Uncontrollable crash

That's how I kill the motors after I catch the P3 by hand, left stick full down for a second kills all motors.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
The act of you holding it is still exerting pressure on the leg, making the phantom think it has landed.
If I don't hold the leg, but let's say attach it with a cable to the ceiling, so it hangs in mid-air. Would this be a reliable test?

Phantom 3 Professional- Starting/Stopping the Motors
Starting/Stopping the Motors

Starting the Motors
A Combination Stick Command (CSC) is used to start the motors. Push both sticks to the bottom inner or outer corners to start the motors. Once the motors have started spinning, release both sticks simultaneously.

There are two methods to stop the motors.
Method 1: When Phantom 3 Professional has landed, push the throttle down , then conduct the same CSC that was used to start the motors, as described above . Motors will stop immediately. Release both sticks once motors stop.
Method 2: When the aircraft has landed, push and hold the throttle down. The motors will stop after three seconds.
Stopping motors1.png
Note:
Do not perform a CSC when the aircraft is in midair, otherwise the motors will suddently stop.

From DJI still doesn't really answer the question.

I do it all the time, no issues.
Exactly. As has been explained countless times on this forum and all Phantom forums, left stick down will not stop the motors in mid air no matter how long you hold it fully down. It will of course stop the motors if held for three seconds once the Phantom has stopped descending. It has also been explained countless times that left stick down is how you should stop the motors once landed since CSC is known to often cause flip overs.

Even so, "left stick down" is a very frequently asked question from rookie pilots since the manual is so poorly written. It may be the most frequently asked question.

What we don't often see is someone flat out insisting (incorrectly of course) that left stick down alone will stop your motors in mid air. That's what someone was insisting in this thread, so we as a community needed to nip that in the bud to keep from confusing people.

Last edited:
Bud Walker, this was my understanding as well from all the verbiage I've read on the matter. Had I not witnessed it occur, I would still think the same. I watched someone drop their P3A to full descent and all 4 motors shut off, not once, but twice. 3 seconds of full descent shut the motors off both times. I was the guy dumb enough to volunteer to catch it. I'm not aware of any differences in operating characteristics between the P3A and P3P, nor of any settings that would allow you to manipulate how the motors are shut off. He was using a different app other than the DJIGO but I don't recall which one.

The last statement in this post says enough for me. You cannot use a third party app to "test" DJI flight commands and then blame the DJI product when the third party app doesnt work. I ALWAYS use left stick all the way down to descend on both my P3A AND P3P and have never had the motors shut down. That's my experience......

As flyNfrank said Fly065.DAT is the crash log.

Every time you turn on and off the battery there is a Dat log created. That includes when you turn the battery on to upload the log file to your computer. So its not always clear which is the crash log.

Below what Dashware recorded in the last 30 seconds of the Fly065.dat flight straight out of the converted Dat using the Datconverter at GUI Version of DatConverter.

Check the altitude graph, the stick movement gauge and and the motors chart.
Fairly clear a CSC was initiated, shutting the motors, altitude loss and crash. This is from the telemetry info out of the the DAT.

Despite all the noise in this thread, this actual data clearly shows a mid-air CSC.

This was the cause of the crash, plain and simple. The thread continues on because...?

The last statement in this post says enough for me. You cannot use a third party app to "test" DJI flight commands and then blame the DJI product when the third party app doesnt work. I ALWAYS use left stick all the way down to descend on both my P3A AND P3P and have never had the motors shut down. That's my experience......

I don't think that a different app should have an impact on what emergency commands get relayed to the bird. That would make a very dangerous situation if every app had a different set of commands. I would bet that the CSC command has nothing to do with the app, which can be evidenced by the fact that the command can be issued when the app crashes etc.

Reactions: Fernossi
AFAIK, and from what I've experienced, only a CSC will stop the motors in mid air. I have pulled the left stick all the way down multiple times with no issue.

The old controller used to LOCK the left stick down. Enough said!

Those of you who claim you 'do it all the time with no issue' , are you holding full descent for more than 3 seconds?. And to be clear, I am in no way spreading mis-information. I'm simply sharing my experience. Hopefully it will save someone from an 'abrupt landing'.

Reactions: Fernossi
T
I wasn't there so I'm just guessing. Is it possible that in all the fun and excitement of catching a falling P3 that you were distracted and didn't see what the pilot was doing with the sticks. Sounds like it might have been fun.

I will admit that I was not able to watch the operators movements, but did observe very rapid descent for appx. 3 seconds before the motors shut off. I was a bit nervous and paid full attention to the quad, not the pilot. And it was fun, but only because it wasn't MY P3.

Those of you who claim you 'do it all the time with no issue' , are you holding full descent for more than 3 seconds?. And to be clear, I am in no way spreading mis-information. I'm simply sharing my experience. Hopefully it will save someone from an 'abrupt landing'.
Last night I brought the AC down 230' in 30 seconds by holding the left stick down.
The motors did not stop.
upload_2016-5-10_17-9-58.png

Yes. I did this today and held the stick completely down for >20 seconds with no issues.

Why would your battery say 70 percent at the start of the flight. If that was the case that was your problem. It indicates 70 percent them under a load it drops to unsafe battery level. DJI says always use a fully charged battery 100%. There has been a lot of post regarding this on this forum. Sorry for your lose.
Starting a flight at 90 or 80 or 70 percent battery only means you will fly for a shorter length of time. It does not cause catastrophic failures to your phantom until it reached critical battery levels.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Pulling the left stick to the fully downward position will most definitely shut off your motors. Doesn't matter if your close to the ground or 100 feet in the air. Since the new update, all that is required to shut down is left stick down. I'm not saying that is what happened, but some of the info stated above was incorrect. Just wanted to clarify.
This is not true. The only time the left stick only will kill the motors is if the phantom senses it is no longer decending, is landed. This is how bad information gets out there. I have pulled all the way back on my left stick many times and all it does is decend at a pre set max rate, which if I recall is 3 or 6 meters per second. I repeat the left stick will not shut off the motors unless the bird is no longer moving. If it does shut them off there is a much bigger problem with firmware that needs to be addressed.

Yes. I did this today and held the stick completely down for >20 seconds with no issues.
Yes. The left stick completely down is a great tool for landing. Simply spy your bird in the sky, put left stick down, then bring it towards you with the right stick while trying to keep it "still" relative to its position in the sky by increasing or decreasing throttle. The bird will seem not to move but will actually be moving closer and closer towards you. I have used left stick completely down countless times and for long periods of time to bring the aircraft in from a distance.

I thought that rc controls have nothing to do with the app you are using but is just between the RC and Phantom.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think you're right. I can't think of an app command that changes the behavior of the controller. Seems to me, the controller is going to control the aircraft just as it is designed to do, regardless whether you are using a DJI app, a Litchi app, some other app, or no app at all.

I think you're right. I can't think of an app command that changes the behavior of the controller. Seems to me, the controller is going to control the aircraft just as it is designed to do, regardless whether you are using a DJI app, a Litchi app, some other app, or no app at all.

The only thing that changes the controller that I know of are the c1-2 buttons, and the ability to change modes for the controls.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20