P4 Dropped like a brick midflight

Hang in there, friend. We'll have the correct DAT in hand soon enough ;)

FYI he did post the correct DAT on the DJI form:

P4 Pro shut off mid flight

Post #9.

I had a look with CsvView and this is all I found (last few milliseconds before FC stops recording - likely due to power loss):

P4Ppowerfailure.jpg

An abrupt voltage drop followed by loss of motor speed before EOF. Checked all the other obvious telemetry data and found nothing else.

I don't claim to be a subject matter expert here so please have a look as well.

There would need to have been a defect that caused the battery to disconnect.
That’s only a hypothetical yes. I was hoping for a true example as DJI could have classified it as a unilateral design defect. Then it would be covered. It’s a possibility since DJI, in fact, added a battery disconnect sensor to the latest version P4p, as was mentioned.

FYI he did post the correct DAT on the DJI form:

P4 Pro shut off mid flight

Post #9.

I had a look with CsvView and this is all I found (last few milliseconds before FC stops recording - likely due to power loss):

View attachment 98930

An abrupt voltage drop followed by loss of motor speed before EOF. Checked all the other obvious telemetry data and found nothing else.

I don't claim to be a subject matter expert here so please have a look as well.

Agreed - I see the same voltage decay, which is very characteristic of a sudden power disconnect:

2018-05-15_15-04-12.FLY025_01.png

That voltage collapse to around 7 V (at which point the FC stops) in about 100 ms is a recognizable signature. My first guess would be an improperly latched battery.

That’s only a hypothetical yes. I was hoping for a true example as DJI could have classified it as a unilateral design defect. Then it would be covered. It’s a possibility since DJI, in fact, added a battery disconnect sensor to the latest version P4p, as was mentioned.

DJI has sold millions (hundreds of thousands?) of P4s without issues with the battery disconnecting on its own. There is no indication that there is a design flaw. Send it in and see what they say. You never know ith DJI.

DJI has sold millions (hundreds of thousands?) of P4s without issues with the battery disconnecting on its own. There is no indication that there is a design flaw.

There's been a number of reports on this site of P4 series Phantoms suddenly dropping from the sky due to abrupt power failures. While those reports could be classified as anecdotal and dismissed, I suspect there's more here than is publicly known. Looking at the design of the battery housing on the P4 series versus the P3 series, it's clear that DJI favored form over function for the P4. While there is no "smoking gun", the fact that DJI added a battery sensor to the P4P V2 would appear to give more credibility to those "anecdotal" reports than DJI is willing to admit publicly. One only needs to ask, why would anyone add additional cost and design to a product unless there was justification for it.

Reactions: JamesVG
DJI has sold millions (hundreds of thousands?) of P4s without issues with the battery disconnecting on its own. There is no indication that there is a design flaw. Send it in and see what they say. You never know ith DJI.
The V2 apparently comes with a battery latch sensor which, to me, would indicate that they're concerned with the current latch design.

If it's still within warranty period, odds are good they'll send him a replacement. I can't think of any way to prove the operator was at fault here.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
The V2 apparently comes with a battery latch sensor which, to me, would indicate that they're concerned with the current latch design.

If it's still within warranty period, odds are good they'll send him a replacement. I can't think of any way to prove the operator was at fault here.

I think both of those are very possible. With DJI and the warranty it is always a crap shoot.

Consider this though, a latch sensor would only serve to tell the person if they inserted the battery correctly from the start, which is a very real issue. It does not mean that there are any issues with the battery latch itself.... only a human one that DJI has help prevent. My car has emergency blinkers. The installation of the blinkers don't indicate a known issue with the vehicle.

I am actually dealing with this exact same scenario at the moment. Latching the battery is always up most on my checklist. It's the number one thing I check before I ever take off. After about an hour of flight maybe a little more I took off to a 127' next thing I know it drops like a rock. Seems very strange since I always check the battery.

I would love to know the outcome of your situation with DJI. I am still waiting for them on data analysis. Considering just turning it into insurance and saying screw DJI

New P4 Pro. After a number of flights. 1200ft away drone just drops out the sky. It was within los and no obstacles. I just saw it drop with a aircraft disconnected message on the DJI App.

Flight logs attached.

Any insight would be appreciated thanks
OK I just had a similar event with new P4Pro Plus only 4 months old. Took off no errors, home point recorded, battery at 95%. 60 seconds into flight over the ocean the display showed aircraft disconnected as I watched it plummet 125ft into the ocean! I have been flying DJI Phantoms for over 5 years, well over 350 flights on this drone alone all over the ocean monitoring juvenile Great White shark habitat. What is my recourse with DJI if any...1800.00 down the drain in an instant! Only thing that makes sense would be the Battery died or disconnected.

OK I just had a similar event with new P4Pro Plus only 4 months old. Took off no errors, home point recorded, battery at 95%. 60 seconds into flight over the ocean the display showed aircraft disconnected as I watched it plummet 125ft into the ocean! I have been flying DJI Phantoms for over 5 years, well over 350 flights on this drone alone all over the ocean monitoring juvenile Great White shark habitat. What is my recourse with DJI if any...1800.00 down the drain in an instant! Only thing that makes sense would be the Battery died or disconnected.

The increasing frequency of these reports seems abnormal to me. This is starting to suggest some kind of design flaw or manufacturing problem with recent P4Ps.

The increasing frequency of these reports seems abnormal to me. This is starting to suggest some kind of design flaw or manufacturing problem with recent P4Ps.
Well...DJI kiiiiinda admitted it's a problem by adding the new battery sensor. I am still waiting on the results from the files I sent them! Mine is "supposed" to be under warranty!! We will see if they are willing to hold that up on their end...good luck and sorry that happened

Battery not being secured by both top and bottom clip will cause the one secured clip to pop loose with any flexing/change in direction, of the P4
I know because I saw it happen. Before flight make sure you can feel that the battery is locked in. On my P4 it is very hard to remove the battery when it is actually secured.

Battery not being secured by both top and bottom clip will cause the one secured clip to pop loose with any flexing/change in direction, of the P4
I know because I saw it happen. Before flight make sure you can feel that the battery is locked in. On my P4 it is very hard to remove the battery when it is actually secured.
Assuming the clips are the same on the p4 and the p4p... I don't see why they would be different. It's an apparent design flaw though! Several stories have come out about this including mine! No warnings, very warmed up ahead of time as I was flying for over an hour, way above anything it could possibly hit, full line of sight! Also my check list is extremely thorough. The battery being secure is at the very top.

We see this all the time. We made this video for are Phantom Rain Wet Suits but its a good example. Its not always the clips, it can be at times just a jolt that causes the disconnect of the battery.

Probably a good idea to start a new thread, upload the DJI Go 4 flight log and post the link...

DJI Flight Log Viewer

I think both of those are very possible. With DJI and the warranty it is always a crap shoot.

Consider this though, a latch sensor would only serve to tell the person if they inserted the battery correctly from the start, which is a very real issue. It does not mean that there are any issues with the battery latch itself.... only a human one that DJI has help prevent. My car has emergency blinkers. The installation of the blinkers don't indicate a known issue with the vehicle.
...blinkers were added in the earlier, not later designs of the automobile when traffic laws were established. It was never considered an engineering defect.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3