Where to start looking

Reaction score
Hello all,

My P2 has taken a few hits, but I thought I got it all together well. The last two hits were run away flight from hover. Put it all back together with a new shell, tethered the P2 with string and took it out for 10' hover test. It took off well and stayed in one place reasonably well. I put son yaw into the controls to see it do something. Then it started pulling at the line but I could still control it. I let it recover and all was well for another few minutes, then it would pull again. It would settle down again. I tried it one more time and it yaw'ed and pitched down and hit the ground.

Where do I start looking? The status lights say it is OK, and it works well most of the time. But it has to work well all the time. Ideas? Please?

Andrew

Hello all,

My P2 has taken a few hits, but I thought I got it all together well. The last two hits were run away flight from hover. Put it all back together with a new shell, tethered the P2 with string and took it out for 10' hover test. It took off well and stayed in one place reasonably well. I put son yaw into the controls to see it do something. Then it started pulling at the line but I could still control it. I let it recover and all was well for another few minutes, then it would pull again. It would settle down again. I tried it one more time and it yaw'ed and pitched down and hit the ground.

Where do I start looking? The status lights say it is OK, and it works well most of the time. But it has to work well all the time. Ideas? Please?

Andrew

Connect the P2 to its software go to the tools an look at the settings and they should be close to the following photo. Then do advanced IMU (not a basic nor a check) but a complete IMU calibration. The compass MOD value should between 1300/1600 if it's either below or above those figures the compass itself may be magnetized. Once you have completed the IMU cal take it outside and do a compass cal that is if IMU numbers are correct.
IMU_02.jpg

Connect the P2 to its software go to the tools an look at the settings and they should be close to the following photo. Then do advanced IMU (not a basic nor a check) but a complete IMU calibration. The compass MOD value should between 1300/1600 if it's either below or above those figures the compass itself may be magnetized. Once you have completed the IMU cal take it outside and do a compass cal that is if IMU numbers are correct.
View attachment 68352

Thanks for the reply. I ran the calibrate and got the results below. They are not in the neighborhood of the numbers you sent for the compass. How can I fix this?

upload_2016-11-6_21-39-23.png

Thanks

Andrew

Thanks for the reply. I ran the calibrate and got the results below. They are not in the neighborhood of the numbers you sent for the compass. How can I fix this?

View attachment 68359

Thanks

Andrew

There's nothing with those numbers as they are within the the limits of 1300 - 1600. have you tried to calibrate the compass yet? If not do so and see if there has been any improvements in the flight since the IMU cal.

I'd open the lid of it and see if the naza is still fixed in place, it may have shook loose from the board, also have a look at the wiring and check to see if anything is loose

There's nothing with those numbers as they are within the the limits of 1300 - 1600. have you tried to calibrate the compass yet? If not do so and see if there has been any improvements in the flight since the IMU cal.
Well O went out today after work, calibrated the sucker, unlocked the motors and apparently the hit yesterday screwed up a motor or ESC. One motor is just stuttering, it turn well by hand but not under command. I'll have to try replacing a motor or looking at the ESC output with a scope. Long story short - no joy - yet

I'd open the lid of it and see if the naza is still fixed in place, it may have shook loose from the board, also have a look at the wiring and check to see if anything is loose
Thanks for the reply. I transferred the guts to a new shell and did a visual before the latest round of tests. It makes sense to me that the IMU would be messed up and not the compass. If the aircraft will behave for minutes and then run away it seems the compass would not the problem, but it seems that the compass is the usual culprit according to all the research I did. But the lid s off and I'll check it out anyway.

Andrew

Well O went out today after work, calibrated the sucker, unlocked the motors and apparently the hit yesterday screwed up a motor or ESC. One motor is just stuttering, it turn well by hand but not under command. I'll have to try replacing a motor or looking at the ESC output with a scope. Long story short - no joy - yet

Motors are unlikely to be the problem but the ESC modules can be damage easily. You would be correct in your research on the compass. If the compass becomes magnetized it will cause unstable flight and even flyaways because you will have no control over the craft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers