Update on P-OPTI crash

Each to his own I suppose, but I still can't get over the amount of people who get one of these as 'their first drone' with zero experience of flying quads.

People do it because they are coming from the perspective of photographer - they are looking for a good quality camera and a unit that is easy to fly. They look up reviews to see which drones are most popular and why. They don't realise that it's a whole lot more involved than they'd expected. [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What I might suggest is you take a step back, buy a cheap "dumb" drone like a Syma X5-C and practice with it. The beauty is that you will really learn to fly manually with a $50 UAV, plus that little thing can really take a beating when you crash it. You'll actually be amazed how fun it is to fly. This is what I did when I went to quads and I'm glad I did. I can fly the P3 in manual Atti pretty much as easily as GPS mode in most weather.
Even though the P3 is an amazing UAV, I think it is kind a disservice to make it your first UAV. It really spoils you because it does 85% of the flying for you. Kind of like it's best to learn how to drive a stick shift before getting an automatic (maybe I'm dating myself there).

I am actually considering doing just that, re: a cheap drone to learn with. As I said in my previous post, people read reviews about how easy the P3's are to fly and get them based on that recommendation. They often think more of what they'll be able to achieve with it from a photographer's perspective rather than a pilot perspective. [emoji6]

Really what sold me on the Phantom was all the good reviews - when people say they're easy to fly, one assumes they are - I had no idea so many issues could crop up with them prior to purchasing one.

Never tried this but I've been curious. Each version appears to limit you to reverting only one version back. Why couldn't you step backwards incrementally?

You can find old firmware versions here. The only problem is that you'll only be able to downgrade one version. So, if you have 1.6 now, you can only go back to 1.5 (which is not preferred).

Have a read through this post
RC lost signal and will not reconnect | DJI Phantom Forum

Yeah, I see that from yesterday now. That's the first I've read, but have only been on for about three months.

I do have the pro with the extra fan on the gimbal. Sounds isolated, but you can't be too careful.

I wish you the best marzipana. We were all in your shoes at one time or another. Get the Syma and practice, practice, practice. Also, I know it's time consuming but it's all out there in video and forums. Read/watch all you have the time/patience for. There are no shortcuts.

SD

I do have the pro with the extra fan on the gimbal. Sounds isolated, but you can't be too careful.

I wish you the best marzipana. We were all in your shoes at one time or another. Get the Syma and practice, practice, practice. Also, I know it's time consuming but it's all out there in video and forums. Read/watch all you have the time/patience for. There are no shortcuts.SD

I wonder if it's worth using a small fan to cool the P3 if you're using the simulator?

I think I will get the Syma, thank you. I guess what's a bit disconcerting is that you can get a grip on controls while the drone is facing away from you, but as soon as it's facing you, the controls are all suddenly back to front...have to be very quick thinking, especially if the drone starts behaving unexpectedly.

I am actually considering doing just that, re: a cheap drone to learn with.
Really what sold me on the Phantom was all the good reviews - when people say they're easy to fly, one assumes they are - I had no idea so many issues could crop up with them prior to purchasing one.
No cheap "trainer drone" will be as easy to fly as the Phantom 3.

I guess what's a bit disconcerting is that you can get a grip on controls while the drone is facing away from you, but as soon as it's facing you, the controls are all suddenly back to front...have to be very quick thinking, especially if the drone starts behaving unexpectedly.
If you're watching the screen, left is left regardless of the orientation of tour Phantom.
Take your time in a nice open area and it's easy.
The Phantom has so many well thought out features that help you.

No cheap "trainer drone" will be as easy to fly as the Phantom 3.
Nope. It would make more sense to start practicing in a wide open area. And, I mean a place where there are absolutely no obstacles (other than the ground). Keep flying there until you are able to master the controls.

Reactions: Meta4
I think that was their point, LOL...that if you can learn to fly one of those, the P3 will be a piece of cake? ;)
It's a common opinion here.
But it takes 5 minutes to learn to fly a Phantom (and a lot of practice to become proficient)
I think you're better off learning how the Phantom works than mastering manual control of a flighty toy.

Reactions: msinger
If you're watching the screen, left is left regardless of the orientation of tour Phantom.
Take your time in a nice open area and it's easy.
The Phantom has so many well thought out features that help you.

Thanks Meta4...I have to admit, in two days of flying, I probably did look at the Phantom itself more than the screen...I mean, I was checking both, because I was doing video and some photos, but I haven't flown it very high. Where I live, there are certainly lots of open areas, I'm in South Gippsland, but most of it is people's farmland. And it is a fairly hilly area in some places.

It's a common opinion here.
But it takes 5 minutes to learn to fly a Phantom (and a lot of practice to become proficient)
I think you're better off learning how the Phantom works than mastering manual control of a flighty toy.

Yes, I found it was very easy to manoeuvre, especially when it was locked on GPS...I did panic when it suddenly flew away because I just wasn't expecting that. It was a bad idea to fly where I was...I thought I was safe because I was 80m distance from the tree it hit, and was flying very slowly...but the dropout and OPTI mode caught me by total surprise, and I wasn't prepared for it.

That school oval you posted earlier looks like an ideal training ground.
Put the Phantom up in the air, take it easy, pause if you're not sure.
Just get the feel of it and have fun.
As long as there are no trees and buildings nearby, at least 95% of your potential problems are eliminated.

That school oval you posted earlier looks like an ideal training ground.
Put the Phantom up in the air, take it easy, pause if you're not sure.
Just get the feel of it and have fun.
As long as there are no trees and buildings nearby, at least 95% of your potential problems are eliminated.

There are trees around the area, but I guess if I stick to the middle of the oval and don't fly far, it might be okay? There is a cricket pitch near the arrow, not sure if that would interfere with compass? I don't know if they lay any metals beneath the pitches?

cc.jpg

There are trees around the area, but I guess if I stick to the middle of the oval and don't fly far, it might be okay? There is a cricket pitch near the arrow, not sure if that would interfere with compass? I don't know if they lay any metals beneath the pitches?
It's most unlikely to have anything steel down there, but anywhere on the oval (away from fences or lighting poles etc) is fine for calibrating the compass.
The oval should give you plenty of room to zip around without getting too close to anything.
When you've had some experience with basic flying, try the RTH feature to get some practice.
And there's no need to let it autoland, learn to cancel RTH and resume control.

I did try the RTH right there on the oval - I'd been filming to the right where there is a vineyard, and I wanted to test the RTH function...this is a still image from the video of it returning home...

oval.jpg

It's most unlikely to have anything steel down there, but anywhere on the oval (away from fences or lighting poles etc) is fine for calibrating the compass.

By the way, how far is far enough from fences, lighting poles, etc?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31