toggle between gps and ATTI modes during flight

Reaction score
If I take off in gps mode, fly around a little then switch to atti mode... if I get in trouble and switch back does it go straight into GPS mode or does it need to re lock onto satellites?

If I take off in gps mode, fly around a little then switch to atti mode... if I get in trouble and switch back does it go straight into GPS mode or does it need to re lock onto satellites?
It should go right back, assuming you previously had good sat signals. RTH will also work in a manual switch ATTI scenario.

It should go right back, assuming you previously had good sat signals. RTH will also work in a manual switch ATTI scenario.

Exactly .... just because you choose to switch to ATTI does not mean the model stops reading sats. As FD says - manually selected ATTI still allows full RTH ...

Its actually a good practice to try ATTI mode at times ... to actually fly the model yourself instead of just 'interrupting' autonomous flight as in P-GPS ...

Reactions: Fell Wanderer
Cool.. thanks guys, I guess Attu mode is what I want to try and fly with as it’s more “me” flying it rather than depending on the gps

Reactions: Harleydude
Its good practice ... BUT take note ...

You will drift ... you will find it will carry on in a direction after you stop directing it ...

Wind will cause leeway - so you need to fly 'crabbed' to get in desired direction ...

But it is good practice as you don't know when you will need that capability

You must know that If the craft is at substantial distance (few 100 m) when you see it just as a spot it is actually impossible to notice its drifting. So it can go into quite different direction you are supposing to. Begin doing that when the bird is pretty close to you (less than 50 m) and do it at an altitude above obstacles around. The wind also increases with altitude so the craft can drifts without any stick inputs.
If you like flying the ATTI mode is much more fun. It only maintain altitude all the rest is on your manual inputs.
And yes - it remains satellites locked only ignores the data.

Video captures while drifting with the wind are interesting to me. While drifting, you can yaw the craft in any direction to capture a POI as the wind takes you in it's direction. All you have to do is ensure you are above all objects, in the direction you're drifting. I will often switch to ATTI just to measure the wind speed and direction, just so I know what I'm up against. I find ATTI so necessary that I have converted my Mavic2Z Sport mode setting into ATTI mode. I find it more useful than going fast, which wastes battery time.

While drifting, you can yaw the craft in any direction to capture a POI as the wind takes you in it's direction.
This can be achieved with course lock mode too; if your aircraft supports it.

I think the term you're looking for is "re-acquire." No, it does not. Your bird will instantly lock on its location as soon as you flip the switch.

FWIW, I fly in ATTI mode all the time.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

D

This can be achieved with course lock mode too; if your aircraft supports it.
Yes, and TAP FLY FREE MODE does that too, if your craft supports it. Fly any straight direction regardless of wind, yaw the craft and camera at will while maintaining a constant straight flight course.

Last edited:
By the barometer as it do otherwise.
I wasn’t clear. What I meant is when I specify a path from here to there, how to I specify the altitude profile to fly? Or does it just fly at whatever altitude you started at.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31