Which External GPS tracker uses the people?

Reaction score
I suppose there are many flying its drone with an external GPS tracker. It might be interesting to hear what brand and what experience you have with this additional safety if something should go wrong.

I have tested several types, including the famous Trackimo and RF-V16. I used these until I found a smaller and more accurate tracker named Tractive. This view tracking live, it has an LED that you can choose to use. In addition, it can emit a beep.

Just as Trackimo and other GPS manufacturers, then you have to pay for this service, but it does not cost much, compared to what the loss of a drone to $ 1,000>

Take a look at the page for Gimbal Guard Team to find mount for your tracker.

I will be glad to hear about other people's opinions about GPS trackers. One thing is sure, I will never use TK-102 series. Here there are too many copies on the market, and that they work very poorly built.

I do not work or have no relations with these companies.

It is sad that we not can create a Poll in this forum :(

I´m sorry for my bad grammar.

Regards
Paal

Reactions: BigAl07
Last edited:
The Tractive looks VERY inviting. I may give it a go.

Anyone else tried it in the US of A yet?

Thank you Paal for your input and your grammar is great. I know several people who ARE English and they aren't as well spoken as you are.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Well forget about that. I went to order it and it states:

"Delivery to your country is not available" even though USA is one of the supported countries. I'll try other means to locate one :)

Found them on eBay as well. Be sure and understand you have to sign up for their Data Package.

USD 119.99 every 2 years ($5 month)
or
USD 124.99 every 2 years($5.21 month)

While it's not expensive you do need to allocate that into the purchase plan budget.

Reactions: NHCarl
Well forget about that. I went to order it and it states:

"Delivery to your country is not available" even though USA is one of the supported countries.
You can buy one here on Amazon. The reviews look pretty good too.

Reactions: BigAl07
The Tractive device seems to be locked into T-Mobile in the USA from what I can tell on their website. The coverage map does not look desirable for my needs.

My Tractive GPS tracker came in Saturday and I LOVE it! Now to figure out a secure mounting system and put it on the aircraft itself.

My Tractive GPS tracker came in Saturday and I LOVE it! Now to figure out a secure mounting system and put it on the aircraft itself.

Do you know if it is possible to just buy the device and use your own T-Mobile sim card?

Do you know if it is possible to just buy the device and use your own T-Mobile sim card?
It appears to be a sealed unit so I doubt you have that flexibility. It's a solid built unit and tracks very accurately. I've had it in my pocket now for 2 days just playing around with the software. So far I really like it.

Reactions: scunny

I found this on their website just now:

An integrated, non exchangeable SIM card enables the communication between GPS device, Tractive Smartphone App and/or Tractive website.

Is it 2G or 3G Cellular
Unfortunately it's currently 2G (I did NOT know this before I purchased it...grrr)

The Tractive GPS tracker uses 2G cell networks and can choose between multiple carriers in most countries. The device automatically switches to the network with best signal strength. You can find a coverage map on the websites of most carriers. Here is a list of countries that are requested most frequently. If you would like to get a coverage map for a different country, please contact our Customer Service Team.

T-mobile has stated they are going to keep supporting 2G on their network until 2019/2020 or further so I am good to go for a few years.

I suppose there are many flying its drone with an external GPS tracker. It might be interesting to hear what brand and what experience you have with this additional safety if something should go wrong.

I have tested several types, including the famous Trackimo and RF-V16. I used these until I found a smaller and more accurate tracker named Tractive. This view tracking live, it has an LED that you can choose to use. In addition, it can emit a beep.

Just as Trackimo and other GPS manufacturers, then you have to pay for this service, but it does not cost much, compared to what the loss of a drone to $ 1,000>

Take a look at the page for Gimbal Guard Team to find mount for your tracker.

I will be glad to hear about other people's opinions about GPS trackers. One thing is sure, I will never use TK-102 series. Here there are too many copies on the market, and that they work very poorly built.

I do not work or have no relations with these companies.

It is sad that we not can create a Poll in this forum :(

I´m sorry for my bad grammar.

Regards
Paal
I highly recommend the tkstar tk109. It's small, 3d printed mounts on eBay for your phantom 2 maybe 3 also. Does need a Sim card, I use speed talk 5$ prepaid card. I've called this tracker and text it tons of times and I still have 4.60$ out of 5$. Best GPS tracker for rc planes, helicopters and quads. Can be found at Sourcingbay.com for 42$ and 52$ two different tk109's I got the cheaper xgps works exactly the same as the tkstar. Same unit. Does give accurate accurate response when called if in view of the satalites. If it can't acquire a satellite signal it will go for the next best thing and triangulate off of cell phone towers. Lets just say I never had to use it. This is after loosing 2 phantoms and GoPro's already. It was time for cheap insurance, and insurance this is.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj