .DATs exhibit a corrupt end of file that often happens with the abrupt power loss.

IMHO a failed prop causing the battery to disconnect is a bit of a stretch, at least for me. It's easier for me to believe that the vibration from a failed prop would dislodge a battery.... But, not a lot easier.

Given that there have been a number of reports of power disconnects with the P4P, and with the new battery lock sensor on the v2, it's probably worth asking DJI for a replacement. You could argue that they have implicitly admitted that there is a problem.
I knew you were going to say that. Ugh...in another 2 months I might actually get an answer from them :(

That's a good point. I looked at the possibility that latency played a role in this and noticed there are some other aspects that don't quite add up. Normally, the abrupt power loss incidents are only apparent in the motorVolts signals; the motorSpeed and motorCurrent signals don't have time to change. But, the P4P incidents, this one and
P4 Dropped like a brick midflight
are different. The change in motorSpeed is apparent in the latter, and a change in motorCurrent can be seen in the first. I addition, neither of the .DATs exhibit a corrupt end of file that often happens with the abrupt power loss.

IMHO a failed prop causing the battery to disconnect is a bit of a stretch, at least for me. It's easier for me to believe that the vibration from a failed prop would dislodge a battery.... But, not a lot easier.

The gyro and accelerometer data are broadly consistent with a 70 Hz (≈ 4000 rpm) perturbation sampled at 200 Hz, so that's certainly possible.

I think this is my plan...just found out that my original drone was shipped back from DJI Tuesday. Note: They said it was water damaged, never saw a drop, sent to them for a faulty GPS unit....hence the reason I don't trust DJI. Once I receive the original drone I'll ship this one off for analysis. Maybe they will warranty it...maybe not. They say it is in fact still under the time limit for warranty

Looking at the witness mark on the aircraft arm, that was caused by the prop which was under power. Probably the grating noise you could hear.

As it dropped out of the sky, it is unlikely it was running when it hit the ground with any power behind it so I suggest this happened in flight. If that is the case, to get that sort of deflection, it must have failed in flight.
Fitting non factory props (if they are non factory) will invalidate any claim you have against DJi.
Keep it standard on the critical flight systems and should something go wrong, you can claim.
Also keep in mind if the drone had hit a person or property and DJi deemed the cause was due to aftermarket props, any liability claim would be passed to you [emoji33]
I would go down the insurance route.
The prop separating could have caused so much imbalance that the flex in the arm deformed the chassis enough to release the battery from its housing??
I think you need an NTSB investigation to sort this one out [emoji6]

Last edited:
Looking at the witness mark on the aircraft arm, that was caused by the prop which was under power. Probably the grating noise you could hear.

As it dropped out of the sky, it is unlikely it was running when it hit the ground with any power behind it so I suggest this happened in flight. If that is the case, to get that sort of deflection, it must have failed in flight.
Fitting non factory props (if they are non factory) will invalidate any claim you have against DJi.
Keep it standard on the critical flight systems and should something go wrong, you can claim.
Also keep in mind if the drone had hit a person or property and DJi deemed the cause was due to aftermarket props, any liability claim would be passed to you [emoji33]
I would go down the insurance route.
The prop separating could have caused so much imbalance that the flex in the arm deformed the chassis enough to release the battery from its housing??
I think you need an NTSB investigation to sort this one out [emoji6]

What is an NTSB? Were those aftermarket props? I bought the 1st initial package off of eBay and it came with like 6 different sets of blades. Blue, red, white, Gray, black and another set on the bird.

All of these

Attachments

• 20180520_091805.jpg
    20180520_091805.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 309
I could have sworn that they were DJI props since they came with the bird and full package. Also...I bought from a certified dealer.

The clicking noise may have been arcing at the battery connections as well. Arcing would leave evidence if you view the contacts, it can be quite loud.

Reactions: Kissthesky
They look exactly the same minus the color
The clicking noise may have been arcing at the battery connections as well. Arcing would leave evidence if you view the contacts, it can be quite loud.
I'll definitely look! It WAS loud!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72