Update on P-OPTI crash

There's RTH and there's also Home Lock
RTH operates when you use the button on the controller or the screen, or your battery runs low, or your Phanyom loses the Tx signal.
Home Lock is a different way to come home.
Switch to F mode and follow DB's instructions here Update on P-OPTI crash | Page 4 | DJI Phantom Forum

Thank you Meta4...good info, although please remember I only had the unit a few days, so there's a lot to take in. And the "let go of the triggers for it to hover" isn't of much use if it loses GPS signal...but we've been over this already. Right now I have no Phantom at all, so I need to wait until this is resolved. I can't learn everything all at once, just baby steps, LOL.

Btw, I have downloaded the manual for the P3A - quick start guide isn't of that much use, but even in the PDF of the owner's manual, I haven't been able to find any info on doing IMU calibration, so I find it's rather lacking if this is something that is so critical. I tend to learn better when I can see things in action, so better for me to hunt down tutorials that are videos...I'm just watching one now on home lock and how it functions.

Btw, I have downloaded the manual for the P3A - quick start guide isn't of that much use, but even in the PDF of the owner's manual, I haven't been able to find any info on doing IMU calibration, so I find it's rather lacking if this is something that is so critical. I tend to learn better when I can see things in action, so better for me to hunt down tutorials that are videos...I'm just watching one now on home lock and how it functions.
Best self-giving advice. While you are waiting for your bird, watch every single YouTube video you can find about the DJI P3. It's what I did, and it really helps.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Would you say that anything looks like it could be blocking the satellites from my video above?
Maybe. It looks like you are down below some hills and trees. If too low of an altitude and not above the horizon, with a situation where GPS sats are not at high elevation, achieving 10+ sats lock could be a issue. But you can sit on the ground until getting a green P-Opti lock, then start the motors and fly.

Well, some good news finally...my P3A is going to be replaced with a brand new unit. I think it took some pressure from the eBay retailer to the distributor, as they told him they were still waiting to hear from DJI...so I'm not sure whether that's happened, but I just received an email to advise a new one has been allocated and will be shipped out tomorrow.

Great news! It would still be nice to get an explanation of what caused that mode switch. I suspect we will never know though.

Great news! It would still be nice to get an explanation of what caused that mode switch. I suspect we will never know though.

I agree...I am wondering if it's something in the latest 1.6 firmware, as a few others have posted about GPS loss since updating. If I can get a hold of v1.4, is that good and stable?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If I can get a hold of v1.4, is that good and stable?
You can find old firmware versions here. The only problem is that you'll only be able to downgrade one version. So, if you have 1.6 now, you can only go back to 1.5 (which is not preferred).

To be honest, I'd probably practice on an empty oval, I wouldn't feel comfortable having it really high in the sky...I tried the RTH function a day after getting it, it was set to 30m, and even looking up at it then made me feel giddy...I don't understand how people have the confidence to fly these things 200m up in the air.
It's like anything else. Once you've done it 50-100 times, you get used to it and it's like old hat.

SD

Last edited:
I'm curious about something...if the P3 switches into p-OPTI mode, that means its lost satellite reception, right? I thought if that happens it's supposed to RTH?
It only goes in to Failsafe RTH when you lose RC signal for more than 3 seconds. GPS signal loss will not trigger a RTH.

SD

You can find old firmware versions here. The only problem is that you'll only be able to downgrade one version. So, if you have 1.6 now, you can only go back to 1.5 (which is not preferred).

It's not likely to be 1.6 brand new in the box though, right? What version do you use - is the firmware for the Advanced different to the Pro? I guess it would be.

Yes, I see your point...i also didn't know which was the drone was actually facing at the time, which scared me, I didn't want to hit the wrong stick and make it worse...I've since learned that the front of it can be seen on your map with the narrower part of the red arrow...but then also you're apparently meant to make sure you calibrate your iPhone compass so they match...would that be right?
You ALWAYS need to know its orientation. Fliming, still shots, flying home, saving the P3 when it goes in to ATTI mode..... The arm decals show you the front. The red arm lights show you the front. The green arm lights show you the rear. You should always be aware of which way is forward.

SD

You want to practice this on the simulator, until it becomes boring, or with a $40 Hubsan .

SD

I did practice on the simulator before flying; just noticed on another thread someone practiced this and fried something internally in their Phantom because it overheated. Just another thing to make me nervous.

It's not likely to be 1.6 brand new in the box though, right? What version do you use - is the firmware for the Advanced different to the Pro?
Ah -- you're referring to your new Phantom. No, it most likely will not have the latest version installed. Check in the "About" section of the DJI GO app before installing anything.

I always install the most recent firmware version -- after waiting a few days to see if anyone has problems after installing it. DJI does not recommend using 1.5, so anything older than that will be okay to use. If 1.5 is installed, then you should install 1.6.

You ALWAYS need to know its orientation. Fliming, still shots, flying home, saving the P3 when it goes in to ATTI mode..... The arm decals show you the front. The red arm lights show you the front. The green arm lights show you the rear. You should always be aware of which way is forward.

SD

People fly these things so high there's no way they'd be able to see decals or lights in that situation - I know which way is front and back but when it's in the air and suddenly moving fast of its own accord and you kind of panic as a beginner, it's all easier said than done. I just wasn't expecting what occurred to happen, I expected it to hover but it just took off.

And I think I'll need to invest in a sun shade because it's often very difficult to make out what's happening on the screen in sunny weather. [emoji15]

Ah -- you're referring to your new Phantom. No, it most likely will not have the latest version installed. Check in the "About" section of the DJI GO app before installing anything.

I always install the most recent firmware version -- after waiting a few days to see if anyone has problems after installing it. DJI does not recommend using 1.5, so anything older than that will be okay to use. If 1.5 is installed, then you should install 1.6.

I had 1.6 installed in the unit that crashed, and after reading stories here of people having issues with GPS dropouts after upgrading, I'm not so keen to use 1.6 again. I'm still learning how to fly, I want firmware that is reliable and solid, and I'm not convinced 1.6 for the Advanced is. [emoji45]

People fly these things so high there's no way they'd be able to see decals or lights in that situation - I know which way is front and back but when it's in the air and suddenly moving fast of its own accord and you kind of panic as a beginner, it's all easier said than done. I just wasn't expecting what occurred to happen, I expected it to hover but it just took off.

And I think I'll need to invest in a sun shade because it's often very difficult to make out what's happening on the screen in sunny weather. [emoji15]

Up that high, they are flying FPV and use the camera, but they know its orientation and which way is forward. When out of VLOS, you have the camera, map and radar to get her home. I have a Black Friday P3P. It came with FW 1.1.9+. I haven't updated it, and it flies fine and has extreme range with this FW. I "may" have a curved horizon, and don't have IOC features, but have no need for them yet. 40+ flights, 8025' from home point, 30 degree weather and not a single issue.

With all due respect, if you can't get over how much you have invested in your flying pile of money, this may not be the hobby for you. Maybe start with that $40 Hubsan? I've used the on board simulator for 1/2 battery with no issues (1+ hours). Have not heard of any/many who fried their P3 from using the sim? The simulator will teach you all the modes, their characteristics and handling, without any fear of crashing. All the modes and functions work as they would if actually flying.

SD

Each to his own I suppose, but I still can't get over the amount of people who get one of these as 'their first drone' with zero experience of flying quads. I can only think back to what I was like when I started out. There is no way I could have flown the Phantom with any degree of proficiency and the idea of practicing on a grands worth of equipment is a recipe for disaster. Sorry your confidence has been undermined though.....Get yourself a cheapie from Banggood or similar and you'd be good to go.

How long have you been flying? How many flights would be under your belt? As a beginner, the idea of practicing ATTI is a bit frightening, when you're still trying to learn the safest way with P-GPS. For this to happen on the 2nd day of ownership really wigs me out.
Hi, I totally understand what you're saying about being scared to fly in non-gps mode, but as you found out, it's really essential. Sooner or later, if you fly enough, you will experience a condition where the UAV is unable to hold its position without input. It could be a compass error, a gps failure, accelerometer, or other issues.
What I might suggest is you take a step back, buy a cheap "dumb" drone like a Syma X5-C and practice with it. The beauty is that you will really learn to fly manually with a $50 UAV, plus that little thing can really take a beating when you crash it. You'll actually be amazed how fun it is to fly. This is what I did when I went to quads and I'm glad I did. I can fly the P3 in manual Atti pretty much as easily as GPS mode in most weather.
Even though the P3 is an amazing UAV, I think it is kind a disservice to make it your first UAV. It really spoils you because it does 85% of the flying for you. Kind of like it's best to learn how to drive a stick shift before getting an automatic (maybe I'm dating myself there).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik