RTH on connection loss?

Reaction score
I can't seem to find the previous post discussing what happens in latest update when the connection is lost.
Some say it will no longer RTH but will force land instead.
Does anyone have conformation either way? Regarding DJI Go for P3S.
At present all is working well but the "Update" warning is a distraction. ( read makes me nervous)
I wouldn't want to update if it is a forced landing.

RD

I can't seem to find the previous post discussing what happens in latest update when the connection is lost.
Some say it will no longer RTH but will force land instead.
Does anyone have conformation either way? Regarding DJI Go for P3S.
At present all is working well but the "Update" warning is a distraction. ( read makes me nervous)
I wouldn't want to update if it is a forced landing.

RD
Hi i did read one early and if within 65ft of take off point it will land ,,not recomended if flying in your neighbourhood...ps i still fly old version ,no updates,goes good dont fix it

The following things could happen when the remote controller signal is lost:
  • If the Phantom is within 65 feet of the home point, it will auto land at its current location.
  • If the home point has not been set, it will auto land at its current location.
  • If the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting is set to "Landing" (see below), it will auto land at its current location.
  • If the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting is set to "Hover" (see below), it will hover in place until either the remote controller signal has been reestablished or the battery reaches the critical low level (which forces it to auto land at its current location).
  • If the Phantom auto switched to ATTI mode and is currently flying in ATTI mode, it will auto land at its current location.
  • If the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting is set to "Return-to-Home" (see below) and one of the above scenarios did not occur, it'll try to fly back to the home point.
DJI-GO-RC-Signal-Lost.jpg

Thanks,
msinger's reply is how it works now. Glad it hasn't changed.
Regarding meta4.... there are Some I believe.... Some need a bit more research.
heh heh

What???? I am confused by all this...

Ok, I basically NEVER fly more than 50 feet away from me, so my bird is basically ALWAYS within 50 feet of the home point.

So if for some reason the AC loses connection with the remote - on the latest software / firmware - it will just try to land straight down from where it is at that moment? It won't make any attempt to return to the home point at all???

Since I do real estate photography, that means basically landing either on someone's roof, or in the middle of the street...

So if for some reason the AC loses connection with the remote - on the latest software / firmware - it will just try to land straight down from where it is at that moment?
That's correct.

It won't make any attempt to return to the home point at all?
No.

that means basically landing either on someone's roof, or in the middle of the street...
To prevent that from occurring, set the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover". If the remote controller signal is lost at that point, then you'll just need to readjust your position to reestablish the remote controller connection.

That's correct.

No.

To prevent that from occurring, set the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover". If the remote controller signal is lost at that point, then you'll just need to readjust your position to reestablish the remote controller connection.

Thank you for the clarification.

This is - unfortunately - very nerve wracking for me. And I fail to see any wisdom in this (not returning to the home point if connection is lost within 65 feet).

Is there some benefit that eludes my feeble mind???

I do appreciate the tip about setting it to hover. That seems like in SOME circumstances it could be beneficial. I guess my main worry is - since I am pretty clumsy - that I will drop the remote into a pool or fountain or off the deck of a three story house and will kill the remote, meaning I might not ever regain the connection with the AC. Yeah, I know, being clumsy and being an RPIC is not a good combination...

Last edited:
Another option would be for you to take off from an area that is (by a good margin) more than 65ft away from the property you're filming, so that if RTH kicks-in, the AC would return there.
But personally I think that in your case, setting the AC to hover in case of signal loss (paired with a robust lanyard) is the best option.

Reactions: Newbieguy
The following could happen when the remote controller signal is lost:
If the Phantom auto switched to ATTI mode and is currently flying in ATTI mode, it will auto land at its current location.

Thanks for posting that as I guess I missed it or never paid any attention to ATTI mode.I have always flown with a good signal and never dreamed of auto switching to ATTI mode and hope it never does or it switches back before it auto lands.

...And I fail to see any wisdom in this (not returning to the home point if connection is lost within 65 feet).

I think it may be that by landing close to home rather than at home, it won't have to rise to the minimum RTH height which potentially saves significant time and battery.

This is - unfortunately - very nerve wracking for me. And I fail to see any wisdom in this (not returning to the home point if connection is lost within 65 feet).
People have made all sorts of suggestions/guesses but none are satisfactory explanations.
DJI have never explained it - it's just the way they have programmed it.
But it would be extremely unusual to be losing signal within 50 feet.

Reactions: Just Mark
People have made all sorts of suggestions/guesses but none are satisfactory explanations.
DJI have never explained it - it's just the way they have programmed it.
But it would be extremely unusual to be losing signal within 50 feet.
True. Just that I have been known to do some extremely unusual things... none of them good :)

Reactions: Mackie and nwcove

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues