BEST budget GPS tracker?

.............. I do not know how their 2g is still active. But 2g is shutting down for good maybe this year. Every where for the usa.

Everyone has shut down their 2G network, EXCEPT T-Mobile. T-Mobile will be keeping 2G active until 2020 and has "pay-as-you-go" plan for $3/month. 30 mins/30 texts, 10¢ after. I use it for my TK102 tracker on its 2G network.

Everyone has shut down their 2G network, EXCEPT T-Mobile. T-Mobile will be keeping 2G active until 2020 and has "pay-as-you-go" plan for $3/month. 30 mins/30 texts, 10¢ after. I use it for my TK102 tracker on its 2G network.

It is only active in major markets and city areas. It has already been shutdown in rural areas by tmobile and its affiliates. Where i fly there is no signal for 10 miles at least. It works fine in 2g but its still a waste of money if yojr drone drops and your have no 2g service as most rjral areas will not.

The latest TK-102C is a 3G unit, it's on Ebay (UK) for £23.84. I've never used any kind of tracker, but I was impressed with the list of claimed functions available. I'm not sure how to place the URL link in this post (It's huge), so here is the UK Item No. 322473559919 if that helps. :D

Reactions: Neon Euc
i can just purchase any sim and use it with the GPS trackers right?
You can only replace the SIM card if it's removable. Most of the commonly used GPS trackers do not have removable sim SIM cards.

It is only active in major markets and city areas. It has already been shutdown in rural areas by tmobile and its affiliates. Where i fly there is no signal for 10 miles at least. It works fine in 2g but its still a waste of money if yojr drone drops and your have no 2g service as most rjral areas will not.
I've driven out in the country, 25 miles from the city, and it still works perfect. I guess, find out if you have T-mobile service and contact them for coverage in your area.

I've driven out in the country, 25 miles from the city, and it still works perfect. I guess, find out if you have T-mobile service and contact them for coverage in your area.

Have to be careful with that approach though. If T-mobile is partnered with another company (usually ATT) for extended coverage then they'll show coverage in an area but it's not 2G

I have used this 3G RF-v42 a few times now and it appears to work well

Attachments

• IMG_2303.JPG
    IMG_2303.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 370
  • IMG_2306.JPG
    IMG_2306.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 377
I've been hearing about one called Trackimo recently, how does the 3G RF-v42 compare with that ? anybody tried both ?

Reactions: zaptoo
Still using my RFv16 here. Seems to be working good enough for me for the time being.

The trackimo is good yes but a bit pricey. If you can afford it go for it.

Cheers

2G is shut down here too but my Trackimo still works on GPS.
Not Having to have a SIM and use a mobile network is why I'll upgrade to Marco Polo

Vodafone will close their 2g network in Australia March 2018. I believe it was supposed to be September 2017.

No complaints for me, my RFv16 still works & hopefully will continue to work past March 2018 too :D
Cheers

The trouble with GPS trackers is finding an economical way to run them . I was going to get a Telsra data only sim @$50 per year but they have discontinued that.
I am now looking at Aldi (they use the Telsta network ) They have a $5 sim that you can top up any time and that lasts 12 months .All the others seem to have a min $15 or more a month and the any credit of data does not roll over to the next month.
I have been happy with my RF - v42(3G) .The tracking is a bit slow .They advertise a position update every 30 seconds but I only been able to get it to update every minute. It is pretty accurate once it catches up ie when you have landed ...or crashed

The trouble with GPS trackers is finding an economical way to run them . I was going to get a Telsra data only sim @$50 per year but they have discontinued that.
I am now looking at Aldi (they use the Telsta network ) They have a $5 sim that you can top up any time and that lasts 12 months .All the others seem to have a min $15 or more a month and the any credit of data does not roll over to the next month.
I have been happy with my RF - v42(3G) .The tracking is a bit slow .They advertise a position update every 30 seconds but I only been able to get it to update every minute. It is pretty accurate once it catches up ie when you have landed ...or crashed

Depending on which country you are in. Why don't you try Vodafones 3G (365 day credit expiry) plan. You purchase the sim for $1 and then top up $10. Lasts for aaages. I've only spent $11 on my plan so far and still have about $5 left. Been running this for more than 7 months now.

You can update in settings how many seconds to update. I've got mine set to 15 secs. Do you use the "Reachfar" app?

We only really get Telsra coverage out here(country Aust) so it's only Telsra or Aldi .
I use the app to track .You can also phone the tracker which might help if you are close to it (it's not that loud). You can also take a photo with the tracker that will show on the app .Useful ? Well possibly.You could also call the tracker and stay connected while someone else walks around with a bell or whistle .I thought this might be handy but I haven't tried it .

We only really get Telsra coverage out here(country Aust) so it's only Telsra or Aldi .
I use the app to track .You can also phone the tracker which might help if you are close to it (it's not that loud). You can also take a photo with the tracker that will show on the app .Useful ? Well possibly.You could also call the tracker and stay connected while someone else walks around with a bell or whistle .I thought this might be handy but I haven't tried it .

Right no vodafone coverage in the country unfortunately. The RFv16 doesn't have the photo option but i guess it can be useful to see where you landed especially if your far away from your aircraft. Another option is sticking a note somewhere to ask someone to press the SOS button incase if found. That will send a text or call your mobile with the location.
Pretty useful device for its price.. Its good enough for me for the moment.

You can buy the RF -v42 for about $90 on eBay when or maybe if you ever need one .It seems well made although the start up tune might make you want to take a hammer to it:eek:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl