Sudden battery failure

Reaction score
Started a flight with battery fully charged. After about 2 minutes flying, the "battery critically low" warning sounded. Went into "return to home" mode but instead of flying to above the takeoff point before landing, the bird descended right where it was, encountering trees with catastrophic results. The battery is less than a year old and has been used lightly. Any way of knowing why it failed in this way? Thanks.

Depending on the firmware on your battery, it may not have the latest self-discharge routine. The newer firmware has the battery discharge to about 50% after 48 hours (IIRC). The idea is to prevent users from storing FULL batteries - something that will drastically shorten the battery life.

I didn't know that storing them full was bad, and about 8 months in, one swelled, and did exactly what you described. I contacted DJI, who said the battery warranty is 90 days (or maybe 6 months, I don't remember) - but I was on my own.

FWIW, you can buy this third-party battery from Banggood. It's less than half the cost, and has an awesome OLED display that provides all sorts of practical info (time remaining till empty, total flight time, voltage per cell, how many charge cycles, percent of battery health, and while charging, temperature, time remaining till full, current and voltage, etc). I got a solid 20 min flight time on the very first flight with it.

I don't know if this battery has the self-discharge firmware, but with the display it's easy to verify the status.

I dont have any bats that are over six months old and half of them do that. You got to pay attention when your app starts flashing red you'll notice it's starting to autoland that's to prevent your Bird from crashing! a lot of times it happens when you're in Atti mode & going full throttle and if you back off just a little bit it'll quit but best thing to do is just push up on the throttle and take it to a safe landing place. Unfortunately these batteries don't have as long of life as we'd like!

Depending on the firmware on your battery, it may not have the latest self-discharge routine. The newer firmware has the battery discharge to about 50% after 48 hours (IIRC). The idea is to prevent users from storing FULL batteries - something that will drastically shorten the battery life.

better word may be MAY....

why not tell more history?

- did you fully charge before all flights?
- how low did you run them on all flights?
- did you immediately charge them right after all flights? if not, how long after?
- did you store hem fully charged?
- what is your firmware on it?
- where did you store it?
- how many charge cycles on it?
- can you post assistant picture of it?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj