WEDDING DANCE THROUGH THE EYES OF MY PHANTOM 4

Not looking to start a flame, but raising these more as curious Qs.

How did you handle flying it overhead? Standard is to not fly it over people's heads. Did you ask everyone's permission? Just flew it anyway?

Also, is your video 4K and zoomed in? or was the drone that close to everyone?
Flew it approximately 30 feet off the ground, recorded in 4K and not zoomed in. Flying it above the people in the wedding wasn't at all a problem. Might pose as a safety issue but none of the people thought of it that way. Curiosity and amazement drowned any safety issue there was on that moment. The couple were the ones who requested the aerial coverage and I believe the attendees were duly informed of this. It's like the couple implying/warning "Hey we're getting a drone coverage, if you have anything against flying cameras over your head, you need not come." LOL!

^^ prime example of a rec pilot doing commercial work with no clue.......

^^ prime example of a rec pilot doing commercial work with no clue.......

And you are a prime example of a judgmental know-all. You know nothing about the arrangements done leading to this event and how the people attending have been prepped about how the coverage is gonna be like. So unless you're an ace pilot or a drone god who knows everything that has to do with drones, stop making senseless comments on some event that you have no direct knowledge of.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Remember. When and if you start flying commercially there are no flights directly over people. The FAA won't start issuing those Part 107 waivers for a while. And flying over people is a trigger for FAA enforcement.

If you are flying recreationally it is still best to choose a flight path that does not place your UAV directly over people.

BTW. if you are applying for UAV insurance, one of the things that they may not agree to insure are weddings.

Fly safe. :)

Enrico Schaefer
UAV Attorney
www.dronelaw.pro

Free Part 107 Waiver and Airspace Training Videos. https://www.dronelaw.pro/part-107-waivers/

How did you handle flying it overhead? Standard is to not fly it over people's heads. Did you ask everyone's permission? Just flew it anyway?

Knew that was coming somewhere in this thread.

My only question is "How did you fly it?" By that, I mean, manually, focus with manual flight, or something like Litchi "Orbit" mode? Your movements are very smooth.

Remember. When and if you start flying commercially there are no flights directly over people. The FAA won't start issuing those Part 107 waivers for a while. And flying over people is a trigger for FAA enforcement.

If you are flying recreationally it is still best to choose a flight path that does not place your UAV directly over people.

BTW. if you are applying for UAV insurance, one of the things that they may not agree to insure are weddings.

Enrico Schaefer
UAV Attorney
www.dronelaw.pro

Free Part 107 Waiver and Airspace Training Videos. https://www.dronelaw.pro/part-107-waivers/

Thanks. Would have taken that into consideration if I live in the US. No FAA laws like that apply here in Canada (yet), but will keep that in mind in case flying down south would cross my mind.

And you are a prime example of a judgmental know-all. You know nothing about the arrangements done leading to this event and how the people attending have been prepped about how the coverage is gonna be like. So unless you're an ace pilot or a drone god who knows everything that has to do with drones, stop making senseless comments on some event that you have no direct knowledge of.

I'm not judging anything, so settle down. I'm stating facts according to US standards which now mean nothing because you've stated your in Canada.

In America, the flight would still be against the rules even if everyone signed a waiver for you to fly over them. This is a commercial flight, performed by a pilot who was unaware of the rules & regs. Again not judging, stating facts. I'm sure Canada does not want you flying over crowds too.....

And yes I am very knowledgeable about most all the laws pertaining to drones in America. I am also a commercial operator with an FAA rating and have been flying camera ships for over 10 years..

Reactions: BigAl07
IMG_1449.PNG
And here's the Canada rules just in case you were wondering:)

Reactions: BigAl07
Ok let's take it down a couple of notches here. When it becomes personal we'll shut the thread down completely.

Play nice (both sides) or we'll ask you to go play somewhere else.

Reactions: Enrico Schaefer
My only question is "How did you fly it?" By that, I mean, manually, focus with manual flight, or something like Litchi "Orbit" mode? Your movements are very smooth.

I adjusted the yaw and the camera tilt in a slow setting in the DJI Go app for smooth movements. For precise orbiting, I used one of the auto flight mode - Point of Intetest. [emoji111]️️

I adjusted the yaw and the camera tilt in a slow setting in the DJI Go app for smooth movements. For precise orbiting, I used one of the auto flight mode - Point of Intetest. [emoji111]️️

You did it well. Thanks.

Thanks. Would have taken that into consideration if I live in the US. No FAA laws like that apply here in Canada (yet), but will keep that in mind in case flying down south would cross my mind.

I always figure that when someone says "Thanks, mate" that it's a pretty sure bet they don't live in the U.S. and aren't subject to FAA oversight.

Enrico Schaefer
UAV Attorney
www.dronelaw.pro

isn't the 500ft bubble still required for hobby flying?

This is a very nice video and editing job. It looked like a very nice setting too. It may have been a better angle to have been a little further back and the camera more horizontal, if it didn't get too far away. The outside perimeter of the venue didn't look to be very far. That may have avoided the flight directly over the people. The only complication is being able to set the POI for the center.

I am just getting into the drone photography. The reason I am pondering the possible methods is that I want to be able to do the same thing you just did without breaking the rules here in the U.S.

This is a very nice video and editing job. It looked like a very nice setting too. It may have been a better angle to have been a little further back and the camera more horizontal, if it didn't get too far away. The outside perimeter of the venue didn't look to be very far. That may have avoided the flight directly over the people. The only complication is being able to set the POI for the center.

I am just getting into the drone photography. The reason I am pondering the possible methods is that I want to be able to do the same thing you just did without breaking the rules here in the U.S.

Thank you for the kind words and the constructive criticism. Could've thought of that and so many other things if only there was a pre-event flight on the actual location. When the actual walk and dance started, I just had to fly my bird on the spot and call the shots very quickly or else I will lose some of the precious moments that might have been covered. [emoji28]

Reactions: JWH
In AutoPilot, you could create an Orbit and also easily move it to where the couple would be with a drag and drop. You can also set the point of interest to a given height in feet so the camera would lock onto them during the Orbit. That way you could circle and be back far enough from being directly overhead while also being lower and maybe not step on the FAA rules. I could see adding a telephoto lens to this as well. Someone on here had some website that sold telephotos lenses for the P3/P4 cameras, but it requires some dismantling of the camera to exchange them. I think they were in the $300-$400 range.

Reactions: JWH and batch0912
In AutoPilot, you could create an Orbit and also easily move it to where the couple would be with a drag and drop. You can also set the point of interest to a given height in feet so the camera would lock onto them during the Orbit. That way you could circle and be back far enough from being directly overhead while also being lower and maybe not step on the FAA rules. I could see adding a telephoto lens to this as well. Someone on here had some website that sold telephotos lenses for the P3/P4 cameras, but it requires some dismantling of the camera to exchange them. I think they were in the $300-$400 range.

I didn't know that was available. I will look into that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj