NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again over water!!! UPDATE!!!

I plan on flying my Spark over water when spawning season gets here for bream. Probably in May. There are generally close to the bank and you can see them good from the air. I figured I would locate them with the drone. I could take off and land from the boat. I could pull up to the bank and fly from there. Wonder how high I should keep the Spark while flying. Any suggestions.
How high. Why? Don't know why is the height relevant. To see the fish or not to disturb them as they might go away.
I think a few m would be just right, depends on how big territory you want to catch into the shot. About the noise - don't know how the sound of a drone spreads through the water but generally speaking water diminish any sound. And Spark is quieter than Phantom so this should not be a problem.
Maybe it would be better to turn off the VP sensor although if you fly more than 4 m from the surface it won't be a problem.
For photos of such kind it is almost necessary to use a CP photo filter to eliminate any reflex from the water surface.

Last edited:
I would think to see a bream bed I could fly 30 or 40 feet above the water. They make a very distinct bed in shallow water. I think I could see it well from 40 feet. If I can do it that would be a great help. I could scout in a few minutes what it would take me a while to fish. Just a thought. Don't know if I will be brave enough to do it or not.

Thanks Andy. I have a small pond right behind my house. I might experiment with it. Just fly over the edge of it and see how it goes. I was flying my P4 yesterday and a guy was talking to me about it. I was telling him about the RTH. I had taken off manually from the short grass. I was on a golf course on the tee box. In RTH it wouldn't land on the grass. It just hovered. I didn't know it would do that. I guess over water is different. Thanks for the information.

At least you've learned one good lesson; as the other isn't really a lesson.

Warning signs from reading your post:

1. It took you 4 attempts, for some reason, to get flight battery hooked up correct to charger w/o errors (why? did you investigate the cause of problem?)
2. Not remembering launch sequence for DJI F550 after it having been a while (You really should know or familiarise before taking off)
3. Didn't check battery voltage when over the middle of a reservoir of water
4. Screen; generally when DJI loses signal its a greyed out screen (sometimes black on external displays)
5. Using your face/mouth to disconnect battery cable

DJI AC's generally have operating temperatures and I know from experience very low temperates can have derimental effects and reduce flight times of the AC.

Water was not your problem here, as you made a decision to jump in a seemingly ice cold lake to go in after it. The positive news from your end is you managed to salvage the AC which requires replacement parts (or can be used as replacements parts). At least your most recent post confirms the battery's inability to hold a charge. Try and keep your batteries in a dry place; preferably where the temperature can be controlled as this will effect the lifecycle of them.

RoOSTA

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sofiia_photolemur