Where to buy Headplay goggles?

I did just that. They got back to me this afternoon...

Hello MacCool,

Our current adjustments are found below .

• Diopter Adjustment: +1 to -7 range

By the sounds of it , you most likely would not have a very clear picture with your prescription .

I am setting the case to resolved but you may reply to this email and it will open the case again.

Thanks,
Christian Hayes
As I said, average presbyopia correction for someone over age 50 is + 2.3 diopters. Glyph's range is +1 to -7, so, going just by the numbers that Avegant provides....no worky.

Hey hey hey. I'm the Avegant guy.

+1 to -7 is about right. Most people are myopic instead of hyperopic. That said, the Glyph accommodates a wide range of optical imperfections in your vision (astigmatism, etc) because it uses projection technology, so it's likely that you'd be able to find a batch of settings that work for you.

Where are you in the midwest? I may have a guy nearby.

Reactions: wrathofkhan
Well, that sounds promising. I've had to alter the Headplays a lot to get a clear view. They work OK, and they are the least expensive I've see with 720 resolution to match the downlink. However I'm not in love with them, they are quite big.

So is this below the google you're referring to? If those work, then I'm going to check them out. Those are much smaller. I assume you don't use glasses, right? I don't see how it's possible to use glasses with those, so I would be totally dependent on the adjustments in the google to compensate for my need for glasses.

I'm wondering if they mis-spoke and quoted the diopter spec backwards, and it's really -1 to +7. That would make much more sense. However in this webpage they clearly state +1 to -7.

View attachment 68410

-7 is super nearsighted. +1 is mildly farsighted.

Good luck with the setup, most Phantom owners that I know have been very happy :)

Reactions: wrathofkhan
Hey hey hey. I'm the Avegant guy.

+1 to -7 is about right. Most people are myopic instead of hyperopic. That said, the Glyph accommodates a wide range of optical imperfections in your vision (astigmatism, etc) because it uses projection technology, so it's likely that you'd be able to find a batch of settings that work for you.

Where are you in the midwest? I may have a guy nearby.

The issue isn't near or farsightedness (myopia or hyperopia). I am neither. My distant vision is 20/20. Rather, it's presbyopia...the inability of the lens to contract enough to allow focusing on an object that is close to the eye, typically closer than about 3 feet depending on degree. In other words, people who need reading glasses in order to read a book or iPad. This can require vision correction anywhere between +1.5 diopters (very mild presbyopia) to +3.5 diopters and in some cases more. The question at hand is whether Glyph's stated correction range of +1 to -7 will allow someone with presbyopia to be able to focus on the Glyph image. The issue is complicated by the fact that that image is apparently projected directly onto the retina, so I'm not clear if the usual presbyopia correction concepts apply. My suspicion is that they do because the image still has to be focused on the retina in conjunction with the eye's lens.

The issue isn't near or farsightedness (myopia or hyperopia). I am neither. My distant vision is 20/20. Rather, it's presbyopia...the inability of the lens to contract enough to allow focusing on an object that is close to the eye, typically closer than about 3 feet depending on degree. In other words, people who need reading glasses in order to read a book or iPad. This can require vision correction anywhere between +1.5 diopters (very mild presbyopia) to +3.5 diopters and in some cases more. The question at hand is whether Glyph's stated correction range of +1 to -7 will allow someone with presbyopia to be able to focus on the Glyph image. The issue is complicated by the fact that that image is apparently projected directly onto the retina, so I'm not clear if the usual presbyopia correction concepts apply. My suspicion is that they do because the image still has to be focused on the retina in conjunction with the eye's lens.

Sounds like the perfect solution by Avegant, "Where are you in the midwest? I may have a guy nearby."

Why dont you take him up on his offer, I would if I was you because these goggles are fantastic, best out there for FPV and its not just me saying that, check the web for other users.

John

@wrathofkhan is not a paid associate of this company

Seriously MacCool, I'm sure I can arrange to get you a demo. Feel free to reach out to arrange something.

I can confirm that I am not a paid associate of Avegant and in fact I could not buy my Glyph through them because I live in Perth Australia.
I had to get mine from Amazon.
It took me several months to decide to take a chance on them {I had already bought the Headplay} and much checking and discussions on the forum.
I was so impressed with them and far superior than the Headplays that I just want to pass on my fun with the Glyph to any others that are interested and my door is open if anyone lives near me and Avegant is welcome to pass me on.

John

Do the headphones on the Glyph have any function when flying the Phantom? I would find it strange to have my ears covered all the time.

Do the headphones on the Glyph have any function when flying the Phantom? I would find it strange to have my ears covered all the time.

No. It's a multimedia headset and would play audio if it came through the HDMI feed, but there's no mic on the drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4