Slightly Damaged Drone

Reaction score
Hi there, now i’v been flying drones for about 3-4 years now, and by this time i know the difference between pilot error and a technical error. i was coming in for landing, and when i touched down the front two motors glitched causing them to accelerate and the aircraft started flying backwards bouncing along the ground and slamming into my garage door. it was stuck on its back so i had to put my hands into the propellers to level it out and hold it against the ground to shut off the motors. all four propellers are shot with one of them broken. however, the camera and landing gear are fine, the shell only has small scratches in the rear arms. i’m sure the aircraft is fine, just small scratches. should i still send it to DJi for repairs? or should i just replace the props and test it over grass? and i do know that DJi has very bad service as seen in the photos below. thank you to anyone who replies in advance.View attachment 90084

View attachment 90085

View attachment 90086

View attachment 90087

View attachment 90088

View attachment 90089

View attachment 90090

View attachment 90092

Last edited:
I ( personally )
Would replace the props, do an IMU calibration, and fresh compass calibration, then do a test with props OFF. Check to see all is well with camera, connections , video feed, etc, if all is a go, ( you get NO warnings ) and looks good, turn motors on, rev them up/down,make sure they all turn fine, no crazy noises or glitches, then if all looks good try a flight! ( you can even pin the craft down ( I use diving weights 6 lbs per leg ) but use whatever you have, and test with props on while pinned down, so it cannot lift off ) for the first test, then an actual flight!

I would send back ONLY as a last resort!
These birds are pretty tough, and if camera/gimbal survived, odds are craft is ok as well! Usually the gimbal is the first to break in a crash! ( they are very fragile )

I think you'll find the craft is ok, just has some battle damage! And a story to tell!
Chin up my friend! Keeping fingers crossed for you, and please keep us informed!

J Dot
:cool:

I ( personally )
Would replace the props, do an IMU calibration, and fresh compass calibration, then do a test with props OFF. Check to see all is well with camera, connections , video feed, etc, if all is a go, ( you get NO warnings ) and looks good, turn motors on, rev them up/down,make sure they all turn fine, no crazy noises or glitches, then if all looks good try a flight! ( you can even pin the craft down ( I use diving weights 6 lbs per leg ) but use whatever you have, and test with props on while pinned down, so it cannot lift off ) for the first test, then an actual flight!

These birds are pretty tough, and if camera/gimbal survived, odds are craft is ok as well! Usually the gimbal is the first to break in a crash! ( they are very fragile )

I think you'll find the craft is ok, just has some battle damage! And a story to tell!
Chin up my friend! Keeping fingers crossed for you, and please keep us informed!

J Dot
thank you so much for that information, i was very worried about this (and still am a little). this helps a lot, thank you!

I ( personally )

J Dot
Thank you so much for this, i followed everything you suggested and everything works like new (so far)

I also wanted to add ( reading your reply above )
NEW PROPS

are you using DJI branded props ( or unbranded generic props? )

Believe it or not, makes a difference, I almost crashed my plus, using bogus props ( I cheaped out $, and bought 8 props for $10 ) unbranded,
Long story short
I was descending rapidly from 200', and when I tried to level out, craft kept coming down, I gave full power, craft bounced off the ground and back up to 15' or so? I was like WTH? I put dji props on and tried again, craft stopped on a dime!

Now I ONLY use DJI PROPS! Period!

Just my 2 cents!

J Dot

Hi there, now i’v been flying drones for about 3-4 years now, and by this time i know the difference between pilot error and a technical error. i was coming in for landing, and when i touched down the front two motors glitched causing them to accelerate and the aircraft started flying backwards bouncing along the ground and slamming into my garage door. it was stuck on its back so i had to put my hands into the propellers to level it out and hold it against the ground to shut off the motors. all four propellers are shot with one of them broken. however, the camera and landing gear are fine, the shell only has small scratches in the rear arms. i’m sure the aircraft is fine, just small scratches. should i still send it to DJi for repairs? or should i just replace the props and test it over grass? and i do know that DJi has **** service as seen in the photos below. thank you to anyone who replies in advance.View attachment 90084

View attachment 90085

View attachment 90086

View attachment 90087

View attachment 90088

View attachment 90089

View attachment 90090

View attachment 90091

View attachment 90092
Glad your drone seems to have come through relatively unscathed....

A 'bouncy' or uneven landing may cause the symptoms that you have described, as two motors accelerate to try and re-level the aircraft.

I see that you say you are an experienced flyer, but just in case and maybe for the benefit of anyone else who may not know, I will mention that CSC (Centre Stick Command) shouldn't be used to turn off the motors after landing. If not done absolutely precisely and correctly, it can cause tip-over problems.

Left stick down for 3 seconds should be used to switch off the motors after landing.

You say it hit your garage door - were you landing on your drive? I tend to steer well clear of anything have may have hidden metal within it, as a driveway probably has, for both take off and landing.

Last edited:
Reactions: TraskKimball_707
Glad your drone seems to have come through relatively unscathed....

A 'bouncy' or uneven landing may cause the symptoms that you have described, as two motors accelerate to try and re-level the aircraft.

I see that you say you are an experienced flyer, but just in case and maybe for the benefit of anyone else who may not know, I will mention that CSC (Centre Stick Command) shouldn't be used to turn off the motors after landing. If not done absolutely precisely and correctly, it can cause tip-over problems.

Left stick down for 3 seconds should be used to switch off the motors after landing.

You say it hit your garage door - were you landing on your drive? I tend to steer well clear of anything have may have hidden metal within it, as a driveway probably has, for both take off and landing.
i get what you’re saying about the stick command to turn off the motors, no i’ve never done that before, i’ve always just held the left stick down all the way at touchdown. And about the garage door, and landing in the parking pad, i live way outside of town, parking pad is my best option when my other option is to land on gravel, which i tried one time but i was SUPER close to scratching my camera lense on a rock, but my parking pad is pretty large and i’ve landed there after almost every flight just fine. thanks for the reply

It’s a wise investment even if you don’t hand catch. Don’t want to drop that RC on the concrete!

I went with dji but I’m sure anything with a good solid clasp would work for you. I paid around 16 dollars or so for mine from them. I just found this.
75d3d26ddfcbfca2ad212bded027a00d.jpg

The price seems really low but there were lots of mid range options by googling dji lanyards

I went with dji but I’m sure anything with a good solid clasp would work for you. I paid around 16 dollars or so for mine from them. I just found this.
75d3d26ddfcbfca2ad212bded027a00d.jpg

The price seems really low but there were lots of mid range options by googling dji lanyards
ok, thanks! i’ll think of something...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav