Which iPAD model do you suggest to fly with Phantom 3 Professional?

Reaction score
I am currently using a 4.7 inch phone with P3P controller which is too small. I plan to buy either an iPhone 6+, iPAD mini 4 or iPAD air 2 to fly with P3P. What is your suggestion on the screen size? Thanks.

The iPad Mini 2/3/4 is a nice size. If you're used to your 4.7 inch phone though, then an iPhone 6+ might be just fine for you if you're planning to upgrade to that phone anyhow.

Reactions: huber
I have an iPad Air 2 and love the size but it is cumbersome and the some people report the holder isn't strong enough to safely secure the iPad Air 2. I have been thinking of getting an iPad mini so it will fit in my case but don't know if I could handle the smaller screen.

I am currently using a 4.7 inch phone with P3P controller which is too small. I plan to buy either an iPhone 6+, iPAD mini 4 or iPAD air 2 to fly with P3P. What is your suggestion on the screen size? Thanks.

This comes down to personal preference and what works best for you. For me, the larger screen size works better because my eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be. :eek: So I use the iPad Air 2 with cellular.

My suggestion to you is to go to any electronics store, i.e., Best Buy, Apple Store, Fry's, etc., and try each one to see which works best for you, in terms of size and display clarity.

Reactions: JBJO and huber
I agree with dsd317, i prefer the size of the iPad Air, especially when you're already squinting in sunlight, etc. i can confirm the it's a bit too heavy for the mount (especially with a sunshade), so I just leave it flush with the controller and it works fine.

Reactions: JBJO and huber
Traded a iPad Air 2 for a mini 4 and am much happier with the size when mounted to the controller....no problem with the size.

This comes down to personal preference and what works best for you. For me, the larger screen size works better because my eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be. :eek: So I use the iPad Air 2 with cellular.

My suggestion to you is to go to any electronics store, i.e., Best Buy, Apple Store, Fry's, etc., and try each one to see which works best for you, in terms of size and display clarity.
Yes, I have checked the tablets and the iPad air 2 size seems to be nice because it is large. However I wonder if it is too large to install on the controller tightly. I had used 5.7 inch large screen phone earlier but got bored with it and then downgrade to 4.7 inch. But for the flight control, it seems larger screen feels nicer.

Ipad mini 4 is about the best choice overall.

Yes, I have checked the tablets and the iPad air 2 size seems to be nice because it is large. However I wonder if it is too large to install on the controller tightly. I had used 5.7 inch large screen phone earlier but got bored with it and then downgrade to 4.7 inch. But for the flight control, it seems larger screen feels nicer.

Another thing to consider is whether or not you're going to use an ipad cover. You may or may not have to add an extension to your controller holder depending on use and/or type of cover you use. When I get home from work I'll try to post pics of my setup with and without an ipad cover.

I've had no problems with ipad air 2 in holder. I've even let the controller with ipad air 2 just flop upside down when I have to use one hand to open my door while the other hand holding my P3P. Ipad stays securely on holder. A good neck strap comes in handy as well.

i have a cellular ipad air and a cellular mini 4 and i much prefer the mini 4. with a sun cover and the air i constantly have to tighten the holder so it doesnt flop around.

iPad Mini 4 is what I have. Works terrific!

1st pic = ipad air 2 with front and back cover on
2nd pic = ipad air 2 mounted to controller with holder extension and without front cover
3rd pic - front view of 2nd pic
4th pic = side view of ipad air 2 without covers and holder extension
5th pic - front view of 4th pic
IMG_3556.JPG IMG_3557.JPG IMG_3560.JPG IMG_3558.JPG IMG_3559.JPG
In pics you can also see metal bracket holder which is stronger/stiffer than OEM plastic piece.

I initially used my Iphone 6+ initially, then my Ipad Mini Wifi. I liked the size of the Ipad mini, BUT I wanted to be able to use all the features of my Phantom. So I found a NIB Ipad Air with cellular for 300 bucks... I like the larger size. Very easy for me to see exactly what I'm shooting..

I've heard many people have great success with the Invidia Shield K1

My son has an iPhone 6 but we need more battery and a somewhat larger screen for DJI P3P. I have an old iPad mini 1 A1432 I got for free with a Canon 6D but it is WAY TOO slow for DJI GO and Litchi.

I have considered iPad mini 4 (A8 7.9") or iPad Air 2 (A8 9,7”). Both fit the DJI's stock RC controller.

But I guess iPad Pro (A9 9.7") with 2GB RAM (like iPad Air 2) and Apple Pen support (our youngsters might use it to take notes at school) might be a better long-term investment.

I like the iPad mini size and I am a bit worried using a larger tablet in the field for DJI, though.

The new iPad Pro's screen brightness goes up to about 500 nits, an increase from the 400-or-so nits of the big iPad Pro and the iPad Air 2. iPad Pro’s screen is 40 percent less reflective than the Air 2. iPad Pro has a barometer -- when calibrated correctly it can be used to determine altitude, which might help GPS devices to lock on quicker and with greater accuracy.

I must also decide if I want the cellular model with built-in GPS (really only needed for DJI's Follow Me intelligent mode, and dynamic home point) and how much storage I really need.

9.7-inch iPad Pro review: What makes something “Pro” anyway?

I have an iPad Air 2 and love the size but it is cumbersome and the some people report the holder isn't strong enough to safely secure the iPad Air 2. I have been thinking of getting an iPad mini so it will fit in my case but don't know if I could handle the smaller screen.

I use a iPad Air 2 as well and every time I use something else it just isnt the same. Good luck downsizing.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've learned from trial and error myself and money permitting I'd definitely get one that has the best screen for outdoors, processor, LTE and a barometer for altitude. That's the Mini 4 for me after starting on a Mini 2.

-- zigs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers