Can someone help me optimize my waypoints flight?

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im trying to make a waypoints mission to circle a property that is having some construction done to it. I plan on doing a daily recording.
As far as i know there isnt an orbit option when using waypoints so i manually made a bunch of waypoints around the POI and set it to record.
The plan is to record all around it and then drop to 75 feet to get a center view 90 degrees right down and then turn around 180 degrees while recording the 90 degrees down.

The issue im having is that it seems to stop for 1 second each time it hits another waypoint and doesn't transition smoothly. i really just want a smooth circle or oval footage of the job site. when i export this and run this in lithci flight simulator via google earth it runs very smooth and doesnt show any second stop per waypoint which makes it more confusing to me.
additionally when it drops to the 75ft it doesn't get the full 360 degrees view even though i have it set to flip around 180 degrees..seems it only gets about 75% of what i want.

Would someone be able to assist me making a better waypoints to get this done better then i have?
Thanks

Last edited:
Not sure what drone you're running with but I have used the standard orbit feature of the DJI Go 4 app with good effect to generate a smooth circuit around a plot -

Also, the feature I think you're after with the 2nd part of the flight is a 'lookabout' spherical pano, like this one Photo stitching software 360 degree Panorama image software - PTGui Stitching Software (see image a few paragraphs down, it opens up full screen).

EDIT - better example Setu Babakan from no, Jl. Srengseng Sawah No.84, RT.1/RW.7, Srengseng Sawah, Kec. Jagakarsa, Kota Jakarta Selatan, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 12630, Indonesia

I used to use 360player - Embed 360 degree images on your website for these but it's no longer free, I'm trying out Roundme at the moment.

HTH Adam

Last edited:
Not sure what drone you're running with but I have used the standard orbit feature of the DJI Go 4 app with good effect to generate a smooth circuit around a plot -

Also, the feature I think you're after with the 2nd part of the flight is a 'lookabout' spherical pano, like this one Photo stitching software 360 degree Panorama image software - PTGui Stitching Software (see image a few paragraphs down, it opens up full screen).

EDIT - better example Setu Babakan from no, Jl. Srengseng Sawah No.84, RT.1/RW.7, Srengseng Sawah, Kec. Jagakarsa, Kota Jakarta Selatan, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 12630, Indonesia

I used to use 360player - Embed 360 degree images on your website for these but it's no longer free, I'm trying out Roundme at the moment.

HTH Adam
I’m using the phantom pro 4 v2.
using litchi as I need to use their waypoints.
orbit won’t work for me as waypoints doesn’t allow orbit inside a waypoints mission.
I think the issue is that unless you do curved lines and not straight lines it won’t be smooth and pass through the waypoints. Rather it momentarily stops by each and every waypoint.
but then again you cant set it to record as an action unless your doing straight lines.

You are right but dont see why you can't use curved turns and poi s to achieve what you want .You use the poi placement and height to make the camera point where you want .You are not out of range so speed changes and gimbal pitch changes will work as you plan them .
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you are trying to achieve

Reactions: ron-ep
You are right but dont see why you can't use curved turns and poi s to achieve what you want .You use the poi placement and height to make the camera point where you want .You are not out of range so speed changes and gimbal pitch changes will work as you plan them .
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you are trying to achieve
I am out of range. and im told that it wont adjust speed or pitch if you are out of range.

Hey guys, Im trying to make a waypoints mission to circle a property that is having some construction done to it. I plan on doing a daily recording.
As far as i know there isnt an orbit option when using waypoints so i manually made a bunch of waypoints around the POI and set it to record.
The plan is to record all around it and then drop to 75 feet to get a center view 90 degrees right down and then turn around 180 degrees while recording the 90 degrees down.
here is my results. a 2 min video:
Ive also uploaded my flight path files.

The issue im having is that it seems to stop for 1 second each time it hits another waypoint and doesn't transition smoothly. i really just want a smooth circle or oval footage of the job site. when i export this and run this in lithci flight simulator via google earth it runs very smooth and doesnt show any second stop per waypoint which makes it more confusing to me.
additionally when it drops to the 75ft it doesn't get the full 360 degrees view even though i have it set to flip around 180 degrees..seems it only gets about 75% of what i want.

Would someone be able to assist me making a better waypoints to get this done better then i have?
Thanks

Post the Litchi Mission hub link (Missions Open untick private then copy link and share it so we can see what is happening

A good way to get a circle is to use the app, enter waypoint mode and then click the spanner icon and choose the pencil, you can then draw free hand the route you want, save it then open it in the mission hub to edit it

Post the Litchi Mission hub link (Missions Open untick private then copy link and share it so we can see what is happening

A good way to get a circle is to use the app, enter waypoint mode and then click the spanner icon and choose the pencil, you can then draw free hand the route you want, save it then open it in the mission hub to edit it
i uploaded it in a zip file on original post.

i uploaded it in a zip file on original post.

No thats the CSV file, I want to see the actual flight on Mission Hub

like this one

No thats the CSV file, I want to see the actual flight on Mission Hub

like this one

well it seems reason it stops each time is bec i didnt have curved enabled. seems stright lines stops at each waypoint. What really stinks is that with curved enabled you cannot have waypoints actions. they are disabled. so if i want to take pictures or videos recording i would either need to manually toggle it to take a picture/video, or start recording from beginning of flight.

So followup. Ive adjusted my flight and here is the new one.
and here is a video:

My objective is to do a smooth orbit around a POI without receiver connected.
Orbit mode requires the receiver to be connected so that is why im doing it in waypoints.
The issue is how to get a goo round orbit...I found a different forum that gave me a good tip to open in google earth tool and use the ruler to make a perfect circle around my POI. Ive done that in this flight and you can see that it added tons of waypoints in a perfect circle around my POI.
The issue is its still not getting a smooth orbit quality video - its jerky sometimes and turns fast from waypoint to waypoint.
Could someone advise what I can do to improve this?
Remember the receiver is not on during this project so it cant do the normal orbit/gimble pitch/ speed adjustments etc. limited to same speed...same gimble pitch.
Thanks!

Last edited:
You might have too many waypoint s and possibly you circle is too small .
You can drag the whole mission to some other location and re save it with a different file name The original file will still stay the same but you can post the Litchi mission without anyone seeing the original location .I have done this before with a ascending spiral to share and analyze a mission This works as long as your not analyzing the fight above ground level which you are not .
With a circle I have found that even though it looks perfect its hard to match all the curves radius properly .

You might have too many waypoint s and possibly you circle is too small .
You can drag the whole mission to some other location and re save it with a different file name The original file will still stay the same but you can post the Litchi mission without anyone seeing the original location .I have done this before with a ascending spiral to share and analyze a mission This works as long as your not analyzing the fight above ground level which you are not .
With a circle I have found that even though it looks perfect its hard to match all the curves radius properly .
Well it’s a perfect circle according to the google earth trick I saw someone else do on a forum. as for being too small - it works perfectly with orbit mode and the same height and radius. So too small of a circle I dont think is the issue.

I created this one a while back by finding the type of spiral I wanted on Google printing it on tracing paper then pinning the paper over the laptop screen and placing WPs along it .Crude way of going about it but it worked . I found the camera movement jerky at some WPs if the curves were not matched properly Its hard to see this on a screen It was more trial an error even then it still needed more work . I never tried a circle .Hope this maybe of some help.

I missed your posted mission sorry .Looking at your mission settings you have default curve setting 75% but each of the WPs is showing 0 curve size. I have always manually entered the curve size but it should work the way you have done it .Try ticking Interpolate

I missed your posted mission sorry .Looking at your mission settings you have default curve setting 75% but each of the WPs is showing 0 curve size. I have always manually entered the curve size but it should work the way you have done it .Try ticking Interpolate
I have them all set for Interpolate. each waypoint has it set as Interpolate. Any other ideas?

I have them all set for Interpolate. each waypoint has it set as Interpolate. Any other ideas?
maybe i should remove a bunch of the waypoints and rely on the curved feature to circle properly? like i can remove 75% of them and keep the main 4 points of the circle.
Thoughts?

well it seems reason it stops each time is bec i didnt have curved enabled. seems stright lines stops at each waypoint. What really stinks is that with curved enabled you cannot have waypoints actions. they are disabled. so if i want to take pictures or videos recording i would either need to manually toggle it to take a picture/video, or start recording from beginning of flight.
I believe litchi will take photos by interval. So just use curved turns and take a photo every N seconds.

I believe litchi will take photos by interval. So just use curved turns and take a photo every N seconds.
im doing video...i just have it recording the whole thing so thats not the issue. its just jerky as it circles around.

im doing video...i just have it recording the whole thing so thats not the issue. its just jerky as it circles around.
I thought your complaint was that you couldn’t set actions to take pictures at waypoints using curved turns. If that’s not an issue then why not use curved turns while shooting video? Maybe I misunderstood.

Or why not record from the beginning of flight and throw away what you don’t need? Any respectable SD card will hold at least a battery’s worth of video.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl