What happens if compass error happens in litchi waypoint?

Reaction score
Has anyone had a compass error while halfway through a litchi way point when it was out of range? Interested to know if it corrects itself then goes home or carries on with the mission.

And if you exit the mission halfway through will it hover or RTH?

cheers in advanced

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

If compass goes bad, it gets difficult to get the direction to move to the next point. Such situations might lead to run away unless one switches to manual mode and uses sticks to get the bird back. Whether it's Litchi or any other app, result will be the same.

If there is no wind, it can hover at a point but in case of drifting due to wind, it may not be able to optimize direction to stay at one location.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: sinxa and Neon Euc
If compass goes bad, it gets difficult to get the direction to move to the next point. Such situations might lead to run away unless one switches to manual mode and uses sticks to get the bird back. Whether it's Litchi or any other app, result will be the same.

If there is no wind, it can hover at a point but in case of drifting due to wind, it may not be able to optimize direction to stay at one location.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Aww ok. Just that I plan to do a way point mission where my controller will lose signal so I was just finding out the worse situation and what I can do. It's a risky way point.... But. I guess every flight has a risk of compass error [emoji6]

Just that I plan to do a way point mission where my controller will lose signal so I was just finding out the worse situation and what I can do. It's a risky way point.... But. I guess every flight has a risk of compass error
Have you had mid-flight compass errors before?
After hundreds of flights, I've never seen one and wouldn't expect one.
Almost all compass errors are related to a bad compass calibration before flying.
Once you are up there, you are almost certainly far enough away from any magnetic influences to cause a problem.
And if you aren't, then you have other problems to worry about.

Reactions: sinxa and Neon Euc
Aww ok. Just that I plan to do a way point mission where my controller will lose signal so I was just finding out the worse situation and what I can do. It's a risky way point.... But. I guess every flight has a risk of compass error [emoji6]

Your on the right track. Knowingly sending your AC on a mission outside control range you should be thinking about where the AC may autoland or crash if GPS or compass fails. While your at it consider the worst case scenario with a propulsion system, power or other failure. You may reach the conclusion that these missions should probably be reserved for remote areas. You are potentially risking a lot more than your AC.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Almost all compass errors are related to a bad compass calibration before flying.
Once you are up there, you are almost certainly far enough away from any magnetic influences to cause a problem.

Oh, yes, several times. It's just one of those things that happen maybe every 20th flight. Just flick to Atti mode and fly home using the camera. Recalibrate and then you're good again for another 20 or so flights.

/// Tom

Your on the right track. Knowingly sending your AC on a mission outside control range you should be thinking about where the AC may autoland or crash if GPS or compass fails. While your at it consider the worst case scenario with a propulsion system, power or other failure. You may reach the conclusion that these missions should probably be reserved for remote areas. You are potentially risking a lot more than your AC.
That's my fear of it falling out of the sky if there is compass error and it loses control with other errors

I have only had one.... But that was due to flying near a cell tower so that's to be expected I guess lol

Oh, yes, several times. It's just one of those things that happen maybe every 20th flight. Just flick to Atti mode and fly home using the camera. Recalibrate and then you're good again for another 20 or so flights.

/// Tom
Sadly ATTI won't be an option as it will be lose of signal where I'm flying lol

i 100% agreed with you.

klnyc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers