View a construction site remotely using Litchi waypoints

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have not used Litchi yet, but understand I can draw out my waypoint mission using a map vs first flying the route (like DJI Go APP). My question is, what map will i be using? If it's google earth/maps/bing, etc., the map may be years old and certainly will not have daily/weekly updates on it such that I can get project progress. I don't have much drone expertise on site so i'd like to set a broad waypoint mission, record the video/pictures and use that as the waypoint map to plan missions as I go. Any ideas? thanks, Bill

Reactions: Robzerep
You can bring up the hub, anytime and make a new plot and modify somebody else's mission.
Mission Hub - Litchi

You just can't save it with out an account.

One I was working on, weather hasn't agreed yet.
Mission Hub - Litchi

Rod

what map will i be using? If it's google earth/maps/bing, etc., the map may be years old and certainly will not have daily/weekly updates on it
This is correct. Litchi uses GE as reference. It is an excellent Waypoint flying app, but it does have it's limitations. Basically speaking, there are two primary flight profiles. Straight lines and Curved turns. They are not interchangable and cannot be flown in the same Mission. For your purposes you would need to utilize straight lines. Any actions, such as camera angles, pauses, stops, turns etc..are ignored with the curved turn profile. In your case, you would most likely need to fly the profile manually first to get the correct angles you are looking for. That is just basic information, operationally speaking.

Thanks Rod and Fly Dawg. so there is no way to use a different "map" to program the mission from, i.e. fly a manual route with current mapping state, save the resulting picture/video as a new "map" and program future missions from this new "map".

sounds like i would have to take GE as it is and superimpose the current state of the ground on that, and go from there
thanks again..

The ground state is definitely historical. However, a flight flown and photographed with a Litchi mission flown with that data will produce images/video that is current with the date of executing the mission. No map that I know of has accurate buildings and trees etc. If someone has been digging up hillsides recently, that won’t show up either.

What problem are you trying to solve with a different map base?

Reactions: RodPad
Thanks David. I want to have senior mgmt in Md see what the daily/weekly status is of a project in NY, but the local PM's in NY don't know how to operate a drone other than to turn it off / on. so I think what you are saying is that I can fly a mission over the site (with an old map) and map my future missions/waypoints off that new image/video once the building/etc. locations are in place?

I don’t think you can map against the new video, unless you manually adjust the individual waypoints. No map will ever get updated on a weekly basis. You can go into the Litchi Mission hub and readjust your existing route, download the new one, and fly again without any problems. You can also fly the existing route again whenever you want. This would give the head guys an identical comparison week to week.

I still don’t understand why you need to modify the route. It will fly exactly the same mission, getting an updated view of the area on each pass, showing the then current state of the project.

I would go to the site, manually fly the mission in Litchi creating it as you go, tweak it on the HUB, fly it again to make sure it's exactly what you are wanting, and then SHARE your mission with them so they can repeat it as needed. Just keep in mind that new "structures" (walls, cranes, etc) could cause issues as the project progresses.

I would go to the site, manually fly the mission in Litchi creating it as you go, tweak it on the HUB, fly it again to make sure it's exactly what you are wanting, and then SHARE your mission with them so they can repeat it as needed. Just keep in mind that new "structures" (walls, cranes, etc) could cause issues as the project progresses.

I was tempted to suggest the same thing but assumed the PM are not 107 certified.

I was tempted to suggest the same thing but assumed the PM are not 107 certified.

That may be the case as well.

Fortunately the Construction firms working in my area would rather hire this job out which benefits my company greatly :)

Reactions: skymonkey
David, BIGAl07, thanks for the solutions. Pls excuse my ignorance here, but what I'm hearing is that a mission and it's waypoints, etc. can only be created from a GE map, not from a video/photo taken during a mission run.
Also, Skymonkey raises another question for me. If I am 107 certified, but not local, can the local PM's just start up the drone, run the mission, and turn off the drone, if they are not certified?

[QUOTE="wkj3iii, post: 1464974, member:
Also, Skymonkey raises another question for me. If I am 107 certified, but not local, can the local PM's just start up the drone, run the mission, and turn off the drone, if they are not certified?[/QUOTE]

They could, just not legally.[emoji6]

Reactions: BigAl07
David, BIGAl07, thanks for the solutions. Pls excuse my ignorance here, but what I'm hearing is that a mission and it's waypoints, etc. can only be created from a GE map, not from a video/photo taken during a mission run.
Also, Skymonkey raises another question for me. If I am 107 certified, but not local, can the local PM's just start up the drone, run the mission, and turn off the drone, if they are not certified?

To be LEGAL either the RPIC (Part 107 holder) has to be manipulating the controls or be standing there close enough to TAKE control (he/she can't be flying another sUAS) if the need arises. Sort of like an Instructor Role or something.

Even merely tapping the START button to start the mission is Flying The Aircraft and taking responsibility for the safety of the flight which would indeed require the ABOVE options to be in place.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan