The PD checked my FAA numbers on my Drone !

I have mine, but I still think the whole thing is a crock. Do RC planes and helicopters need this?

It's important to realize that sUAS are not JUST multirotors. Everything we are discussing here pertains to RC Planes, Heli, Blimps, MultiRotors, GyroPlanes . . . . .

We need to understand this is not JUST a Quad, Hex,OcotoRotor situation.

I don't know if putting paper in a hot battery compartment is a great idea. You can always write it on the outside with the Sharpie. I also think the FAA requires you to have it on the outside. Because there's a little sticker on the inside that gives you the registration serial number that's just transferred to the outside.

My compartment never gets that hot...Certainly nowhere near enough to catch a tiny piece of paper on fire. And as mentioned, not required on outside.

It's important to realize that sUAS are not JUST multirotors. Everything we are discussing here pertains to RC Planes, Heli, Blimps, MultiRotors, GyroPlanes . . . . .

We need to understand this is not JUST a Quad, Hex,OcotoRotor situation.
So are you saying that ALL RC flying machines are required to get the license?

Yes. Back in effect as of late 2017. As for the rest of the comments, while I completely understand...I don’t get precedent in this example...No laws were broken, no reckless behavior, nothing. Yet he forced a law abiding citizen to land and “produce his papers” without any provocation. I am playing devil’s advocate here. Not really arguing, just trying to understand what makes drone searches any different that an automobile from a legal search standpoint.
I believe he was "asked" to land the drone and complied. The real question is what if he hadn't complied.
It would be pretty easy to say he was flying in a reckless and dangerous manner.

I believe he was "asked" to land the drone and complied. The real question is what if he hadn't complied.
It would be pretty easy to say he was flying in a reckless and dangerous manner.

Pretty easy to say anything I suppose since there is no precedent for a LEO to judge such a thing. Taking off too fast (what’s too fast), flying erratically (what does that mean?), etc. etc...

I can't locate anything about that in regards to Hobby/101 but I'll keep looking.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't recall the "Special Rules" exclusion about showing it to LEA but apparently it does exclude Prt 101 from having to show it.

Taken from the FAA website:
Do I always have to have my Certificate of Aircraft Registration with me while flying my UAS?
Yes. You must have the FAA registration certificate in your possession when operating an unmanned aircraft. The certificate can be available either on paper or electronically.

If another person operates your UAS, they must have the UAS registration certificate in their possession. You can give them a paper copy or email a copy to them.

Federal law requires UAS operators who are required to register (those not flying exclusively under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft) to show the certificate of registration to any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer if asked. You can show it electronically or show the printed certificate.
Thanks Al, I did see that, and it's nice that an electronic version is acceptable.

But a web page does not a law or regulation make. ;-)

I'd like to see where that's codified for hobby operators, if indeed anyplace. Maybe this does boil down to confusion between and/or erroneous conflation of Part 101 and Part 107 operation. And I really don't appreciate law enforcement being given deceptive and over-reaching procedures. There's already enough abuse of our rights in this country.

Perhaps the AMA needs to get involved in this.

{cough}BOOTSTRAPPING

The unfortunate reality is that law enforcement can pretty much do as they please. It's up to you to bend over and take it, or subsequently lawyer up and fight it. :-(

Reactions: AndrewCCM
So are you saying that ALL RC flying machines are required to get the license?

It's called a Registration and if it weighs between .55lbs (250grams) and 55lbs (25Kg) and flown in the US National Airspace System it is law that it be registered.

Getting Started

Here's my 2-cents on the topic.. take it for what you paid for it:

If you're flying at a "Sanctioned" AMA flying field, flying 100% within AMA Safety Code, and you've been proven as a proficient and safe RC operator I would rather not see any new laws/regulations required. But anyone and EVERYONE else it should be required and I'd like to see some form of "certification" required to demonstrate you can actually fly the aircraft in a safe and controlled manner.

If you're big boy enough to fly your aircraft in the NAS I think you're big boy enough to be required to follow the laws that all other airmen are flying by and have been doing so for decades. I look forward to the day that Congress strikes down their Special Rule for Model Aircraft mistake and opens the whole industry up to the FAA. The mere fact that the AMA lobbied and Congress gave in to the $$ should worry each and every one of us.

The writing is on the wall and it can't happen soon enough IMHO.

I labeled mines with the Brother tape maker at work. One on the top of the Drone and one on the controller. I also keep the card in the case. And if i am within 5 miles i send notification via the Airmap tool.

Best to keep it legit so people dont lose Drone privileges in thr future.

My compartment never gets that hot...Certainly nowhere near enough to catch a tiny piece of paper on fire. And as mentioned, not required on outside.
I just labeled all my batteries. That way, the number is inside but not on a piece of paper or sticker or what have you. It's on all batteries, so regardless of which one I use, the number is in the craft.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
A few days ago while i was at a nice local public park that i fly from quite often and....i had just took off and was only about 50 feet out and climbing when the local police stopped and asked me to land as they wanted to verify that i had my FAA numbers on the drone....I promptly brought it back landed and shut it down and we walked to it and i held it up and showed him my FAA numbers ...also on the numbers was the date i got them and the expiration date too...He then thanked me and told to have a nice flight.....any body else been challenged like i was ? I'm sure glad that the drone had the FAA numbers...Not sure what would have took place IF i didn't after all its a Federal Law ! Soooooooo all you guys that dont have your FFA numbers its time that you spent $5.00 and got them !

FAADroneZone
It still seem like something that can be randomly enforced. Happily, the only cops I've dealt with while flying were just interested in what I was doing and in the copter as a cool toy. But you get a different personality or mood, and then he can give you a hard time... I just don't like it.

I labeled mines with the Brother tape maker at work. One on the top of the Drone and one on the controller. I also keep the card in the case. And if i am within 5 miles i send notification via the Airmap tool.

Best to keep it legit so people dont lose Drone privileges in thr future.

I’ve found that most every airport around me doesn’t seem to take AirMap submission. Maybe I am doing something wrong..

Can you explain where you “submit from AirMap? All I see in my iOS app is “submit” flight plan, but I didn’t think that actually notified anyone... or does it. If so, I feel like an idiot.

Just noticed AirMap for IOS was updated today.

00785e4484f462d5fd401910c6c94827.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve found that most every airport around me doesn’t seem to take AirMap submission. Maybe I am doing something wrong..

How do you know which do not take D-NAS when Click on Submit it sends it. But curious to what that really means behind the scenes. I live in Class B air space so i do the Airmap routine before every flight just to be safe.

How do you know which do not take D-NAS when Click on Submit it sends it. But curious to what that really means behind the scenes. I live in Class B air space so i do the Airmap routine before every flight just to be safe.

I live just out of DFW range but in Arlington Municipal range. Also, I notice with the update, it states to notify helipads too. If that’s the case, I might as well just give up. Everywhere I think to fly has at least 5-10 helipads in the area (it seems) not to mention the airports. Geez.

I was under the impression that AirMap was for your own flight plans (i.e., saved to your app..). Not for automated digital notification.

I live just out of DFW range but in Arlington Municipal range. Also, I notice with the update, it states to notify helipads too. If that’s the case, I might as well just give up. Everywhere I think to fly has at least 5-10 helipads in the area (it seems) not to mention the airports. Geez.

I was under the impression that AirMap was for your own flight plans (i.e., saved to your app..). Not for automated digital notification.

I live near a few helipads. but requirments are to notify so not sure why the issue? You do want to D-NAS to stay within compliance if your in an area that requires the prior notification due to airspace concerns.

I live near a few helipads. but requirments are to notify so not sure why the issue? You do want to D-NAS to stay within compliance if your in an area that requires the prior notification due to airspace concerns.

I get that. I just don’t want to have to notify 10 different places every time I want to go fly my drone around my backyard at 20ft. It’s embarrassing and a hassle to make all of those calls for such a thing.

I get that. I just don’t want to have to notify 10 different places every time I want to go fly my drone around my backyard at 20ft. It’s embarrassing and a hassle to make all of those calls for such a thing.

Just saw this on their website... Apparently, none around me accept D-NAS... as I never see “Accepts Digital Notice” on my AirMap Flight submissions..

”Is creating a flight the same as submitting Digital Notice?

Creating a flight in the AirMap application is not the same as submitting Digital Notice to an airport. This is because digital notice may not be the preferred method of contact for certain airports. Submitting Digital Notice when appropriate, while encouraged, is not always required. Airspace near airports that utilize D-NAS will show a "Accepts Digital Notice" Under the Airport name in the AirMap mobile application. “

Reactions: charlieb4

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl