What to do in case of a flyaway? (Hypothetical)

Reaction score
I've lost my p2 before due to a flyaway and it scares me to death.

I would like to be sure on how to recover my p3 in case it ever decides to 'take off' or fall somewhere far from me.

1. Should I immediately look at the map to see it's last known location?
2. Will the video cache be available? Will it be there only if a recording was in session?
3. Will the user center flight map be available?
4. Anything else I should do?

Reactions: mmee1992
I've lost my p2 before due to a flyaway and it scares me to death.
I would like to be sure on how to recover my p3 in case it ever decides to 'take off' or fall somewhere far from me.
The P3 is a very different bird from the P2.
While there were quite a few cases where P2s were reported to flyaway and a large proportion (though not all) were user error, there have been very few for the P3.
Practically, it's not an issue for the P3.

Made a flight today with my p3p. after about 18 minutes,heard the voice message to bring her back for landing.she was about 500 meters distance from me at 70 meters alt. I turned the auto landing on and was horrified to see that the pilot app got stuck and my bird descend all the way down 500 meters from me somewhere i couldent see in the bush.i scaned the area while looking at the map but still wadnt sure about my location.and then i turned on a google map app i have on my android.i saw myself marked with blue circle.went back to the pilot app map and was suprized to see that blue point there.because the both maps are google,they syncronized so i could see my location and the p3 location on the pilot app map.then i walked until the blue circle of mine was on the red mark of the p3 and foud it lying prfectly with no dsmage on the ground.by the way the vps didnt work as i saw later in the recorded video.it went down all the way.

Made a flight today with my p3p. after about 18 minutes,heard the voice message to bring her back for landing.she was about 500 meters distance from me at 70 meters alt. I turned the auto landing on and was horrified to see that the pilot app got stuck and my bird descend all the way down 500 meters from me .
Lucky escape.
Sounds like you need to do some homework and learn the difference between Return to Home and Autoland.
Your Phantom did exactly what you told it to.
Check out the RTH section of the manual to see how it works and then practice it including cancelling RTH and resuming control.

Reactions: Cerone
Meta are you saying he configured the failsafe as auto land? By the way under what conditions the return to home switches to land? I forget

Well now im not sure if i realy switched the autoland or the RTH on...?if i switched the autoland on,so yes my mistake....very basic stuff...

This is yet another reason GPS is needed at the transmitter. ie worthless apple products that they felt it better to take away GPS for those that didnt pay the extra for a cell data plan. Android to the rescue!

Reactions: mmee1992
This is yet another reason GPS is needed at the transmitter. ie worthless apple products that they felt it better to take away GPS for those that didnt pay the extra for a cell data plan. Android to the rescue!

Correct me if I'm wrong as I don't own an apple device...
I thought all the apple devices have GPS. You don't need cell to get GPS. The signal is always there but it just takes longer to acquire. Using Cell data just helps acquire the GPS faster (AGPS).

I thought all the apple devices have GPS. You don't need cell to get GPS. The signal is always there but it just takes longer to acquire. Using Cell data just helps acquire the GPS faster (AGPS).

Sorta absolutely wrong... Cell data doesn't speed GPS at all. It takes literally seconds to acquire 12 satellites to get a VERY solid lock on you position.

Apple took away the GPS from ALL tablets that are not cell capable. It was part of the marketing crap that went on very early in the the iPhone days when they teamed up with ATT.

Without GPS you can get a fairly close GPS location.. within 30 or 40 feet. But in an area where 99% of people should be flying there is no WiFi connection to triangulate from... AGPS

Reactions: TAZ

Nope, WiFi only iPads don't come equipped with GPS, only WiFi+Cellular iPads do. You don't have to activate cellular, but you DO have to have it for GPS.

Edit: I wished one could see someone said the same thing as ones own comment, yet faster, before ones post goes up.

Reactions: Steve Moore
Nope, WiFi only iPads don't come equipped with GPS, only WiFi+Cellular iPads do. You don't have to activate cellular, but you DO have to have it for GPS.

Edit: I wished one could see someone said the same thing as ones own comment, yet faster, before ones post goes up.
Wish I could like that twice.. too **** funny!

Sorta absolutely wrong... Cell data doesn't speed GPS at all. It takes literally seconds to acquire 12 satellites to get a VERY solid lock on you position.

Apple took away the GPS from ALL tablets that are not cell capable. It was part of the marketing crap that went on very early in the the iPhone days when they teamed up with ATT.

Without GPS you can get a fairly close GPS location.. within 30 or 40 feet. But in an area where 99% of people should be flying there is no WiFi connection to triangulate from... AGPS

Ahhh thanks...
After a little digging, I found out that the apple could have included GPS in the non-cell models. They didn't want add GPS because it shared the same antenna as the mobile phone antenna. Its pretty silly as majority of low end devices have GPS as standard..
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/148307/Is+there+a+GPS+in+the+iPad+air

You don't have to pay for a data plan to have GPS. As long as its cell capable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31