Vision Positioning System: Battery Savings --- On vs Off

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed any battery savings by turning off the VPS? I'm assuming any savings would probably be minimal but I've gone ahead and turned mine off since I'm not flying indoors. I'll report back any findings...

I've haven't noticed a difference. If flying outside, it's best to keep it off. There are too many scenarios where it does not work well outdoors. Some have even found it causes their Phantom to become unstable when landing and/or taking off.

Reactions: Mario_SB
I've haven't noticed a difference. If flying outside, it's best to keep it off. There are too many scenarios where it does not work well outdoors. Some have even found it causes their Phantom to become unstable when landing and/or taking off.

Ahh... you know I have noticed a some instability when hovering (1-3 feet) then landing outdoors. I think I will keep it off as well. Thanks for the reply!

sorry for the quick question but where do you adjust the come home height on the new 2.4 version of new DJI GO app. thanks!!

I think you can tap on the GPS icon or where is usually says "Safe to Fly (GPS)" above your center screen.

thanks! got that but where do I set the altitude ...i wanted it to go up 200 feet before returning home. I had it set a few months back but after repair its all back to default....:( thanks!

Under MC settings ...I see Set Maximum flight distance and Maximum distance. Wonder which one is setting come home alttitude.??

I've left mine on for all flights and not seen any issues. I don't know of any real confirmed issues with VPS either. VPS will help when the P3 is 10' or less off the ground. It stabalizes it's position and will automatically adjust to the change of level in the ground in order to maintain a consistent height. That is, you could set the height at 5' and move up a hill and the P3 would maintain it's 5' altitude above ground.

Reactions: LTharle
I've left mine on for all flights and not seen any issues. I don't know of any real confirmed issues with VPS either. VPS will help when the P3 is 10' or less off the ground. It stabalizes it's position and will automatically adjust to the change of level in the ground in order to maintain a consistent height. That is, you could set the height at 5' and move up a hill and the P3 would maintain it's 5' altitude above ground.
That sounds useful. So you're saying if I fly straight towards a small incline/hill at low altitude (2-3ft) at say sea-level, the drone, with VPS "on", will automatically rise without crashing into it??

Reactions: 464chief
That sounds useful. So you're saying if I fly straight towards a small incline/hill at low altitude (2-3ft) at say sea-level, the drone, with VPS "on", will automatically rise without crashing into it??
I have not heard that claim-- @tcope -- are you certain about that? I haven't seen any documentation to that effect. Stability under 10 ft over a consistent surface is the only advantage that I know of.

I have not heard that claim-- @tcope -- are you certain about that? I haven't seen any documentation to that effect. Stability under 10 ft over a consistent surface is the only advantage that I know of.
Hmmm... I'll give it a try but does sounds too good to be true. I have notice in the past that it doesn't maintain any set altitude while going from say the street and on to the sidewalk.

I gotta think that the physics of the situation would make VPS a tiny drain compared to the energy required to actually keep the bird aloft and moving.

Kinda like whether there is a a difference between driving down the road with your headlights on vs. off.

I gotta think that the physics of the situation would make VPS a tiny drain compared to the energy required to actually keep the bird aloft and moving.

Kinda like whether there is a a difference between driving down the road with your headlights on vs. off.
Yeah, that's what I figure.

it will run into the ground if flying waypoints that are low and on a slope. thats my experience anyway, I am starting to think vision positioning is a geewhiz thing that is useless for a guy who doesn't need extra stability landing.

Yes. I put together a video to show this but the PIP did not come out right. I'll see if I can use the newer version of my video editor to fix it. It won't work at higher speeds but I tested it at around 3-5mph. Not sure if it would work at higher speeds as I was unwilling to risk it going faster at low of altitude.

Yes. I put together a video to show this but the PIP did not come out right. I'll see if I can use the newer version of my video editor to fix it. It won't work at higher speeds but I tested it at around 3-5mph. Not sure if it would work at higher speeds as I was unwilling to risk it going faster at low of altitude.

I would venture that you would have to fly so slowly so as to make it impractical for any use. Also, the incline would have to be so gentle that the risk is not worth the effort?

I would venture that you would have to fly so slowly so as to make it impractical for any use. Also, the incline would have to be so gentle that the risk is not worth the effort?

The incline can be pretty steep. I've posted a photo of the hill I used to test. But yes, you'd need to fly pretty slow (I'd say around 5mph) and it's not often that this type of flying should come into play. But you may find yourself accidentally flying too low and the ultrasonics could save the day.

I'd say for every foot in, this hill rises a foot. That is pretty steep.

Capturec.JPG

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic