Still confused over airspace waiver

Reaction score
I was looking at the Kittyhawk app, and a spot I plopped the cursor down on is just outside of the circle of a class D airspace. But the box states “Permissible altitude for authorization: 400 ft”. So here is my (hopefully not too stupid) question. Since I live in connecticut, and ALL but 1 of the controlled airspace are not Laance capable. So, does that box that states
“Permissible altitude for authorization: 400 ft”, does that mean I do not have to get a waiver, and can fly up to 400’ in that area? Or, I can file for a waiver on the dronezone site to ask to fly up to 400’ in that area? Please take a look at the screenshots, and hopefully you can see why I would be confused. I should also mention I am a 107 holder.
IMG_8129.jpg
IMG_8130.jpg

If you're flying where the mark is you don't need any authorization. The airspace is only inside the blue circle. If you want to fly inside the circle in a square that isn't a 0 grid, you'll need LAANC authorization. Use Skyward or UASidekick.

Reactions: vincent228
Thank you. If one of the squares inside the circle said the same thing (permissible authorization up to 400’) would I need a waiver for that? Like the screenshot I just took. I guess that’s what has me confused, is the “permissible” part. Does that mean you are good without authorization up to the height listed? Or you can request a waiver up to that point in that area?
C2E42BCC-71D8-4B26-AB4B-8A454B52343E.png

Looks like Bridgeport is not LAANC capable yet, so waivers are necessary via the FAA DroneZone. To my knowledge, if an area is covered by a square on the ArcGIS sUAS facility maps it is considered controlled airspace and requires LAANC or the waiver if LAANC is unavailable. Being a 107 pilot your request for waiver would likely be granted in a fairly timely manner. Not sure of the lead time.

Looking at the sectional chart for that area, the circle is controlled airspace. It should be Class G in the rest of that square and no clearance or waiver needed.

You wouldn't need a waiver in any event. Airspace authorizations are not waivers. A waiver allows you to bypass a regulation such as flying over people, or flying at night. However, if the zone is marked for 400 feet, the authorization is virtually instantaneous through LAANC, and really quick through the drone zone.(Usually 24-48 hrs or less). And as @DoomMeister pointed out, the area outside the shaded blue area is Class G anyway. For safety's sake I always get my authorization when I'm in such a square, just in case the wind blows me off course or GPS or controller software fails, etc. and forces me into the blue. Better they know you're there. Just include a segment that transects the blue for the plan, even if you don't actually fly into it.

You wouldn't need a waiver in any event. Airspace authorizations are not waivers. A waiver allows you to bypass a regulation such as flying over people, or flying at night. However, if the zone is marked for 400 feet, the authorization is virtually instantaneous through LAANC, and really quick through the drone zone.(Usually 24-48 hrs or less). And as @DoomMeister pointed out, the area outside the shaded blue area is Class G anyway. For safety's sake I always get my authorization when I'm in such a square, just in case the wind blows me off course or GPS or controller software fails, etc. and forces me into the blue. Better they know you're there. Just include a segment that transects the blue for the plan, even if you don't actually fly into it.

Sorry for the terminology swap of "waiver" vs. "Authorization" (it was late, and i was using 1/2 of my brain).
your explanation of "However, if the zone is marked for 400 feet, the authorization is virtually instantaneous through LAANC, and really quick through the drone zone". really explains my questions.
I was thinking "why would controlled airspace come up as a permissible to......." it was confusing as to why it said that. The word permissible is defined as "allowed", which had my head spinning. it probably should say "up to 400' authorization can be requested".
Just my thought.

According to the map it should be Class G, but the info states that it is still Class D airspace, I would check with another app or go to the Dji zone verify map to check how its classifying that area.

Reactions: vincent228
According to the map it should be Class G, but the info states that it is still Class D airspace, I would check with another app or go to the Dji zone verify map to check how its classifying that area.
It is still Class D to the limit of the blue shaded area. 5 mile ring in most cases from the geographical center of the airfield. This allows for controlled entry and exit from the airport environs.

Sorry for the terminology swap of "waiver" vs. "Authorization" (it was late, and i was using 1/2 of my brain).
your explanation of "However, if the zone is marked for 400 feet, the authorization is virtually instantaneous through LAANC, and really quick through the drone zone". really explains my questions.
I was thinking "why would controlled airspace come up as a permissible to......." it was confusing as to why it said that. The word permissible is defined as "allowed", which had my head spinning. it probably should say "up to 400' authorization can be requested".
Just my thought.
The government uses "lawyer language" because it is usually lawyers that write it, and lawyers that have to prosecute or defend it. For an example, if we use your "can be requested" language, it would have the implication that anything else cannot be requested. And as you know, you can request anything at all. It's just a matter of whether or not you get it. By saying "permissible" it states that anything outside of that use is prohibited, and hopefully more clearly. I'm on your side about the difficulty in understanding legalese, though. I've been a fixed wing pilot for 26 years, and reading the regulations still makes my teeth itch.

If the map is grayed out, it means Auto LAANC is not available. All of you just need to read the Kitty Hawk Manual, which states that Gray is not available yet. If you go to Kitty Hawk and see colors on the map as in red, yellow, orange green then Auto LAANC is available. Again Read the Manual, it has words but they are easy.

If the map is grayed out, it means Auto LAANC is not available. All of you just need to read the Kitty Hawk Manual, which states that Gray is not available yet. If you go to Kitty Hawk and see colors on the map as in red, yellow, orange green then Auto LAANC is available. Again Read the Manual, it has words but they are easy.
The confusion was not if LAANC capable. The confusion was in the verbiage in a specific square of airspace. I know there is literally one Connecticut airport that is LAANC capable. That Is BDL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan