Update on P-OPTI crash

Well, some good news finally...my P3A is going to be replaced with a brand new unit. I think it took some pressure from the eBay retailer to the distributor, as they told him they were still waiting to hear from DJI...so I'm not sure whether that's happened, but I just received an email to advise a new one has been allocated and will be shipped out tomorrow.
Thats awesome news!
There are trees around the area, but I guess if I stick to the middle of the oval and don't fly far, it might be okay? There is a cricket pitch near the arrow, not sure if that would interfere with compass? I don't know if they lay any metals beneath the pitches?

View attachment 40517
I dont know if the councils do em all the same way in Australia but my local pitch in the oval almost certanly has some fairly significant reinforcing bars in it, almost like a big bar magnet. I went there recently to get a feel for some new software (rather than get any suprises over water) and within 5m above the pitch i got compass errors. All good again when i moved away but repeatable.

Thats awesome news!
I dont know if the councils do em all the same way in Australia but my local pitch in the oval almost certanly has some fairly significant reinforcing bars in it, almost like a big bar magnet. I went there recently to get a feel for some new software (rather than get any suprises over water) and within 5m above the pitch i got compass errors. All good again when i moved away but repeatable.

I really have no idea...it's a high school oval, in a rural area...I have calibrated there but nowhere near the pitch. When you say you got compass errors, do you mean on your Phantom or some other device?

I really have no idea...it's a high school oval, in a rural area...I have calibrated there but nowhere near the pitch. When you say you got compass errors, do you mean on your Phantom or some other device?
Phantom 3 and only when i came in low and slow almost above the pitch. Went back to safe to fly soon after i moved away.

This is almost identical to what happen to me only difference is i never seen my drone again. This happen after a FW update, Never a problem prior. Ive been getting the run around from DJI support on mine. Every morning for the last two weeks ive gotten promises and coupon codes to pay a portion of my drone. All attempts to work this out with DJI til this date have failed

This is almost identical to what happen to me only difference is i never seen my drone again. This happen after a FW update, Never a problem prior. Ive been getting the run around from DJI support on mine. Every morning for the last two weeks ive gotten promises and coupon codes to pay a portion of my drone. All attempts to work this out with DJI til this date have failed

So sorry to hear that, that is awful...what firmware where you on prior to the update? This is looking more and more like a firmware issue for sure, DJI should deal with this properly.

I agree...I am wondering if it's something in the latest 1.6 firmware, as a few others have posted about GPS loss since updating. If I can get a hold of v1.4, is that good and stable?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
It depends what version the new bird comes with, you can only go down one revision or up to the next or latest. 1.4 seemed to cause sight drift or non-straight flight with straight control stick input but otherwise is ok. 1.32 was the best for me. I'm at 1.4 now myself, thinking of downgrading because I don't use the intelligent flight modes. 1.5 had a lot of issues, if that is what is loaded upgrade to 1.6 or move down to 1.4 and see how it works for you. Good luck and congrats on getting the new unit.

It depends what version the new bird comes with, you can only go down one revision or up to the next or latest. 1.4 seemed to cause sight drift or non-straight flight with straight control stick input but otherwise is ok. 1.32 was the best for me. I'm at 1.4 now myself, thinking of downgrading because I don't use the intelligent flight modes. 1.5 had a lot of issues, if that is what is loaded upgrade to 1.6 or move down to 1.4 and see how it works for you. Good luck and congrats on getting the new unit.

Thanks Kphantom...when it arrives, how do I check which firmware is actually on it, with the DJI Go app?

Last edited:
Thanks Kphantom...when it arrives, how do I check which firmware is actually on it, with the DJI Go app?
And click on settings .... down the bottom .... click About
i-bW2PvLd-L.png

Reactions: marzipana

Hi, mind asking .... do you calibrate your compass correctly, as gps and compass have a strong relation....I guess....

Hi, mind asking .... do you calibrate your compass correctly, as gps and compass have a strong relation....I guess....

I believe I did calibrate it correctly, I didn't get any compass error warnings....shouldn't you get a warning if there's an issue?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

has happened to me a lot, the changing modes in flight...
Me too. I do usually fly in gps mode & I do get warnings that it is in ATTI mode but then it comes back again - it does appear to be a false alarm, because it hasn't done anything funny, and the POI will work properly- which means the gps must be working.

And not a single flight mode change for you...that sucks. Like, for me, it sucks, LOL, to have this happen so early into learning how to fly.
Sorry to hear about your crash. I started flying just a year ago & the best piece of advise I received was to learn to be a pilot first. I bought a Blade Nano for $89 with extra batteries for added practice time, one battery lasts like 8 mins & flew it inside the house for a month chasing the cat around. Actually I had to buy another one cause I crashed it to many times & wouldn't fly right. I became a really good knowing how to control this little quad & my first flight with my larger quad was a piece of cake, actually it was easier then the trainer. The trainers are very agile & quick to maneuver. I never once felt intimated, or unsure, very confident & flew it light a pro. An $89 trainer drone is cheaper to replace then a DJI. Don't turn me into PETA, I love animals, the cat was having fun chasing it, he had a blast. Sorry again for your crash.

I wonder if it's worth using a small fan to cool the P3 if you're using the simulator?

I think I will get the Syma, thank you. I guess what's a bit disconcerting is that you can get a grip on controls while the drone is facing away from you, but as soon as it's facing you, the controls are all suddenly back to front...have to be very quick thinking, especially if the drone starts behaving unexpectedly.
That's exactly why you practice with a stupid drone. You will crash it, it takes a while to be able to get your muscle memory wrapped around a quad copter paradigm, but you can do it and annoy pets, friends and family at the same time. What's not to like?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic