Taking the next step ( mods galore ) update 3/25/15!

You are correct, I am using the stock white dampers, perhaps I will switch to the ones that came with the gimbal and see if the helps. As for the extra weight, they don't seem to have an issue with that. I will say though that whatever is causing this seems to be related to the gimbal controller as I have observed just hovering, I can clearly see the gimbal jitter ("slight irregular movement, variation, or unsteadiness, especially in an electrical signal or electronic device") even though the aircraft is in a stable hover.

Side note, I had not been able to successfully do a compass calibration due to the gimbal going bonkers in the second step where you point the nose down. Then I realized I could disconnect the gimbal's power (leaving the camera connected) and was able to to the calibration. I had hoped that was the issue, but after flying yesterday afternoon, that was not the case as there was no change.

I was able to verify my props are balanced using a fiberglass rod I found that fits the inside of the prop perfectly, so that isn't the issue either.

I also tried to do some attitude mode flying rather than GPS thinking that would make a difference, again, no luck.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything, but I will say at this point, I am not optimistic.
Funny thing you answer today. Earlier today I exchanged the black dampers for the white ones from the stock gimbal and tried a flight. Mainly curiosity... BUT, what I found was that the CNC gimbal and white dampers are ABSOLUTELY incompatible... I will try to post some footage from that test, but the entire craft shook and danced like a drunk monkey. Nearly took it from the sky, that's how bad it was. When I get a chance I will edit this post and add it.

I know your bird isn't THAT bad, but you may want to try the firmer, black dampers and see if it makes a difference.

My balancing rod did come in, and as suspected the blades were slightly off.But not bad. And after balancing and another flight it is still twitching slightly. I will try to get even firmer dampers. Does anyone know of where I could find a good source?

So, no fix as of yet. But still working on it.

So long.

Funny thing you answer today. Earlier today I exchanged the black dampers for the white ones from the stock gimbal and tried a flight. Mainly curiosity... BUT, what I found was that the CNC gimbal and white dampers are ABSOLUTELY incompatible... I will try to post some footage from that test, but the entire craft shook and danced like a drunk monkey. Nearly took it from the sky, that's how bad it was. When I get a chance I will edit this post and add it.

I know your bird isn't THAT bad, but you may want to try the firmer, black dampers and see if it makes a difference.

My balancing rod did come in, and as suspected the blades were slightly off.But not bad. And after balancing and another flight it is still twitching slightly. I will try to get even firmer dampers. Does anyone know of where I could find a good source?

So long.

Well, made the switch back the original dampers and while it didn't clear it up 100%, there is a very noticeable improvement!

Seeing this, I would tend to agree with you that perhaps even stiffer dampers could improve it even more. Realizing there has to be some type of shock absorbing, I do believe that you my friend could be onto something indeed!

I'll do some research to see what I can find! In the mean time, thanks for this excellent tip!

Phil

I seen in the RPG thread where some have put the foam throw away ear plugs in them to make them more staple .

Reactions: Intruder101
I need to try that... Tomorrow... Thanks, Buddy!
I will have to put a hole through those to try as the RPG has that locking screw that ya adjust but just saw your post and thought about it . I can't find the black one's ether and know I saw them somewhere ! I wanted to try them with mine .

Well wish I hadn't seen one years ago! The kit has 3 of em and one has a red handle with a big blade. Was cutting some
fiber board across the gran and when I got to the grain I didn't stop with the pressure and stabbed myself above my thumb :eek:The red mark is where it went in and the black lines is where they did surgery to put that tendon back together I cut in to ! Duh
View attachment 23715 The little one is the right size though to fit inside the prop to balance with .:D
Ouch!:confused:

Reactions: dirkclod
Well guys, I was able to finally get some relatively stable video, still not rock solid but better than it had been. That being said, I was never happy with the quality of the camera itself. A poor first attempt on DJI's getting into the camera market after relations broke off with GoPro. I should have been a little more patient and done a little more research before I decided to take the plunge into this arena.

As it turns out, my sons bought me a GoPro Hero 4 Silver for Father's Day, after I already had the Vision. When I found out that DJI didn't support the idea of changing out the Vision camera for a Zenmuse gimbal (and I believe that is because there is more in the "egg" than the camera) I began looking at alternatives. As luck would have it, since the P3's arrival, P2 (non Vision +) prices have been coming down. So, I wound up purchasing a P2, V2.0 Bundle, 3-Axis Zenmuse H4-3D Gimbal from Amazon for less than what I paid for the Vision and now have a platform for my GoPro. Note this is the V2.0 with upgraded motors, propellers, and the new remote control transmitter that has a rechargeable battery and gimbal tilt control built in! Sweet!

I had briefly dabbled in the idea of building a Quad about a year and a half ago and had purchased some of the various things needed for FPV. Mind you, I liked the fact that there is the Vision App for my iPhone of which the one thing I will miss is the ability to start/stop video, snap photos etc... In lieu of that though, I did buy the iOSD Mini which I installed along with a 5.8 GHz, 600 mw Tx/Rx setup before the first flight! Below is the result (2nd flight mind you and I have ordered a polarizing filter for the GoPro, so it will get better).

Hopefully, we can still be friends? :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Duke and dirkclod
Know anyone interested in buying a very slightly used (10 flights) P2V with an installed and working China Gimbal? :)

Naaa we all brothers in here and good luck with your new venture !!! List ya other in classifieds if ya want to sell it ......ya never know !! :D

Holy Crap Batman! :eek: WoW I think you have just about covered it all. I have bookmarked this thread So's if I have some jingle in my pocket and want to spend some money I can come back here and look what I want to spend it on. :D Very nicely done! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Phil Sutphin
Holy Crap Batman! :eek: WoW I think you have just about covered it all. I have bookmarked this thread So's if I have some jingle in my pocket and want to spend some money I can come back here and look what I want to spend it on. :D Very nicely done! :rolleyes:
Thanks @Duke !

Reactions: Duke
Reactions: Phil Sutphin
Well guys, I was able to finally get some relatively stable video, still not rock solid but better than it had been. That being said, I was never happy with the quality of the camera itself. A poor first attempt on DJI's getting into the camera market after relations broke off with GoPro. I should have been a little more patient and done a little more research before I decided to take the plunge into this arena.

As it turns out, my sons bought me a GoPro Hero 4 Silver for Father's Day, after I already had the Vision. When I found out that DJI didn't support the idea of changing out the Vision camera for a Zenmuse gimbal (and I believe that is because there is more in the "egg" than the camera) I began looking at alternatives. As luck would have it, since the P3's arrival, P2 (non Vision +) prices have been coming down. So, I wound up purchasing a P2, V2.0 Bundle, 3-Axis Zenmuse H4-3D Gimbal from Amazon for less than what I paid for the Vision and now have a platform for my GoPro. Note this is the V2.0 with upgraded motors, propellers, and the new remote control transmitter that has a rechargeable battery and gimbal tilt control built in! Sweet!

I had briefly dabbled in the idea of building a Quad about a year and a half ago and had purchased some of the various things needed for FPV. Mind you, I liked the fact that there is the Vision App for my iPhone of which the one thing I will miss is the ability to start/stop video, snap photos etc... In lieu of that though, I did buy the iOSD Mini which I installed along with a 5.8 GHz, 600 mw Tx/Rx setup before the first flight! Below is the result (2nd flight mind you and I have ordered a polarizing filter for the GoPro, so it will get better).

Hopefully, we can still be friends? :)

Hey Phil,

that video is smooth as glass. Nice. Kind of reminds me in the first few flights with the china gimbal. I am still figuring out how to smoothen mine out again. Lately been super busy with the house on the market and preparing for military orders to move. No idea what they have in mind for me, but prparation is key...

New props AND balance seemed to help. Still need to stiffen the dampers. I believe I have changed my gains a little bit, So I will reset them to the best of what I remember they were.

I am glad you are growing in the drone world and finding the craft that speaks to you. I believe the brand ( and some fanatics will roll their eyes right now at me, stop it! :D) is secondary. DJI Phantom is one, there are many other models and many other brands. Ya need to find the one that suits you. This happen to be the one we on this board all started with. Most will stick to it, others will seek growth like you, others will double up on different crafts (right @Clampit , @J Dot ?? :D) others will stick as close to the P2V as possible until they are forced to change (@dirkclod ;) ) Eventually we all will develop. But thenothers will becaome or start out as moderators (@gunslinger @Meta4 :D:cool:;) => thanks guys!)

Just thinking that I am jumping ship from Team Vision? :rolleyes:

Nah, Like I said, we're a community and greatly appreciate the time you were on, will wait for you to visit more often. Don't start being a stranger. Let us know how the adventures are coming.

And all this from a newbie, sorry for the soap box, I'll step off now :oops:

So long.

All,

so, as promised, here is the video from when I exchanged the black dampers that came with the china gimbal for the DJI original dampers. HORRIBLE! :eek:Take a look:

@jumper does this look familiar? It violently shook the craft and it almost got hard to control. I know you are over that issue, but stuff like that doesn't ever completely leave us.;)

Went back to original, and will experiment more to get rid of the jitters I have developed, which is much more minor in nature. But I blame the combination of warmer weather and the damper material...o_O

Once I get time and figure something out, I will post again.

See ya all later.

Reactions: dirkclod

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.