Uncontrollable crash

Talked about this subject a month ago and I am still afraid to pull left stick all the way back unless I'm catching it.

I know for a FACT that it will. I've seen it happen. And I've seen numerous cases of it happening on this forum. There is a thread where it is discussed.

Oso, if your so sure, why not fly up a few hundred feet then full down on the left stick. Post the telemetry afterward. Lets get to the bottom of this. With your bird of course.

Reactions: curiosity
I know for a FACT that it will. I've seen it happen. And I've seen numerous cases of it happening on this forum. There is a thread where it is discussed.
Please sir stop spreading completely incorrect information.

Left stick fully down will not stop the motors unless the Phantom has already stopped descending by being on the ground (landed) or in your hand via hand catch.

Again, prove it. I've seen it happen. As soon as you post something proving your point, I'll listen. Until then, Hogwash I say.

Again, prove it. I've seen it happen. As soon as you post something proving your point, I'll listen. Until then, Hogwash I say.

Not saying true or not. I will never own/fly/buy any quad from any company on any planet that allow one stick motor shut down. That is beyond stupid. It is lawsuit waiting to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Oso, if your so sure, why not fly up a few hundred feet then full down on the left stick. Post the telemetry afterward. Lets get to the bottom of this. With your bird of course.
I do it every day and as do most pilots who know their craft. There is no need for me to do it again to prove anything. It is common knowledge in fact, so unfortunately by insisting a left stick down will stop your motors while in flight, you are showing that you don't understand your Phantom and you may be steering new fliers in the wrong direction.

May I respectfully ask that when you learn the truth for yourself that you please come back on the thread to edit your posts with the correct info?

Last edited:
Left stick all the way back does not always cause the motors to stop. Here's a plot showing part of a flight I was doing
upload_2016-5-9_17-19-1.png

The throttle control was moved all the way back (orange line = -10000) but the right front motor speed did not go to 0.

I'm going to speculate that left stick back will cause the motors to stop only if reducing propulsion does not cause the P3 to lose altitude. I.e., it's being hand caught or is resting on the ground.

Bud Walker, this was my understanding as well from all the verbiage I've read on the matter. Had I not witnessed it occur, I would still think the same. I watched someone drop their P3A to full descent and all 4 motors shut off, not once, but twice. 3 seconds of full descent shut the motors off both times. I was the guy dumb enough to volunteer to catch it. I'm not aware of any differences in operating characteristics between the P3A and P3P, nor of any settings that would allow you to manipulate how the motors are shut off. He was using a different app other than the DJIGO but I don't recall which one.

Totally confused now. Initially I thought that bringing the stick down would shut the motors down Irespective of where it is and was corrected to say this would only be the case if landed or caught? Looking forward to a definitive answer

Totally confused now. Initially I thought that bringing the stick down would shut the motors down Irespective of where it is and was corrected to say this would only be the case if landed or caught? Looking forward to a definitive answer

AFAIK, and from what I've experienced, only a CSC will stop the motors in mid air. I have pulled the left stick all the way down multiple times with no issue.

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
Thanks MrGarvey it does seem more sensible to have a command which requires both sticks to be moved at once in a certain position to kill the motors rather than one stick

My two cents here is that pulling all the way down in the left stick alone shouldn't stop the motors in the air. That is not a CSC command. if it happens there is a malfunction somewhere. Even if you catch the bird and try to stop the motors by pulling down the left stick, you have to hold it very steady to stop the motors.

My two cents here is that pulling all the way down in the left stick alone shouldn't stop the motors in the air. That is not a CSC command. if it happens there is a malfunction somewhere. Even if you catch the bird and try to stop the motors by pulling down the left stick, you have to hold it very steady to stop the motors.

This has been my experience as well.

Why would your battery say 70 percent at the start of the flight. If that was the case that was your problem. It indicates 70 percent them under a load it drops to unsafe battery level. DJI says always use a fully charged battery 100%. There has been a lot of post regarding this on this forum. Sorry for your lose.

Bud Walker, this was my understanding as well from all the verbiage I've read on the matter. Had I not witnessed it occur, I would still think the same. I watched someone drop their P3A to full descent and all 4 motors shut off, not once, but twice. 3 seconds of full descent shut the motors off both times. I was the guy dumb enough to volunteer to catch it. I'm not aware of any differences in operating characteristics between the P3A and P3P, nor of any settings that would allow you to manipulate how the motors are shut off. He was using a different app other than the DJIGO but I don't recall which one.
I wasn't there so I'm just guessing. Is it possible that in all the fun and excitement of catching a falling P3 that you were distracted and didn't see what the pilot was doing with the sticks. Sounds like it might have been fun.

Although the camera of my drone is broken, it still reacts to RC commands. When I switch on the drone and hold it over my head, it shows a height of 2 m. I make the following test: I pull down the left stick to the utmost position and move the drone with my hand downwards too. The engine switches off. I don't even try to hold it stable, but move it downwards. Is this a suitable test to see whether one stick can shot down the motor, or is this not very reliable?

Although the camera of my drone is broken, it still reacts to RC commands. When I switch on the drone and hold it over my head, it shows a height of 2 m. I make the following test: I pull down the left stick to the utmost position and move the drone with my hand downwards too. The engine switches off. I don't even try to hold it stable, but move it downwards. Is this a suitable test to see whether one stick can shot down the motor, or is this not very reliable?

The act of you holding it is still exerting pressure on the leg, making the phantom think it has landed.

The act of you holding it is still exerting pressure on the leg, making the phantom think it has landed.
My post was a reaction of phantomi's saying that: "Even if you catch the bird and try to stop the motors by pulling down the left stick, you have to hold it very steady to stop the motors."
So I caught the bird, moved it and still the engine turned off when using the left stick only.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl