Reaction score
If anyone can help me with this little problem, I'd be eternally grateful!

Here's the situation. I bought a Phantom 3 standard a while back. I'm a photographer so being able to take 2.7k aerial video was a no-brainer. However, my computer will not play ANY of the 2.7k videos I take with it. Never has since the beginning. Initially I thought it might be player codecs missing or something along those lines. I found a work around but it really defeats the purpose of shooting in 2.7k. I have a video converter program and I take the original 2.7k videos and convert them to I believe it's 1920x1080 and these videos play perfectly. I could just shoot in 1920x1080 but then, why do I have a drone that shoots 2.7k. This is really frustrating, let alone the fact that my hard drive is filling up fast with 1gb or greater original videos and then 1/2 gb (give or take) reduced resolution copies of everything I shoot.

My computer 'should' be able to handle the video. It's a very fast, quad-core pentium processor. I use windows media player (fully updated) and/or vlc media player (also running newest version, etc.) I use an IPad Mini as my control device. I've tried everything I can think of to get the full resolution versions to play and they just won't play! The reason I don't use an Android phone is my phone was kind of old and the DJI Go app was incompatible with it.

Funny thing is, in my video editor (Wondershare Filmora) I can import the original 2.7k videos and Filmora's internal player will play the videos just fine. I upload the originals to my Google Photos albums and Google Photo's internal player will play them too, on my computer, the very same one that I cannot play them on straight from the sd card. Even if I copy them to my hard drive, they still won't play!

Now here's where it gets weird. I recently upgraded my phone to an LG G5, a brand new phone that's just come out. It's android, not sure of the version at the moment. DJI Go is compatible with this phone and I recently took a series of videos using this phone as the controller. NO OTHER DIFFERENCES in settings or anything, just a different phone. I took the sd card and put it in my computer's media card reader and clicked one of these new videos and was flabbergasted to find they play perfectly! I went back and tried to play some earlier ones that were taken with the IPad Mini again to see if anything had changed, but they STILL won't play.

Can anyone explain this to me? Any ideas what difference there could be in my 2.7k videos using an IPad Mini versus an Android LG G5 phone? I am completely mystified. I could obviously only take videos using my phone from now on, but I really need the larger screen size of the IPad Mini as my eyesight for close range viewing is not what it used to be and I would need to wear reading glasses to see the phone screen clearly.

If anyone can help me with this issue, you'd be forever in my gratitude! Why won't my IPad Mini videos play and what would I have to do to get them to, like my phone videos?

Mystified Mark

Can you check what format was used for recording the different videos....maybe your original videos are .MOV and the later ones are MP4.

I'm no expert, but I don't think windows media player is happy with .MOV files.

Reactions: Pharm
No, I'm certain that they were all shot in .mov format. The reason I'm sure is a bit of another puzzle. :( I used to be able to change the format I'm shooting in freely but for some reason and I'm guessing after a firmware update, I can no longer change the format I'm shooting in. If I try, the whole app freezes up and crashes! So it seems I'm permanently stuck on 2.7k .mov files.

No, I'm certain that they were all shot in .mov format. The reason I'm sure is a bit of another puzzle. :( I used to be able to change the format I'm shooting in freely but for some reason and I'm guessing after a firmware update, I can no longer change the format I'm shooting in. If I try, the whole app freezes up and crashes! So it seems I'm permanently stuck on 2.7k .mov files.

OK, lots of windows stock stuff dont like MOV. Sooo. if you want to shoot move, download quicktime to play videos (will play MOV, but bloated crappy stuff to put on an PC). If you want to play it in anything, download handbrake video converter and covert. If you want to be able to record in MP4, uninstall the app on the portable device and reinstall. If that doesnt do it. Downgrade the firmware on the bird one level (see DJI instructions on how to do this, rather easy) then upgrade again. One of the above should fix it. The best option IMHO is to record in MP4 since you aint an Apple dude.

If your app acts flakey, there could be other issues with it that fubar a flight. I wouldnt fly with a one-off issue as its very likely it also impacts something else that you havent found or havent noticed yet.

I haven't had any issues playing P3's 2.7k or 4k video using GOMplayer. Don't even try the latest version(s). Its now full of spyware and malware. They sold their soul.

I shoot in MP4 now and don't have any issue loading them into VLC, Premiere, or Lightroom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20