TXT, DAT and Litchi

Reaction score
After seeing all kinds of advice over the last two/three years, I purchased an iPadMini specifically for my P3Pro. For the most part, I love it. In truth, I despise iTunes, but that's life.

Lately, I also bought the Litchi app for my iPad and have alternated between building "missions" on either the mission hub (the web site) or on the iPad itself. Consequently, when I do go out and fly, it almost exclusively using Litchi instead of the DJI GO app.

Can I get a .txt file when using Litchi? Can someone either detail how it's done, or steer me to a FAQ or help site?

It looks like I can generate .DAT files - do they get generated regardless of what app and/or device one is using? I'm very fuzzy on how this is all supposed to work.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Litchi saves logs as .csv files, unlike the Go App. Personally I prefer the .csv format.
I too use Litchi much more than Go.

Can I get a .txt file when using Litchi?
No. The TXT files are only generated by DJI GO. I've never seen anyone try to convert their data back to the TXT format.

It looks like I can generate .DAT files - do they get generated regardless of what app and/or device one is using?
DAT files are auto created and stored on the Phantom's internal memory card. It doesn't matter which app you use to fly.

Litchi saves logs as .csv files, unlike the Go App. Personally I prefer the .csv format.

I've had a lot of experience over the years with Excel, so .csv files are no problem - but where are they located? It seems like the only thing I can easily "grab" from my iPad is the cached video from the camera roll.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

No. The TXT files are only generated by DJI GO. I've never seen anyone try to convert their data back to the TXT format.

DAT files are auto created and stored on the Phantom's internal memory card. It doesn't matter which app you use to fly.

Looks like I'll have to refresh my memory! From your response, it looks like I need to enter a specific "mode" and then connect a USB cable to that connector on the front of the Phantom.

Many thanks for your comment and feedback.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

so .csv files are no problem - but where are they located?
In iTunes, click "Apps" in the left menu, click "Litchi" in the Apps list, and save the "flightlogs" folder to your computer.

From your response, it looks like I need to enter a specific "mode" and then connect a USB cable to that connector on the front of the Phantom.
You can find detailed instructions here.

I purchased an iPadMini specifically for my P3Pro. For the most part, I love it. In truth, I despise iTunes, but that's life.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Is it iPad mini 1 , I have mini 1st gen and I have lots of lags, some time the app crashes. If you are using the same then it seems I need to dedicate mine just for the drone and do a reset and remove all the other apps from it.

When you say "logs" is that telemetry and other info vs video?

When you say "logs" is that telemetry and other info vs video?
Yes, .csv files are the Telemetry info in Litchi, as the .txt files are in DJI Go.

Reactions: sonof40
Is it iPad mini 1 , I have mini 1st gen and I have lots of lags, some time the app crashes. If you are using the same then it seems I need to dedicate mine just for the drone and do a reset and remove all the other apps from it.

I have not been super-prolific with mine, but I've been flying more since downloading and playing with Litchi. Even when I was running DJI GO I experienced less problems with the iOS environment than I did with some other Android hardware. I was using my iPad Mini primarily as an e-reader. Then, once I downloaded Litchi, that's all I've been using it for. My iPad doesn't have any phone capability either, so I don't get interruptions while I'm flying!

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Reactions: DrJPB
You can find detailed instructions here.

Thanks to your help and help from msinger (above) I found the files - the iTunes stuff was a tad bit problematic - I'm not too conversant on how that stuff works, but got there eventually!

The files to download and "process" the .csv files from Litchi is telling me I need 64-bit Java. My system works so well now - I would hate to install something new and have everything go to hell in a breadbasket!

Can I assume (as far as you know!?) that I'll be safe downloading and installing 64-bit Java?

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Thanks to your help and help from msinger (above) I found the files - the iTunes stuff was a tad bit problematic - I'm not too conversant on how that stuff works, but got there eventually!

The files to download and "process" the .csv files from Litchi is telling me I need 64-bit Java. My system works so well now - I would hate to install something new and have everything go to hell in a breadbasket!

Can I assume (as far as you know!?) that I'll be safe downloading and installing 64-bit Java?

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
Although you referenced @msinger 's pointer to the .DAT file retrieval instructions it seems you now have the .csv generated by Litchi. Further, I'm supposing the 64-bit Java question comes from trying to use CsvView to view the .csv generated by Litchi. Am I right, so far?:)

Usually, the upgrade to a 64-bit Java goes smoothly.

Although you referenced @msinger 's pointer to the .DAT file retrieval instructions it seems you now have the .csv generated by Litchi. Further, I'm supposing the 64-bit Java question comes from trying to use CsvView to view the .csv generated by Litchi. Am I right, so far?:)

Usually, the upgrade to a 64-bit Java goes smoothly.

You were 100% correct. I won't comment on the fact you slammed me for being stupid! (just kidding)
I find it often too easy to get lost in some of these threads - I think I'm answering Sam, but it should have been Pete and then Fred points it out to me. LOL

*Somebody* posted where to find my Litchi App data (what Litchi calls "flightlogs") and I found the .csv files in the flightlog folder. Then, yes, someone else posted a web site that displays software and instructions for using the csv files. Once I downloaded the zip file and looked at the directions, that's where I was informed I needed to download and install the 64-bit version of JAVA.

Every time I think I'm gaining ground (i.e., understanding all this a little better) I tend to discover that I'm just getting more dangerous!

Working with Litchi, I've discovered it's handy to keep the manual close by (including some YouTube tutorials) and also incredible to be able to record the screen (without external software). Seeing the position of the Phantom, the angle of the gimbal and the direction the Phantom is pointed have all been valuable tools to learn what's going on and how to most effectively use it.

Thanks again for your help and comment.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

You were 100% correct. I won't comment on the fact you slammed me for being stupid! (just kidding)
I find it often too easy to get lost in some of these threads - I think I'm answering Sam, but it should have been Pete and then Fred points it out to me. LOL

*Somebody* posted where to find my Litchi App data (what Litchi calls "flightlogs") and I found the .csv files in the flightlog folder. Then, yes, someone else posted a web site that displays software and instructions for using the csv files. Once I downloaded the zip file and looked at the directions, that's where I was informed I needed to download and install the 64-bit version of JAVA.

Every time I think I'm gaining ground (i.e., understanding all this a little better) I tend to discover that I'm just getting more dangerous!

Working with Litchi, I've discovered it's handy to keep the manual close by (including some YouTube tutorials) and also incredible to be able to record the screen (without external software). Seeing the position of the Phantom, the angle of the gimbal and the direction the Phantom is pointed have all been valuable tools to learn what's going on and how to most effectively use it.

Thanks again for your help and comment.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
Mostly, I was hoping to not look stupid if you weren't trying to use my software. It might help if you could describe what you're wanting to do.

Mostly, I was hoping to not look stupid if you weren't trying to use my software. It might help if you could describe what you're wanting to do.

Many months ago I had learned to extract the .DAT files and how and where to upload them for flight analysis. Then I stopped using an Android device and went to an iPadMini4 *and* started using Litchi. So the file manipulation changed significantly.

I'm just seeking the ability to analyze a flight (particularly where one went south!) by loading raw data in a program and having automatic analysis tell me either where something broke or I screwed up!

I had forgotten that PhantomHelp.com had a file viewer for the csv data. I also wanted the ability to do this analysis offline and was attempting to get all the software - where I discovered that I need the more heavy duty version of Java to use said software.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Hope I am in the right place to post this question.
I am trying to use flight logs to populate my pilot log book. I am building an Excel spreadsheet with the flight logs and then using access to acquire the appropriate fields for a pilot log. most of the fields can be calculated out of the fields is currently extract but there are few that don't exist. Not sure what type of data it is collected from the satellite data stream.
Is there any field in the DAT file that has:
1. the current date?
2. aircraft serial number?
3. Time of day, or Julian date?

Craig - N1255
Ventnor, NJ

Hope I am in the right place to post this question.
I am trying to use flight logs to populate my pilot log book. I am building an Excel spreadsheet with the flight logs and then using access to acquire the appropriate fields for a pilot log. most of the fields can be calculated out of the fields is currently extract but there are few that don't exist. Not sure what type of data it is collected from the satellite data stream.
Is there any field in the DAT file that has:
1. the current date?
2. aircraft serial number?
3. Time of day, or Julian date?

Craig - N1255
Ventnor, NJ
The current version of DatCon is unable to retrieve the dateTime of a P3 flight. That info probably exists somewhere in the .DAT. A lot of effort has been put in to locate it but has been unsuccessful. The MC serial number can be seen in the configLog stream. I.e. it doesn't get recorded in the .csv.

These values are extracted for .DAT version 3 logs which includes P4, P4Pro, Mavic, Inspire 2, Matrrice, etrc.

I gotta ask why aren't you using the .txt file to get these values?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.