Very close call and crash with my Dji Phantom 4

D

Deleted member 58860

Had my first crash and close call with my Phantom 4, lost rc signal and it started to return to home, thanks to the obsticle avoidance system it didnt crash, but it was hella close
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really a close call didn't you actually hit the building. Obstacle avoidance....???

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Not really a close call didn't you actually hit the building. Obstacle avoidance....???

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yeah crash first and then close call, obstacle avoidance is two IR sensors on the front that are supposed to make it see forward, so you cant crash it, but i guess it was difficult to see.
I lost contact with the rc when flying, so it flew by itself!

Wow, you shouldn't have lost signal so close. Here's a few tips:

1. Select a flight channel that's not busy. Do this manually using "Custom channel".
2. When you select the channel manually you'll see a "transmission quality" slider bar. Set that to the minimum at 4mbps
3. Install the channel hack into your Go app to get 32 channels. The upper channels of 28 to 32 are much quieter to extend your range.
4. Never fly behind anything. When flying via FPV is important you always have LOS in scenarios like yours. I spotter can help with that as you fly FPV.

I still don't understand how you could have lost signal that close by. I appears you were only 200' away. The only explanation is the tower you were shooting was emitting 2.4Ghz wifi, but I doubt if that's the case.

You got lucky there.

1. Select a flight channel that's not busy. Do this manually using "Custom channel".
2. When you select the channel manually you'll see a "transmission quality" slider bar. Set that to the minimum at 4mbps
3. Install the channel hack into your Go app to get 32 channels. The upper channels of 28 to 32 are much quieter to extend your range.
4. Never fly behind anything. When flying via FPV is important you always have LOS in scenarios like yours. I spotter can help with that as you fly FPV.

I still don't understand how you could have lost signal that close by. I appears you were only 200' away. The only explanation is the tower you were shooting was emitting 2.4Ghz wifi, but I doubt if that's the case.

You got lucky there.
Thanks a lot for the tips, i also dont understand why, i had the antennas in the right position, next time ill be more careful when flying behind things. Thanks a lot for the tips, and i was indeed lucky :D. This was my first really scary moment, i will also always think of setting the RTH altitude above all buildings to avoid this in the future!
Thanks a lot!

The over hang on the building looked like it was going to get your props once it started going up . **** lucky . Thank god you got it back in 1 piece.

Thanks a lot for the tips, i also dont understand why, i had the antennas in the right position, next time ill be more careful when flying behind things. Thanks a lot for the tips, and i was indeed lucky :D. This was my first really scary moment, i will also always think of setting the RTH altitude above all buildings to avoid this in the future!
Thanks a lot!
I suggest you upload your flight log to Healthy drones, or msinger's flight log reader and see what you can learn from the data. Share the link with us.

After thinking about your video, if you had OA enabled while flying it shouldn't have allowed you to get that close to the object in the first place, since you were going so slow. My P4 stops way before that, so it appears you didn't have OA enabled when you were flying, correct? If that's the case, I have learned something new about RTH OA, it lets the craft get closer to an object than OA would normally allow while flying.

So, tip #5, always use OA when doing POI shots of an object like that. It will keep you a safe distance away.

Last edited:
The over hang on the building looked like it was going to get your props once it started going up . **** lucky . Thank god you got it back in 1 piece.
That was my exact tought as well, i was really lucky it didnt hit the props.
Thanks a lot for taking your time and commenting!

I suggest you upload your flight log to Healthy drones, or msinger's flight log reader and see what you can learn from the data. Share the link with us.

After thinking about your video, if you had OA enabled while flying it shouldn't have allowed you to get that close to the object in the first place, since you were going so slow. My P4 stops way before that, so it appears you didn't have OA enabled when you were flying, correct? If that's the case, I have learned something new about RTH OA, it lets the craft get closer to an object than OA would normally allow while flying.

So, tip #5, always use OA when doing POI shots of an object like that. It will keep you a safe distance away.
I will do that! Thanks again for the tips and thanks for commenting!

wow not impressed with p4 obstacle avoidance system

You got lucky there.
Is it better to set transmission quality to 4mbps even if you don't plan on going far?

wow not impressed with p4 obstacle avoidance system
i agree, i think its because of that im coming into it at an angle witch makes it detect on the left first, and not on the right, but i am not sure!

I do have OA! No idea why it didnt stop earlier!

Nice video from Stadshuset! What about the no fly zone over Stockholm? Has it changed or is it possible to fly at certain times?

Nice video from Stadshuset! What about the no fly zone over Stockholm? Has it changed or is it possible to fly at certain times?
Thanks a lot! the zones are open different times, but i highly recommend to call Luftfartsverket here 011-19 20 00 and ask them, i got some very very useful information, just ask for it and it should be fine!

Someone already mentioned the overhang... but the mast at the top too! The mast was likely far too thin for OA to recongnise so I'd say you were REALLY lucky! Cheers!

Just a note. You CAN fly behind things, but make sure you have set your RTH altitude higher than the object you are behind. That way, should you lose signal, your Phantom will climb above the object before coming returning home.

Thanks a lot!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic