Solving a Class E-SFC Rubik's Cube...

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I have a puzzle on my hands.
I am getting ready to apply for a 107.41 waiver, (s) to fly in my local Class E-SFC airspace. (For commercial aerial photography)

It’s a tricky one! Ukiah, CA is a very, very small town and our airport (KUKI) is centrally located within that small town.

I would love to find a way to blanket the whole enchilada with just one waiver if it were possible. My gut tells me I may have to file several waivers.

grid1.PNG

The E-surface boundary makes a large, lovely footprint over the entire valley. The center is the most important to me, and where the puzzle lies.

grid3.png

Here is a closer shot of downtown and the airport. (There is also a helipad at the local hospital.) I would like to be able to fly 30-50 ft AGL in the areas closest to the airport. (There are nearby trees about that high)

grid5.png

Ok. I understand that I could easily get waivers to fly in the North and South ends of the airspace footprint. (Green circles) No problem there.

grid1 - Copy.PNG

And the area within the “Blue Donut” (Blue circle) is ok to fly in too. (100-400ft AGL) Great! However the waiver request asks for a radius. Within the center of the Blue Donut lies the Red No Fly Zone. (City of Ukiah)

Hmm. Ok, So I’m now thinking:

To to fly within the Blue Donut I would have to file a half-dozen or so waivers (blue circles) for the area that fills this space.

Inside the Red Zone is the Town (yellow) and Airport. (black) I would have to file perhaps three waivers to fly here, so the radius doesn’t step on the airport.

And the result would be this mess:

blue donut.PNG

I’m sure this approach is overkill and there must be a simpler way. Again, just one waiver to blanket the whole area would be lovely!

And is there a way to attach images when filing for a waiver? I can’t imagine trying to explain all this to the FAA with text alone. And if it must be written, how the heck to write such a complicated request?

Anyway I'm a bit stumped, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried calling the airport manager for advise on how to submit the waiver? The number is 707-467-2855...

Have you tried calling the airport manager for advise on how to submit the waiver? The number is 707-467-2855...
Unless the airport manager is also a Part 107 sUAS pilot, that person would not have a clue about 107 waivers.

Agreed, I've read many stories about this. I do intend to meet with the airport manager, but it would be after waivers were granted. I appreciate the replies , tx!

Those areas where you see (0) you're not going to get an Authorization and most definitely not going to get a Waiver. At this time I highly suspect you're spinning your wheels but this could change in the future.

Airspace Authorization - Up to 6 months and a bit easier to get
Airspace Waivers - Up to 2 years and harder to get approved

Keep us posted how it goes though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan