What is the Best way to increase the range of my Phantom Pro 4 v2 ?

Reaction score
Hello,
I was looking into options to increase the range of my Phantom Pro 4 v2 and ive come across 2 options.
1 - non invasive way to add a windsurfer slide on to the existing controller antennas.
2 - add some hardware to the controller - need to open it up and more expensive.

If tried option 1 - bought a cheap one on amazon that was recommended
link: Amazon.com: Ultimaxx Copper Parabolic Antenna Signal Range Booster for DJI Phantom 4, P4 pro, P4 Advanced, Phantom 3 Pro, Advanced and 4K Inspire 1 Controller: Toys & Games
It did increase it but not significantly enough for me to justify having this thing on the controller.
Im more curious if anyone has done option 2 and added some new antennas on the controller?
Im very new to these drones and most the mods im seeing are for previous models. even the phantom 4 ones im seeing are making me nervous as i have the 2.0 and i dont know if the controller is different - i know it has a new method to communicate with the dji done then previous models and idk if needs some specific type of antennas.
one that i found for like $180 is this one:

Has anyone here successfully modified the controller of the phantom pro 4 v2 ?
Could you share your overall experience with this and how much improvement you are seeing? also the item you bought price you paid?
Thanks

Last edited:

It did increase it but not significantly enough for me to justify having this thing on the controller.
I've had great performance from one like that.
What is it doing/not doing for you?
What's your flying environment?
Have you tried switching transmission bands to 2.4 or 5.8 MHz?

Reactions: Capt KO
I’m in a residential city area. Lots of 2 floor houses and other buildings. Seems if I fly far out and go low towards the ground it lose connection. Prob due to buildings in the way etc. was thinking a stronger antenna option might be enough to pass thru to keep the connection.
yes I’ve changed to 5.8 as well. Helps a little bit not enough.

I’m in a residential city area. Lots of 2 floor houses and other buildings. Seems if I fly far out and go low towards the ground it lose connection. Prob due to buildings in the way etc. was thinking a stronger antenna option might be enough to pass thru to keep the connection.
yes I’ve changed to 5.8 as well. Helps a little bit not enough.
In an urban area there will always be a lot of interference that will compete with your signal.
Your signal will not pass through buildings and other obstacles and expensive modifications won't get around that limitation.
To achieve long distances, you need to fly in an interference-free location.

Ok I would still like to get some insight on someone who has installed a new antenna like the one I posted. Thanks

I use itelite on my p4,,,these panels and one you posted are awsome and will improve your situation ...unsure on range due to I like to have it return,,,makes for good image aswell
15905317921436063097643483232140.jpg

I use itelite on my p4,,,these panels and one you posted are awsome and will improve your situation ...unsure on range due to I like to have it return,,,makes for good image aswellView attachment 118831
Wow very nice. What did it cost you ? Was it easy to install ? Any down side besides bulky?
also what are all those markings/stickers on your controller ?

Wow very nice. What did it cost you ? Was it easy to install ? Any down side besides bulky?
also what are all those markings/stickers on your controller ?
Yeh dont fit in box no more ha,,this was it here,,I also use Samsung TAb A6 10/1 for my screen,,its like holding a brick but can handle that,,I got tripod for remote and harness for remote depending what I doing,,I normally just hold it,,it brought the full kit which came with all leads ready to clip in and go,,install was easy but take time with USB module ribbons,,this panel was best thing I ever done,,na unfortunately no p4p ones but have a search ,,I'm sure they got some
Screenshot_20200527-164917_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200527-164825_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200527-165042_Chrome.jpg

Hello,
I was looking into options to increase the range of my Phantom Pro 4 v2 and ive come across 2 options.
1 - non invasive way to add a windsurfer slide on to the existing controller antennas.
2 - add some hardware to the controller - need to open it up and more expensive.

link: Amazon.com: Ultimaxx Copper Parabolic Antenna Signal Range Booster for DJI Phantom 4, P4 pro, P4 Advanced, Phantom 3 Pro, Advanced and 4K Inspire 1 Controller: Toys & Games
Im more curious if anyone has done option 2 and added some new antennas on the controller?
Im very new to these drones and most the mods im seeing are for previous models. even the phantom 4 ones im seeing are making me nervous as i have the 2.0 and i dont know if the controller is different - i know it has a new method to communicate with the dji done then previous models and idk if needs some specific type of antennas.
one that i found for like $180 is this one:

Has anyone here successfully modified the controller of the phantom pro 4 v2 ?
Could you share your overall experience with this and how much improvement you are seeing? also the item you bought price you paid?
Thanks

Legally...have 20/10 eyesight.

Reactions: Allan8056
Why? Understand trying to correct a bad signal but that’s not your problem. Can’t receive a signal through solid objects by any means. Drones now being built for longer ranges are increasing battery size and flight time. Both needed for the return flight.

Good luck and enjoy that new bird. It’s great as is. ?

PS; I have a closet full of accessories purchased during those heady new drone days. Most are never used. Enjoy

Why? Understand trying to correct a bad signal but that’s not your problem. Can’t receive a signal through solid objects by any means. Drones now being built for longer ranges are increasing battery size and flight time. Both needed for the return flight.

Good luck and enjoy that new bird. It’s great as is. ?

PS; I have a closet full of accessories purchased during those heady new drone days. Most are never used. Enjoy
I like your opinion as it's true. Seems that he wants to get good signal beyond the buildings

IMG_0891.jpg
IMG_0891.jpg
IMG_0892.jpg

I use a flat panel antenna and like others said besides it giving you clearer reception ( no choppy feed , green screen ,it also increases your distance as long as there’s nothing between you and your drone ,go on top of a hill where you can see 5-6 miles ,on your roof , stay away from standing near a metal pole or fence when flying, it makes the signal travel further but nothing makes it penetrate structures ( and anyone who try’s to sell you an antenna and tells you otherwise is a liar and they only want your money.....

I’m usually only limited by my battery and wind conditions my video feed is rock solid 4 + miles away
IMG_0209.jpg

• Wow
What is your range with no boosters? I would look at that first, make sure it's optimal, THEN start adding signal boosters.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

No boosters were used in the above video.

D

Reactions: cneedelman

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.