Updated to 1.0.40 = FAIL

Reaction score
I have been using 1.0.39 with success for weeks and decided to give 1.0.40 a try today. What a joke. It did nothing but freeze and pixelate and green screen even at 20 ft away. I have since reverted to 1.0.39 again and will stay there. Lesson learned. I know there are other threads about bad FPV but I can tell you that 1.0.40 is a failure for me on my note3 with kitkat.

Can you give more info, like what device you are using i.e iPhone 4S

I am currently using 1.0.37 with a iPhone 5S with no issues. Don't know if that is the latest and greatest.

dannytroy said:
4wd said:
Just uninstall it and download the 1.0.39 from here.
http://droneslinger.com/software.html
I searched half an hour last night for 1.0.39, and never found it. Thanks for that great link!

Okay... this is weird. Many of us, flying the P2V, had experienced the FPV freezing problems with 1.0.39 and either went back to 1.0.38 or forward to 1.0.40 to remedy the problem. I had severe problems on 1.0.39 and I'm problem free at 1.0.40... This is with a Nexus 7 2012 model running (I think) 4.4.2 KitKat... :?

If this is all true, and I have no reason to doubt you guys, then what I suspected is going on IS going on. Fixes for the Vision + break the Vision and vice versa. These dysfunctional nitwits at DJI need to finally put out separate firmware for these two aircraft. :shock:

-slinger

Careful what you wish for. Forking the smartphone app (which is what I assume you really mean) will require the developers to do more work for feature additions and bug fixes, and tends to lead toward things like bug fixes that only get applied to one release and not the other. This isn't going to be a net gain for the customers.

Further, it makes sense for there to be a common smartphone app because it is only loosely integrated with the quad's firmware--it's done via a protocol over the wireless link, and (particularly at this point in their development) it's probably where most of the development effort is going--the flight control firmware is pretty mature by now.

The real issue, I suspect, is that there are two different versions of the quad firmware (necessarily) and any difference in behavior lies there--both quads should speak to the smartphone app in the same way. Splitting the app software as well leads to madness.

Teething bugs, not insurmountable. What you really want is for them to fix the quad firmware bugs that manifest themselves as different smartphone behavior--it will be much better in the long term.

dkatz42 said:
Careful what you wish for. Forking the smartphone app (which is what I assume you really mean) will require the developers to do more work for feature additions and bug fixes, and tends to lead toward things like bug fixes that only get applied to one release and not the other. This isn't going to be a net gain for the customers.

Further, it makes sense for there to be a common smartphone app because it is only loosely integrated with the quad's firmware--it's done via a protocol over the wireless link, and (particularly at this point in their development) it's probably where most of the development effort is going--the flight control firmware is pretty mature by now.

The real issue, I suspect, is that there are two different versions of the quad firmware (necessarily) and any difference in behavior lies there--both quads should speak to the smartphone app in the same way. Splitting the app software as well leads to madness.

Teething bugs, not insurmountable. What you really want is for them to fix the quad firmware bugs that manifest themselves as different smartphone behavior--it will be much better in the long term.

No... That is not what I really mean. What I really mean is what I stated. An app is an app... The problem is with the firmware. They're trying to use exactly the same firmware on both aircraft and the apps are reacting differently with each aircraft. I'm thinking that what they need to do is to put out separate firmware that's aircraft specific, instead of trying to shoehorn both aircraft into the same firmware that's dealing with dissimilar hardware. :shock:

If they can make the firmware work perfectly on both platforms... that'd be just swell. But with their track record of making their firmware work perfectly on any single platform, I seriously doubt that's in the cards... ;)

gunslinger said:
No... That is not what I really mean. What I really mean is what I stated. An app is an app... The problem is with the firmware. They're trying to use exactly the same firmware on both aircraft and the apps are reacting differently with each aircraft. I'm thinking that what they need to do is to put out separate firmware that's aircraft specific, instead of trying to shoehorn both aircraft into the same firmware that's dealing with dissimilar hardware. :shock:

If they can make the firmware work perfectly on both platforms... that'd be just swell. But with their track record of making their firmware work perfectly on any single platform, I seriously doubt that's in the cards... ;)
I guess the interesting question is whether the hardware is identical. Clearly the camera and gimbal are different (and have different firmware) but I'd hazard a guess that the rest of it is the same.

It's tough to tell what is actually the issue here. The OP was talking about issues with the Android app, not the firmware, which is why I was confused by your statement, especially since you seemed to be talking about the app yourself. As such, I'm not sure what you're basing your statement on.

(My day job is the design and implementation of software for complex embedded systems, which is why I have opinions about this stuff.)

dkatz42 said:
gunslinger said:

I guess the interesting question is whether the hardware is identical. Clearly the camera and gimbal are different (and have different firmware) but I'd hazard a guess that the rest of it is the same.

It's tough to tell what is actually the issue here. The OP was talking about issues with the Android app, not the firmware, which is why I was confused by your statement, especially since you seemed to be talking about the app yourself. As such, I'm not sure what you're basing your statement on.

(My day job is the design and implementation of software for complex embedded systems, which is why I have opinions about this stuff.)

I've been an IT manager for twenty-five years, which is also why I'm interested in this stuff. ;) I'm the recipient of many firmware SNAFUs over the years... :shock:

The P2V+ also has a different extender and the ability to display how much life is in the extender's battery. My point really does have to do with the app in an oblique sort of way. What I'm hearing here, is that Android app v 1.0.39 hosed the P2V but worked fine on the P2V+. Android app v 1.0.40 was much better for the P2V, but hosed the P2V+. I find that interesting.

What I'm getting at, and I could be ignorantly way off base, is that if the firmware was designed specifically for each aircraft, because of the dissimilarities, that the app would have a much better chance to work properly on both.

Same firmware + same app + dissimilar hardware = Houston... we have a problem... :D

-slinger

I agree - for those of us flying both aircraft it seems DJI do not have a common app which is positive for both aircraft, what works for one doesnt work for the other and its so bloody annoying !! They should have just bit the bullet and kept separate apps for the vision and the plus cos the 2 clearly dont mix !

Rant over

:evil:

Dirty, where did you get 1.0.39? My version when I open it, says, "DJI Vision is Shutting Down". I have never been able to get .39 to run on my Nexus 7.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic