Which are better for Phantom 4 Pro: DJI filters or the PolarPro Cinema Series Shutter Collection?

Reaction score
I am in the market for some ND filters for my Phantom 4 Pro. Now I need this forum's help.

I just joined the Phantom Pilots forums today, but I have been reading them and learning for quite some time, I just never joined until now because I didn't exactly have a reason to post until now. I came across a thread here last night while researching the filters I want to get. I see in the comparison on the first page of that thread I came across here that the PolarPro ND8 filter seems to have quite a bit of color difference from the DJI ND8 filter or the DJI UV filter. Please see this link to see which thread I am referring to:

Detailed comparison of commonly used ND filters

That was the standard non-Cinema Series filter used in the comparison though and I don't see any of the newer Cinema Series filters on that comparison for reference. Keep in mind that the comparison thread there is on the P3 forum and I have a Phantom 4 Pro, but it still makes me debate them a bit. So that's where I need everyone's help here PLEASE.

I am torn between purchasing the DJI ND4, ND8, and ND16 filters - or purchasing the PolarPro Cinema Series Shutter Collection filters. I'm gonna eventually go with one or the other. Now is where I need everyone's help PLEASE.

I have tried to do lots of research into the matter and I am honestly getting mixed signals on it. So many people write that PolarPro Cinema Series filters are top of the line with their advertised higher quality glass. The PolarPro Cinema Series filters seem to be what everyone recommends for the most part, but I have read mixed reviews on them while comparing them to the DJI filters, which seem super neutral as far as I have read and seen (which they should be of course, as they are made through DJI by the same people that made the P4P camera so they should be a perfect match).

The standard PolarPro filters used in the comparison on the thread I linked above seem to introduce a bit of warmth to the lens, making your overall pic or video look a little warmer than normal. What about the Cinema Series filters though? Do they do the same thing? The object of filters is that you don't want them introducing color change. You want them to be as neutral as possible so they show the colors as truly as possible. How do the PolarPro Cinema Series filters, specifically the Shutter Collection that I am interested in, match up to staying neutral like the DJI filters do though? The DJI ones in that comparison thread seem to be SUPER neutral, which is a good thing, and since it was for a P3, I am assuming the DJI P4P filters stay just as neutral.

I've watched videos on the Black Raven Films YouTube channel which compared the PolarPro Cinema Series ND/PL filters to the DJI ND only filters, but that's not an accurate test because you can't compare polarized filters to non-polarized filters and get accurate comparison results. That's like comparing apples to oranges and expecting the apples to be orange. Not accurate. I need something that compares the PolarPro Cinema Series Shutter Collection ND-only filters to the DJI ND-only filters. I have never seen a comparison of such on a video or in pictures.

The thing I really like about the DJI filters is that they seem to be as neutral as can be, and they are the exact same size as the stock UV filter too, meaning you can use the stock gimbal guard clamp with them still attached to your camera. You can't do that with the PolarPro filters. I did ask Jeff from PolarPro about that though, and he said that the Cinema Series Shutter Collection would actually fit in the stock gimbal guard that comes with the Phantom 4 Pro (the Vivid Collection won't because they are a tad longer) but that the Shutter Collection filters would be a very tight fit with the stock gimbal guard, so he recommends getting the P4P lens cover that PolarPro just came out with. The only problem with the lens covers from them is that it protects the lens filter attached to your camera, sure, but although it does provide some gimbal stabilization, it doesn't stabilize the gimbal during transport as much as the stock gimbal guard. It would be a pain in the butt to have to take off your PolarPro filter at the end of your flight all of the time just to put the stock UV filter back on in order to use the stock gimbal guard when packing up. Not a total deal breaker, but it's definitely worth mentioning because lots of us like to pack up and move to another spot pretty quickly when trying to get our shots and time is valuable. I know I could get the lens cover PP just came out with if the Shutter Collection is indeed too tight of a fit for the stock gimbal guard, but I don't like the fact that it looks like it doesn't provide as much stabilization and support for the gimbal as the stock DJI gimbal guard does. I have never used the lens cover from PP, but I have spoken with many who have used the PP lens cover on a standard P4 and they all have told me that it does protect the gimbal but the gimbal can still wobble just a hair with it on. My Phantom 4 Pro gimbal guard won't allow ANYTHING to wobble, AT ALL.

Anyways....

So between the Phantom 4 Pro filters that DJI makes and the Phantom 4 Pro PolarPro Cinema Series Shutter Collection filters, which ones are truly the best as far as providing neutral colors and providing clarity? PolarPro Cinema Series filters are are advertised as being made with higher quality glass than the DJI filters and they also have a lower refractive index, and are also multicoated with AR coatings to help reduce lens flaring, enhancing clarity. Is the difference really noticeable or are the differences subtle?

I did come across another review on the two last night which actually says that the DJI ones are made with higher quality glass than the PolarPro, even if it is the Cinema Series you are comparing DJI ones to. That goes against what PolarPro advertises in that the Cinema Series is a higher quality glass than what DJI uses. Check this link here and scroll about halfway down the page and you will see DJI at number 2 and PolarPro at number 3.

A quick review of ND filters for the DJI Phantom

Is that comparison even accurate?

I know this is a long thread and thanks for anyone who is still reading, but I'm here to ask all of you which ones are truly the best? Which ones do you recommend, and why? Please do not be totally biased because you use one over the other, and please do not actually recommend one over the other if you have never actually used both.

Please do feel free to post your opinions on it though for me cuz I need to make up my mind on it and I am having a very hard time doing just that.

Reactions: B25J
I have owned almost all of the collections from Polar Pro and have been super satisfied with them all. I would highly recommend the Shutter Collection for your P4P man. To get your shutter speed dialed in at the optimum aperture you want to use you'll need the ND8 and mostly the ND16 for daytime flying. This will get you around F5.6 or so at 60th of a second if your shooting at 30FPS. I would never buy a polarizer built in type for me. Im not flying over water or reflective things that much. Plus you have to adjust or rotate them just right for the angle your flying too. Great glass imo on all Polar Pro products.

Reactions: cneedelman
Saw your post in my email referring to the existing Filter comparison. I can't speak to the second link you provided which is limited to only a few brands. I would recommend you go through the more detailed comparison in the first link (if you can) thoroughly.. There are some very distinct issues across brands, including one that you are considering. The most critical issue is whether or not a ND introduces some color change. Very early in the other thread, the OP shows comparisons across filter brands and some of the filters that introduce a "warm" tint are immediately obvious. White balance can be corrected for in post processing, but a Neutral Density filter should NOT be introducing color.. by its name, it should be neutral. You have a P4 Pro, so your choices may (or may not) be the same as P3 Pro (since the cameras are different). I would expect though that a company making filters for both would use the same process for the glass part of the filter as it related to color, clarity, etc.. DJI (as I mention in the other thread) are very thin aluminum. This is good for weight but also means you have to be careful handling so as not to get them out of round. Hope this helps.. Again I'd read that entire other thread before spending hard earned money. :) Good flying..

Saw your post in my email referring to the existing Filter comparison. I can't speak to the second link you provided which is limited to only a few brands. I would recommend you go through the more detailed comparison in the first link (if you can) thoroughly.. There are some very distinct issues across brands, including one that you are considering. The most critical issue is whether or not a ND introduces some color change. Very early in the other thread, the OP shows comparisons across filter brands and some of the filters that introduce a "warm" tint are immediately obvious. White balance can be corrected for in post processing, but a Neutral Density filter should NOT be introducing color.. by its name, it should be neutral. You have a P4 Pro, so your choices may (or may not) be the same as P3 Pro (since the cameras are different). I would expect though that a company making filters for both would use the same process for the glass part of the filter as it related to color, clarity, etc.. DJI (as I mention in the other thread) are very thin aluminum. This is good for weight but also means you have to be careful handling so as not to get them out of round. Hope this helps.. Again I'd read that entire other thread before spending hard earned money. :) Good flying..
Yeah I had originally posted my question in the thread I first linked to posted by "msinger"

That's probably why you got an email about it is because you had some comments of your own in that thread as well. I definitely have read over it a few times and looked at the pics quite a bit. Still on the edge though and that's why I deleted my comment in that thread and posted my own new thread here in the P4P area.

I would assume that even the Cinema Series from PP introduces a bit of warmth too, but supposedly being completely different and higher quality glass than their standard 3-pack of filters that was used in that comparison, I can't say for certain if they are the same or if the Cinema Series is now more neutral.

I have owned almost all of the collections from Polar Pro and have been super satisfied with them all. I would highly recommend the Shutter Collection for your P4P man. To get your shutter speed dialed in at the optimum aperture you want to use you'll need the ND8 and mostly the ND16 for daytime flying. This will get you around F5.6 or so at 60th of a second if your shooting at 30FPS. I would never buy a polarizer built in type for me. Im not flying over water or reflective things that much. Plus you have to adjust or rotate them just right for the angle your flying too. Great glass imo on all Polar Pro products.
Oh I totally understand how to use ND filters. I had a Phantom 4 before I bought my Phantom 4 Pro. With my P4, I used DJI filters and they worked as they should. I've never used PolarPro but so many people I have talked to or read comments from, use them. That's why I looked into em.

I like how PolarPro's Shutter Collection has an ND8, ND16, and an ND32. The DJI ones for the P4P only have ND4, ND8, and ND16. The ND4 is hardly used by most people, only when cloudy really, and the ND8 can do what you can do with the ND4 with some slight tweaking. The ND32 from PP however, would allow for longer daytime exposures, creating some cool effects, and it would also be useful to get the correct shutter speed when an ND16 just doesn't cut it on one of those overly sunny days.

I don't want to use a polarizer either because I too don't want to mess with trying to fine tune the camera before my shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog
Yeah I had originally posted my question in the thread I first linked to posted by "msinger"

That's probably why you got an email about it is because you had some comments of your own in that thread as well. I definitely have read over it a few times and looked at the pics quite a bit. Still on the edge though and that's why I deleted my comment in that thread and posted my own new thread here in the P4P area.

I would assume that even the Cinema Series from PP introduces a bit of warmth too, but supposedly being completely different and higher quality glass than their standard 3-pack of filters that was used in that comparison, I can't say for certain if they are the same or if the Cinema Series is now more neutral.

Understand... I cannot speak to the Cinema series, but I would hedge my bets and maybe go with an Amazon purchase for something that in the other thread shows up as neutral as well as the Cinema and compare.. I mean the PP in that comparison really were WARM!! Amazon is great on returns. As far as CP built in. I have no issues with it and use it regularly. I posted some shots that show the benefit of it, not just on seeing through water (so to speak), but also on color saturation, say for a sunset (which I think were some of what I posted). I explained in that thread how I established the max/min points on the polarizer aspect with the Neewer set I have (also referenced in that thread). One other item to note is weight. I "think" the Polar Pro were the heaviest of the bunch (could be wrong). I know the Neewer add about 5 grams vs. the aluminum DJI (which are the same as the DJI stock filter)... I always wonder just what the max design point is over the long haul for those gimbal assemblies. I asked DJI and they could only answer that their's were "safe to use" on the camera .. then again I didn't expect a different answer. :)

Again, my opinion would be to try a couple of different ones based on the other thread (assuming they have P4 Pro versions) and whatever other factors are important to you. Don't discount CP though.. can add a lot (and can also be subtracted in post if needed).. Another brand you haven't mentioned but that did very well and I know comes recommended are the TACO filters.. A little more expensive.. I personally haven't used them so can't offer first hand experience. I have used PP, DJI and Neewer and sent the PP back... Sorry if this makes things muddier (no pun intended) .. and again not a permanent decision if you buy from someplace with decent return policy.. Good luck..

Jay S.

P.S. From the other thread, you can see the effect of CP in these shots.. LOVE the color of the sky and greenery.. :) Everything just looks really clean and colorful.. clouds are white, sky is blue, etc. :)

Detailed comparison of commonly used ND filters

Last edited:
One other item to note is weight. I "think" the Polar Pro were the heaviest of the bunch (could be wrong). I know the Neewer add about 5 grams vs. the aluminum DJI (which are the same as the DJI stock filter)... I always wonder just what the max design point is over the long haul for those gimbal assemblies. I asked DJI and they could only answer that their's were "safe to use" on the camera .. then again I didn't expect a different answer. :)

Don't discount CP though.. can add a lot (and can also be subtracted in post if needed).. Another brand you haven't mentioned but that did very well and I know comes recommended are the TACO filters.. A little more expensive.. I personally haven't used them so can't offer first hand experience. I have used PP, DJI and Neewer and sent the PP back... Sorry if this makes things muddier (no pun intended)

The SRP was the heaviest in that comparison, right with the SLIDE ON PolarPro filter. I would never get a slide-on. Screw-ons or nothing at all for me.

I did recently email Jeff from PolarPro and asked about the weight of the Cinema Series Shutter Collection, and he told me, and I quote: "Our filters are a Net 2 gram increase, which is well within capacity of the gimbal. It operates perfectly smoothly. You shouldn't be concerned at all, many people are, however in the past 4 years of Filter manufacturing specifically for drones, we have never had to replace one gimbal."

So I am not too concerned about weight as much as I am worried about quality. The DJI filters seem great but they indeed are light and fragile. I had a pair for my old P4 and it felt like I could break em if I sneezed but I was always super careful with em. Sold all that and have a P4P now though, and I fly lots more and film lots more now, so I need filters to get some shots I have been meaning to get and can't without having an ND help me set shutter speed. Was looking to other places other than DJI this time around though because I would never use an ND4 when an ND8 can do the same thing with tweaking, so the DJI ND8 and ND16 is all I would ever use. I would like to have another one as well, which is one of the few reasons I was looking at the PP Shutter Collection cuz they have an ND32 that comes with that.

As far as CP filters go... I'm not discrediting them at all by any means. I have never used them before though and I know it takes a tad to set it right to get the shots you want. The hassle of having to fly back to myself and adjust it again and again when wanting to switch filming direction in relevance to the sun or switching to a slightly new location altogether mid-flight seems like such a hassle to me though. I will indeed say that CP produces some wicked good pics such as the ones you have taken. I have seen lots and lots of good pics and videos come from a CP. I just don't think I'm ready to make the committment to hassle with it between shots and such although I must admit that the end results for those who do are well worth it.

Last edited:
Im with you dude on the polarizers man. I just don't want to have to even think about that tbo. As for the Polor Pro's introducing a click or two points warm, I am always custom setting my WB in post to my liking anyway. So it's def not a big deal imo. Every scene is diff and requires a little of this or that as far as contrast and color.

No. The comparison does not include P4P filters.

Indubitably, it does not include P4P filters, as it is talking about the P4 and not the P4P.

But the part where it talks about PolarPro, it also mentioned the Cinema Series glass, meaning that they did know about it. Even with that said, it came in on the list below the actual DJI filters, so why? They did take the Cinema Series glass into consideration when making that article because there is a Cinema Series for the standard P4 as well.

Im with you dude on the polarizers man. I just don't want to have to even think about that tbo. As for the Polor Pro's introducing a click or two points warm, I am always custom setting my WB in post to my liking anyway. So it's def not a big deal imo. Every scene is diff and requires a little of this or that as far as contrast and color.

Kev,

In the original tests (which did not include Cinema as I don't think they were out yet), it was more than one or two points warm. As a part of that thread I took it all the way to the RGB measurements and the shift to the Red was fairly significant. Was this a bad batch, can't tell, but others have acknowledged the those PP shift red. Can RAW be corrected in post, absolutely, but as I've said, a Neutral Density filter should be just that "Neutral" with no hint of color rendition change, only an effect on the light let in. Tweaking for effect is different than tweaking for correction. I'm talking about this from the Pro side of photography (which I do for a living) and always want it the best I can coming out of the camera without having to resort to corrections in post processing..

Jay S.

No. The comparison does not include P4P filters.

@msinger The comparison though is accurate for the filters that were available. It's been pointed out that the unknown is if the Cinema (which are good looking filters) also have the same red shift. Unless the glass was redesigned (and resupplied) it could render the same shift to the red that the tests in the original comparison did. It would actually be helpful if someone from PP would provide a comparison (especially around White Balance) between the two sets. This whole discussion isn't meant as an attack on Polar Pro. There were several sets of filters in that original comparison that showed moderate to bad color shifting, while others remained neutral. This isn't restricted to Drone filters either. It's pretty common to see color shifts in ND filters for DSLRs depending on where the glass is sourced from and how stringent the coating specs are adhered to.. Low (LOW) cost and mass production don't lend themselves to optical accuracy.. In part why you pay a lot more for a B+W filter than a cheap import.

Last edited:
Kev,

In the original tests (which did not include Cinema as I don't think they were out yet), it was more than one or two points warm. As a part of that thread I took it all the way to the RGB measurements and the shift to the Red was fairly significant. Was this a bad batch, can't tell, but others have acknowledged the those PP shift red. Can RAW be corrected in post, absolutely, but as I've said, a Neutral Density filter should be just that "Neutral" with no hint of color rendition change, only an effect on the light let in. Tweaking for effect is different than tweaking for correction. I'm talking about this from the Pro side of photography (which I do for a living) and always want it the best I can coming out of the camera without having to resort to corrections in post processing..

Jay S.
I have def not seen a color shift on mine at all imo. Mine are the Cinema Shutter Collection btw. I had the Vivid's on my P4's and they were spot on perfect imo. But I shoot in Custom white balance of 5000. Sometimes I will fudge that in processing a tad depending on time of day shot and subject sometimes as well. But I would say I am def not seeing any color issues at all. And I'm pretty discerning when it comes to color man. I've been judging color for a long long time in our portrait business for 31 years to be exact! LOL. Maybe that's what it is I'm used to slightly warm cast because I'm a portrait guy! But I just think your always going to adjust whatever it is that your shooting no matter what anyway. I do this even with skin tones every single day. So many variables involved. But I agree with you that an ND should be neutral for sure!

@msinger The comparison though is accurate for the filters that were available.
To clarify, none of the filters I tested fit the P4P. I don't know if PolarPro changed the design/materials used in their filters since I did that comparison.

Reactions: JayS_CT
I have def not seen a color shift on mine at all imo. Mine are the Cinema Shutter Collection btw. I had the Vivid's on my P4's and they were spot on perfect imo. But I shoot in Custom white balance of 5000. Sometimes I will fudge that in processing a tad depending on time of day shot and subject sometimes as well. But I would say I am def not seeing any color issues at all. And I'm pretty discerning when it comes to color man. I've been judging color for a long long time in our portrait business for 31 years to be exact! LOL. Maybe that's what it is I'm used to slightly warm cast because I'm a portrait guy! But I just think your always going to adjust whatever it is that your shooting no matter what anyway. I do this even with skin tones every single day. So many variables involved. But I agree with you that an ND should be neutral for sure!

Good to know Kev.. I'm thrilled with the Neewer on my P3P.. If I make the jump to a different generation of Phantom (P5?) then I'll probably be in the market for a new set of filters.. As I've mentioned for straight ND, I have two DJI NDs, but I do enjoy using the PL/ND ones from Neewer.. Great clarity and color..

And yes, the eternal "Portrait" warm discussion.. Nikon shoots warmer than Canon, etc.. :) (I shoot Canon) ... As a side note, no matter what you're shooting if you're doing portrait work, check out the Sigma Art 35, 50, and 85 1.4s.. I sold my Canon primes for these.. You won't look back...

To clarify, none of the filters I tested fit the P4P. I don't know if PolarPro changed the design/materials used in their filters since I did that comparison.

And that thread you started was an incredible amount of work by you (which we all recognized).. It truly was a very very useful thread. I just contributed what I could.. You're the one who got it rolling.. :)

Good to know Kev.. I'm thrilled with the Neewer on my P3P.. If I make the jump to a different generation of Phantom (P5?) then I'll probably be in the market for a new set of filters.. As I've mentioned for straight ND, I have two DJI NDs, but I do enjoy using the PL/ND ones from Neewer.. Great clarity and color..

And yes, the eternal "Portrait" warm discussion.. Nikon shoots warmer than Canon, etc.. :) (I shoot Canon) ... As a side note, no matter what you're shooting if you're doing portrait work, check out the Sigma Art 35, 50, and 85 1.4s.. I sold my Canon primes for these.. You won't look back...
I have heard killer reviews from several of my buddies that say the Sigma Art lenses are super! And I think you had that backwards on Nikon color being warmer than Canon right!!! Nikon is def slightly bluer than Canon. I wish I had started with Nikon tbo but it's too late now as I have been Canon for 17 years now. Been through every 5D series and now currently with the IV. Almost ready to jump ship to the Sony's tbo! I'm dabbling with video now as well. Stupid drones got me excited about that! LOL

I emailed Jeff Overall from PolarPro about half an hour or so ago in regards to the Cinema Series filters they sell and how their color neutrality compares to the standard PolarPro filters that were used in the comparison on the link I shared.

I asked him if the color of the Cinema Series filters had a warm tint to it like the standard PolarPro filter used in the linked comparison or if the color was fixed and made more neutral due to the higher quality glass that is used in the Cinema Series over their standard series.

This is what he sent me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170406-182741.png
    Screenshot_20170406-182741.png
    278.6 KB · Views: 643
With that said, I don't have a pair to compare to the stock DJI UV filter to test how true the color neutrality is.

BUT,

if Jeff says they are perfectly neutral then I'd bet his months of testing the Cinema Series would allow him to know that. I mean they ARE marketed as a higher quality glass after all. And they must be SOME sort of higher quality, because the Cinema Series from PolarPro costs $99 whereas the standard series they sell at Best Buy for the P4P comes in a 3-pack as well, yet only costs $50. That lower cost $50 PolarPro set from Best Buy is probably the glass with a warm tint while the Cinema Series has no warm tint and is more neutral.

That's what I'm guessing. I'm guessing that might be partly the reason they made the Cinema Series filters. I wouldn't think Jeff would have any reason to misdirect me unless he was confident in his new products and it sounds like he is. He has answered quite a few of my questions through a Facebook forum group I am part of as well as through email. Sounds like a pretty nice guy.

Last edited:
All that being said, what I ended up doing just a bit ago was, I ordered the PolarPro Cinema Series Shutter Collection as well as a couple of the DJI filters - the ND8 and the ND16. I bought the DJI ones just to compare them with the PolarPro Shutter Collection I also ordered and see how neutral they really are because I know the DJI filters are gonna be pretty neutral to the color of the stock UV lens. Sounds like Jeff is an honest guy and that the Cinema Series will indeed be perfectly neutral, I just want to make sure for comparison purposes. I will then send the DJI filters back to Amazon if I decide to keep the PolarPro filters since Amazon is where I bought everything from and they have a great return policy.

Thanks for the help everyone who commented.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.