The PD checked my FAA numbers on my Drone !

He can't with absolute specificity, the term used is 'affixed to the aircraft' (I suppose you could create a flying battery :p).
I respect his opinions but seems he is more interested in word play and creative interpretations as well as testing civil rights through civil disobedience.
You can do and act as he says but you'll possibly just find yourself in a situation that could have been easily avoided.

The FAA/LEO guidelines states that LEOs are to request aircraft registration certificate (physically/paper or electronically/mobile device) and verify markings on the aircraft. I suppose marking on the battery would suffice for some LEOs but should an incident occur I suspect this will result in a point of non-compliance. The aforementioned guidelines:
https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/law_enforcement/media/LEO_guidance_card.pdf

Additionally, this makes me scratch my head when another poster equated this document examination to 'surrendering' you registration of which you can just print as many as you want.
Nowhere does it state that the LEO has a right to verify the markings on the aircraft. Those are two separate parts, and the request is limited to the registration certificate. The aircraft markings, if not in plain sight (and they are not required to be), are not explicitly stated as a requestable verification. Without your consent, a warrant would be required to view them, if inside the aircraft. The whole point of the registration number within the aircraft is to identify the pilot if you are not there to provide it in person. Once you have shown your certificate in the presence of your aircraft, no further inquiry is necessary, and no further action is required on your part. The number covers all aircraft you are flying as a hobbyist. :cool:

You know I came on this board to learn new and exciting things. All I’ve learned so far is how anti-police most of you are. To be honest, most of you spewing I know my rights don’t really know much if anything at all. I appreciate the learning experience but I think I will move on. While some of you are on track and have a understanding of what to do in a police encounter, others are very far off base, and you wonder why the encounter is not always cordial or you end up in trouble. Lack of accepting responsibility and always blaming others is the new trend. As well as not respecting laws, rules, and regulations.
I have seen people brag about violating all of the above as well as post videos or links to videos of their wrong doing on this site while others attempted to verbally correct the wrong doing only to get told, oh it wasn’t so bad, I only did it for a few minutes. Its not a big deal. Your total lack of respect for any law that you don’t feel you should follow is always somebody elses problem. “I’m gonna do what I want to do.” Then your called on it, and now its the Officers who are in the wrong since the are so uninformed or whatever other negative moniker you want to add to their title.
A friendly piece of advice, most of you anti-police advocates really need to learn the law before you get somebody in lots of trouble with your bad advice.
Not saying the OP was not giving full disclosure on his first post but he gives part of the story up front and later on says the officer was asking all sorts of questions which gives the impression the officer was more curious about the drone and learning things than harassing as what may have been the initial impression. Which to me attempted to make the officer to appear to over step his authority.
Officers can talk to whoever they want, whenever they want (they are human) without a warrant. A warrant is not needed to start a conversation. It is your choice at that point on how to proceed.
I am far from an anti-police advocate! I am merely pointing out that the LEO card does not require you to submit your drone to an interior examination, nor to hand over the drone, once you have produced a copy of your registration number. However, it's best to never to argue with a man with a badge and a gun! If you simply verbally refuse consent to the search and examination of your drone, you have done all that you can. If they then seize it and examine it anyway without a warrant, it becomes an illegal search. Any evidence obtained during the illegal search is inadmissible. Do not argue with any LEO! YMMV. :cool:

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Gadget, Don’t you know that you’re not supposed to actually read the “law” instead of relying on people‘s interpretations on a hobbyist website? Come on man, you know better than that

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Nowhere does it state that the LEO has a right to verify the markings on the aircraft. Those are two separate parts, and the request is limited to the registration certificate. The aircraft markings, if not in plain sight (and they are not required to be), are not explicitly stated as a requestable verification. Without your consent, a warrant would be required to view them, if inside the aircraft. The whole point of the registration number within the aircraft is to identify the pilot if you are not there to provide it in person. Once you have shown your certificate in the presence of your aircraft, no further inquiry is necessary, and no further action is required on your part. The number covers all aircraft you are flying as a hobbyist. :cool:

Not going to engage your further on this topic.

It’s clearly stated in the FAA-LEO guidance linked for your convenience.

Reactions: O6-Hammerhead
A few days ago while i was at a nice local public park that i fly from quite often and....i had just took off and was only about 50 feet out and climbing when the local police stopped and asked me to land as they wanted to verify that i had my FAA numbers on the drone....I promptly brought it back landed and shut it down and we walked to it and i held it up and showed him my FAA numbers ...also on the numbers was the date i got them and the expiration date too...He then thanked me and told to have a nice flight.....any body else been challenged like i was ? I'm sure glad that the drone had the FAA numbers...Not sure what would have took place IF i didn't after all its a Federal Law ! Soooooooo all you guys that dont have your FFA numbers its time that you spent $5.00 and got them !

FAADroneZone
Which state are you in cos in GA we are not allowed to fly in county parks

Not going to engage your further on this topic.

It’s clearly stated in the FAA-LEO guidance linked for your convenience.
It's not clear at all! Any conclusions about its clarity that you wish to derive to support your interpretation (and that's all it is, on either side!) are based upon your further assumptions, which are not part of any definitions included in the guidance, which is only a Guidance and not a law. Do you really think anyone would ever be prosecuted for putting their number on the battery inside the aircraft? "by any means necessary" The battery is inside the battery compartment of the aircraft for the duration of each operation, and the marking remains affixed to the battery which is affixed to the aircraft. QED.

"The unique identifier must be affixed to the small unmanned aircraft by any means necessary to ensure that it will remain affixed for the duration of each operation."

Come on now gang. This "banter" isn't going anywhere.

The "Guidance" is for LEA but we are bound by the fine print of Registration to provide our paperwork and aircraft to LEA upon request. LEA can board an aircraft and do a "Ramp Check" at any point without a search warrant.

Reactions: O6-Hammerhead
Come on now gang. This "banter" isn't going anywhere.

The "Guidance" is for LEA but we are bound by the fine print of Registration to provide our paperwork and aircraft to LEA upon request. LEA can board an aircraft and do a "Ramp Check" at any point without a search warrant.
With all due respect, just to be clear, where does the fine print of Registration by hobbyists say we are to provide our aircraft to LEO's upon request? :confused:

With all due respect, just to be clear, where does the fine print of Registration by hobbyists say we are to provide our aircraft to LEO's upon request? :confused:
Or the certificate, for that matter?

Nothing on my certificate says I need to carry it while flying. What have I missed?

Print it out and put it in your battery compartment...
I don't know if putting paper in a hot battery compartment is a great idea. You can always write it on the outside with the Sharpie. I also think the FAA requires you to have it on the outside. Because there's a little sticker on the inside that gives you the registration serial number that's just transferred to the outside.

... I also think the FAA requires you to have it on the outside. ....
Sir, it's a good idea to read at least some of the thread before posting...

Anyway, I've had mine inside the battery compartment for over two years. It's printed with my desktop ink jet printer and then cut to size and stuck to a piece of clear tape and then stuck onto the interior starboard bulkhead. Other than a minor concern that the vent on that side is partially blocked, there have been no issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndrewCCM
My yellow vest has my registration number clearly shown on the front and back. For me to acknowledge the LEO I would have to visually ID him or her. That would require me to take my eyes off the object I am flying. Therefore, my initial response to the person would be, "you will have to wait until I land so that I may acknowledge you are who you say you are" then state to them for me to take my eyes off the object would be breaking FAA rules.
I really like this idea and am going to add my reg number to my harness.

Reactions: Spazz_MMCF
I really like this idea and am going to add my reg number to my harness.
Even though it's redundant... I like it... they can verify once I land...

Also... wouldn't putting the FAA number on your RC work for that as well? Just a thought...

Seriously... Where in Part 101 and/or where on the hobbyist SUAS "Certificate of Registration / recognition of ownership" is it stated that the pilot must be in possession of (and display to LE on demand) that registration paperwork?

As a sidebar, a substantially less important question but curious nonetheless, why would that form merely be a "recognition of ownership" for non-citizens?

Seriously... Where in Part 101 and/or where on the hobbyist SUAS "Certificate of Registration / recognition of ownership" is it stated that the pilot must be in possession of (and display to LE on demand) that registration paperwork?

As a sidebar, a substantially less important question but curious nonetheless, why would that form merely be a "recognition of ownership" for non-citizens?
Nowhere. It doesn't have to be. The President signed the registration requirement into law last month. By having the model aircraft registration on your person, it proves you are intending to fly for fun under Sec 336. Otherwise, you'd be flying under Part 107 in which case you'd need a 107 certification.

A few days ago while i was at a nice local public park that i fly from quite often and....i had just took off and was only about 50 feet out and climbing when the local police stopped and asked me to land as they wanted to verify that i had my FAA numbers on the drone....I promptly brought it back landed and shut it down and we walked to it and i held it up and showed him my FAA numbers ...also on the numbers was the date i got them and the expiration date too...He then thanked me and told to have a nice flight.....any body else been challenged like i was ? I'm sure glad that the drone had the FAA numbers...Not sure what would have took place IF i didn't after all its a Federal Law ! Soooooooo all you guys that dont have your FFA numbers its time that you spent $5.00 and got them !

FAADroneZone
I have mine, but I still think the whole thing is a crock. Do RC planes and helicopters need this?

I can't locate anything about that in regards to Hobby/101 but I'll keep looking.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't recall the "Special Rules" exclusion about showing it to LEA but apparently it does exclude Prt 101 from having to show it.
Or the certificate, for that matter?

Nothing on my certificate says I need to carry it while flying. What have I missed?

Taken from the FAA website:
Do I always have to have my Certificate of Aircraft Registration with me while flying my UAS?
Yes. You must have the FAA registration certificate in your possession when operating an unmanned aircraft. The certificate can be available either on paper or electronically.

If another person operates your UAS, they must have the UAS registration certificate in their possession. You can give them a paper copy or email a copy to them.

Federal law requires UAS operators who are required to register (those not flying exclusively under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft) to show the certificate of registration to any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer if asked. You can show it electronically or show the printed certificate.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT