Where to buy Headplay goggles?

Reaction score
I'm wondering where the best place to buy Headplay goggles is? I see Range Video only has the B grade LCD ones. Does anyone have the B grade goggles and are they ok? They're $100 cheaper.

Not the right question but why do you want to buy headplay?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'd have to ask the same question, I use fat shark dominator v3 and they are good for me but even they aren't the best,,,

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I do have to agree with wrathorkahn, Glyph are the best, in fact it's on my Christmas list for my wife lol, but I'm also getting the goggles for my Magic as well!

Intriguing concept, but given the range of optical adjustment (+1 to -7 diopters) they really aren't going to be usable for anyone over the age of about 45.

Well that is quite frankly, rubbish, I am almost 70 and they are absolutely pin sharp for me and I think you will find that on the Avegant website there are NO reports of anyone having problems with focus.
My eyes are such that anything less than 12 inches from my eyes gets progressively blurred as it gets closer.

I do have to agree with wrathorkahn, Glyph are the best, in fact it's on my Christmas list for my wife lol, but I'm also getting the goggles for my Magic as well!

I think you mean Mavic.
Using them with the mavic was a pre purchase concern but in the end having the P4 I took the chance anyway, and boy was I so glad I did.
With the Mavic it is possible to use them with the Nvidia shield K1? , it has a HDMI out but you will get the main screen in the go app only.
Maybe DJI will come up with a HDMI module or a way to do it because of the extreme pressure of all people who dont want their cumbersome and awkward to use goggles, compared to the Glyph

Well that is quite frankly, rubbish, I am almost 70 and they are absolutely pin sharp for me and I think you will find that on the Avegant website there are NO reports of anyone having problems with focus.
My eyes are such that anything less than 12 inches from my eyes gets progressively blurred as it gets closer.
Congratulations on your eyesight. You are clearly the exception for a 70 year old with presbyopia. Average correction for someone 50 years old or older is +2.3 diopters. Glyph states their adjustment won't go any greater than +1 diopter. That won't work for the majority of people with presbyopia.

Congratulations on your eyesight. You are clearly the exception for a 70 year old with presbyopia. Average correction for someone 50 years old or older is +2.3 diopters. Glyph states their adjustment won't go any greater than +1 diopter. That won't work for the majority of people with presbyopia.

Not sure where you are going with this but I can assure you that I do suffer from Presbyopia quite seriously, ie, blurring vision of things less than 12 inchs,,, especially newspaper, books etc are totally blurred.
Yet, I have no problem in focusing the Glyph to pin sharp.

There is obviously more going on here with the Glyphs Technology than you understand to apply to your theory that they are pretty much useless to anyone over the age of 45.

It would make no sense for Avegant to make the Glyph BUT only suitable for the people under 45 but if you are concerned or need further enlightenment why dont you contact Avegant directly or go on their forum where help is plentiful. Avegant Corp | Portal

i
Not sure where you are going with this but I can assure you that I do suffer from Presbyopia quite seriously, ie, blurring vision of things less than 12 inchs,,, especially newspaper, books etc are totally blurred.
Yet, I have no problem in focusing the Glyph to pin sharp.

There is obviously more going on here with the Glyphs Technology than you understand to apply to your theory that they are pretty much useless to anyone over the age of 45.

It would make no sense for Avegant to make the Glyph BUT only suitable for the people under 45 but if you are concerned or need further enlightenment why dont you contact Avegant directly or go on their forum where help is plentiful. Avegant Corp | Portal
If you can focus at 12 inches, your presbyopia is extremely mild for a 70 year old. My distance vision is 20/20. I'm younger than you and I require a correction of 3.25 diopters (sphere) in order to see "pin sharp" at 12 inches. That is about average for someone over 60. 3.25 diopters means Glyph is not going to work for me.

Where I'm going with this is that Glyph says that their optical range is +1 to -7 diopters. Average correction for someone over 50 is 2.3 diopters. According to Glyph's website, their glasses won't work for the majority of presybopes because their glasses are outside their ability to provide correction for that degree of presbyopia.

I'm 53 and my eyes need +6 to see something 6" from my eyes. With Headplay googles the standard Fresnel lens options that come with the google won't work. I replaced the Fresnel lens with a Carson clip on +5 diopter lens (the strongest available). I simply removed the Carson lens from the provided clip mechanism, then nylon tied the lens to the top of the google using the headband peg, which happens to be the right position. With the +5 Carson lens I can use my standard reader glasses with the Headplay google to fly crystal clear. My optometrist says I'm average for eye muscle degradation with age. Getting old eyes sucks.

FYI, I tried the RHO lens replacement lens for the Heaplay Fresnel lens. Although the lens was very high quality, and expensive, it wasn't strong enough to work for me as a replacement to the standard Fresnel lens. The mounting of the lens was also mickey mouse, I had to fabricate my own frame inside the google just to hold the lens. Although my frame worked, the lens power didn't. RHO doesn't offer multiple choices for power grade, and what they offer wasn't powerful enough. The Carson lens is cheap in comparison, and is strong enough to work good with my eyes.

Last edited:
i
If you can focus at 12 inches, your presbyopia is extremely mild for a 70 year old. My distance vision is 20/20. I'm younger than you and I require a correction of 3.25 diopters (sphere) in order to see "pin sharp" at 12 inches. That is about average for someone over 60. 3.25 diopters means Glyph is not going to work for me.

Where I'm going with this is that Glyph says that their optical range is +1 to -7 diopters. Average correction for someone over 50 is 2.3 diopters. According to Glyph's website, their glasses won't work for the majority of presybopes because their glasses are outside their ability to provide correction for that degree of presbyopia.

Why dont you contact Avegant direct with your findings, I am certain they will be very interested and even try to modify their Glyph so as to work with the people over 45, IF, in fact that is necessary. From what you are saying Avegant are probably losing at least 70% of possible sales because of this so look forward to a big paycheck from them if you are right but I am sure that Avegant are well aware of ALL sight situations and problems,,,of course they are.

Please post your outcomes here for all those whom are interested in purchasing the Glyph.

I'm 53 and my eyes need +6 to see something 6" from my eyes. With Headplay googles the standard Fresnel lens options that come with the google won't work. I replaced the Fresnel lens with a Carson clip on +5 diopter lens (the strongest available). I simply removed the Carson lens from the provided clip mechanism, then nylon tied the lens to the top of the google using the headband peg, which happens to be the right position. With the +5 Carson lens I can use my standard reader glasses with the Headplay google to fly crystal clear. My optometrist says I'm average for eye muscle degradation with age. Getting old eyes sucks.

FYI, I tried the RHO lens replacement lens for the Heaplay Fresnel lens. Although the lens was very high quality, and expensive, it wasn't strong enough to work for me as a replacement to the standard Fresnel lens. The mounting of the lens was also mickey mouse, I had to fabricate my own frame inside the google just to hold the lens. Although my frame worked, the lens power didn't. RHO doesn't offer multiple choices for power grade, and what they offer wasn't powerful enough. The Carson lens is cheap in comparison, and is strong enough to work good with my eyes.

Yep I was about the same as you with the Headplay and I also got the RHO lens and after much mucking around I found the optimum position for those lens AND left in place the Fresnel lens,,, I then used a clear mastic to secure the RHO lens in place semi permanently. The result was the best picture quality to date and all in focus.

And then I got the Avegant Glyph,,, WOW that was a massive improvement in the Focus {looks like 1080p & NO pixels}, the colour was so true to life, I no longer have this massive Headplay blob on my head, I can see up & down and be aware of people around me and look ahead to FPV.
As I said previously, best Goggles ever.

John

Why dont you contact Avegant direct with your findings,

I did just that. They got back to me this afternoon...

Hello MacCool,

Our current adjustments are found below .

• Diopter Adjustment: +1 to -7 range

By the sounds of it , you most likely would not have a very clear picture with your prescription .

I am setting the case to resolved but you may reply to this email and it will open the case again.

Thanks,
Christian Hayes

As I said, average presbyopia correction for someone over age 50 is + 2.3 diopters. Glyph's range is +1 to -7, so, going just by the numbers that Avegant provides....no worky.

Last edited:
I did just that. They got back to me this afternoon...

Hello MacCool,

Our current adjustments are found below .

• Diopter Adjustment: +1 to -7 range

By the sounds of it , you most likely would not have a very clear picture with your prescription .

I am setting the case to resolved but you may reply to this email and it will open the case again.

Thanks,
Christian Hayes
As I said, average presbyopia correction for someone over age 50 is + 2.3 diopters. Glyph's range is +1 to -7, so, going just by the numbers that Avegant provides....no worky.

Thats a real shame MacCool as these are simply the best goggles out there imho.

Last edited:
Yep I was about the same as you with the Headplay and I also got the RHO lens and after much mucking around I found the optimum position for those lens AND left in place the Fresnel lens,,, I then used a clear mastic to secure the RHO lens in place semi permanently. The result was the best picture quality to date and all in focus.

And then I got the Avegant Glyph,,, WOW that was a massive improvement in the Focus {looks like 1080p & NO pixels}, the colour was so true to life, I no longer have this massive Headplay blob on my head, I can see up & down and be aware of people around me and look ahead to FPV.
As I said previously, best Goggles ever.

John
Well, that sounds promising. I've had to alter the Headplays a lot to get a clear view. They work OK, and they are the least expensive I've see with 720 resolution to match the downlink. However I'm not in love with them, they are quite big.

So is this below the google you're referring to? If those work, then I'm going to check them out. Those are much smaller. I assume you don't use glasses, right? I don't see how it's possible to use glasses with those, so I would be totally dependent on the adjustments in the google to compensate for my need for glasses.

I'm wondering if they mis-spoke and quoted the diopter spec backwards, and it's really -1 to +7. That would make much more sense. However in this webpage they clearly state +1 to -7.

upload_2016-11-7_19-39-3.png

Last edited:
Well, that sounds promising. I've had to alter the Headplays a lot to get a clear view. They work OK, and they are the least expensive I've see with 720 resolution to match the downlink. However I'm not in love with them, they are quite big.

So is this below the google you're referring to? If those work, then I'm going to check them out. Those are much smaller. I assume you don't use glasses, right? I don't see how it's possible to use glasses with those, so I would be totally dependent on the adjustments in the google to compensate for my need for glasses.

I'm wondering if they mis-spoke and quoted the diopter spec backwards, and it's really -1 to +7. That would make much more sense. However in this webpage they clearly state +1 to -7.

View attachment 68410

Yes John, they are the goggles and no, I don't use glasses. I not sure whether it would be possible to wear glasses anyway.
I notice that the avegant website offer a 30 day trial so with that you cant go wrong. Also the forum is a great help with any queries I have found.

I can only say that I love mt Glyph.

John

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31