Updated to the new firmware

Reaction score
ok so after however long since the new firmware was released and all the bad things being said about it , I decided I need to find out what’s what. So I decided to update.

The way I did it is probably different for what a lot of people say, but I’ve always updated my phantoms this way.

I plugged in my iPad and turned controller and iPad on. With no drone turned on.

I then updated the firmware on the controller and restarted it. Easy.

Then I turned iPad , controller and drone on and clicked the update firmware button on the go4 app home screen.

This told me to connect the device via the lead supplied. So I left everything turned on unplugged the usb from the rear of the controller and plugged it into the adapter lead and then the phantom. Then I thought I should turn everything off and back on. So I did.

Once all fired back up I pressed the update firmware button it started doing its thing.

I had 3 weird tings happen. But kept going and it said successfull.

1st and 2nd was a error message at around 94% it said something like this device is not compatible with the update. I clicked ok and it continued through to 95% then at 96% same error again I clicked on again and it continued to 97%.

Then at 97% the camera started going crazy up down left right side to side hard as well thought it was gonna snap but I had to let it go until it reaches 100% said successful or whatever and then turned everything off quick lol.

Fired it all up again and this time it said there was a geo fencing update. Did this in like 5 seconds restarted it all again and took it outside for a very quick test.

Notes:

Seems to fly as normal. Only thing did notice BUT I could be being paranoid was it was a little more wobbly at hover than usual. It wasn’t bad and if I hadn’t read anything about this I probably wouldn’t be concerned. Could be nothing , could be the wind at the time and place I was at.

As I flew to 235 ft it looked steady like normal and the camera and horizon told me it was as normal.

Took her 1800fr distance or so for a quick flight all seemed ok, tested return to home seemed ok. It got A little annoyed with me because I had things in the way when it was trying to land and the protection cut in , but it seemed fine. It did seem like the landing was 5-10 ft off from take off but to be honest I’ve never really monitored closely how close to take off it lands.

It worked ok so I’ll test it more later.

Hopefully later me and dazzauksdad will test our p4s side by side mines updated his isn’t so that will be a good test.

If anyone wants to chip in or add something I should do etc that would be great.

On another note I updated p4 with sd card out and it seems without a more thourough look that the only setting changed were the remote c1 and c2 buttons, the rth altitude and one more non important setting but I will go through them later more thouroghly.

Daz

Glad it updated fine, get ready for constant geofencing updates. In the last week I've updated my iOS device 3 times, a forced RC FW update yesterday followed by another geofence update. Not sure what's going on but I'll be looking for a bigger and more dedicated device to keep up.
As for the wobbling about of the drone, I had a similar experience when I first updated the FW a while back and the new six step IMU calibration fixed it.

Glad it updated fine, get ready for constant geofencing updates. In the last week I've updated my iOS device 3 times, a forced RC FW update yesterday followed by another geofence update. Not sure what's going on but I'll be looking for a bigger and more dedicated device to keep up.
As for the wobbling about of the drone, I had a similar experience when I first updated the FW a while back and the new six step IMU calibration fixed it.

Interestingly I checked my imu sensors agains my dads who’s p4 wasn’t updated at the time and his green bars were lower than mine. So I might do a calibration.

Is it difficult?

Interestingly I checked my imu sensors agains my dads who’s p4 wasn’t updated at the time and his green bars were lower than mine. So I might do a calibration.

Is it difficult?
Nah, just need to be mindful of the orientation of the drone during the calibration. I initially tried it on an iPhone 6+ and couldn't see the drones position relative to the background (small screen) and the steps would stop until you moved the quad to the next plane. On a larger device, no problem and once I figured it out, it took about 2 minutes. The hover problem was gone and the warm up time dropped from 3 minutes to 20 seconds.

What do you think about my hover. This video compare ones updated phantom and one NON updated phantom.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What do you think about my hover. This video compare ones updated phantom and one NON updated phantom.

Bit hard to tell from the video but the one on the left (obviously not your dad's?) is moving around slightly more. The problem I had was at 20-30 mtrs where it was moving around so much I could have thrown my washing, some detergent and water at it and knocked off Saturday afternoon's chores.
I've certainly seen worse than yours, try it at a higher height, away from VPS and see how it performs.

Bit hard to tell from the video but the one on the left (obviously not your dad's?) is moving around slightly more. The problem I had was at 20-30 mtrs where it was moving around so much I could have thrown my washing, some detergent and water at it and knocked off Saturday afternoon's chores.
I've certainly seen worse than yours, try it at a higher height, away from VPS and see how it performs.

The one on the left is my dads lol. The one on the right is mine :)

This is a better video.
Again one on the left not updated. One on the right updated :)

Ok bit the bullet and upgraded my P4 and RC doing exactly as my son did in his post above got the two notifications when updating the p4 saying something about not compatible just pressed ok and it carried on till it said complete...calibrated IMU
went and test flew it 100% perfect steady as a rock.. now the only thing that has got me thinking is both my p4 and my sons p4 were purchased from the same place same time end of April this year..

which is this firmware .. is it the latest?
i got mine on one is v01.02.0602, and which one better compare with that firmware?

The restrictions to height and distance only apply if you do NOT login to the app before you fly ....
you must be logged into the DJI GO app in order to lift the restrictions. Once you login in a location where you have an Internet connection, the DJI GO app should stayed logged in as long as you don't reinstall it and/or manually log out

Last edited:
Thanks I'm from Australia where our flying rules are a bit more relaxed and currently in the Philippines and didn't want to upgrade and loose some flying space.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31