Release DJI Ground Station for P2V Waypoints app 1.0.41

J.James said:
ha ha no I dint mean how does the app work or how to use it. I was more wondering HOW is the wifi camera app able to control the flight controls to be able to tell it were to fly? Does it some how need to have a 5.8ghx wifi connection and mimic the transmitters signals?
The white cable coming out the back of the camera provides both power and a 2-way data connection between the camera and the Phantom's central control board. This data cable allows the camera to get flight telemetry - which it sends to your phone app via Wi-Fi. It also lets your phone app upload a limited set of flight commands to the camera via Wi-Fi (yaw accelerometer control and GS mission programming) - which the camera then sends to the flight controller via the data cable.

The Vision and Vision+ use the camera's Wi-Fi connection for 2-way data between phone and aircraft. The separate iPad Ground Station app - for non-Vision 2.4GHz control aircraft - requires separate Bluetooth link hardware, since those models don't have built-in Wi-Fi.

jimre said:
RCRookie said:
Yup... Got that. My question is about YAW?.. does the phone app allow you to Yaw the craft/camera as well as pitch ??? .... There seems to be some confusion on this feature.

The manual shows an image of the camera being PITCHED as well as being YAWED with the phone app.... Its a feature i've never tried in the air.
Not during a ground station mission, no, You cannot use ANY flight controls during a GS mission, without aborting that mission. That includes YAW, whether done via joystick or phone movement.

You can only use CAMERA controls during a GS mission. That includes camera tilt, camera shutter, settings, etc.

I got that...But, if the Camera Pitch can be adjusted thru the phone app... ie: make the camera move up or down.... Then why not on the Yaw axis too ?...assuming you have a yaw motor (Gimbal). And the Vision 'Plus', does have a Yaw axis motor.

That's what I'm asking. I know that you cant re-take control via TX without cancelling the Waypoint mission.

What is that allows the Pitch to be controlled and not the Yaw...A limitation in the software ?
And like I say...the Pictures in the Manual suggest these two axis can be used via the phone app.

I did a short test yesterday, and noticed something I hadn't counted on. I had left the altitude of the first waypoint at default (98 feet) I expected the aircraft to rise to 98 feet before making for the first waypoint. It didn't seem to do that. It looked like that once it gained a few feet of altitude it began heading towards the first waypoint while slowly continuing to gain altitude. Is this what you guys are also seeing?

-slinger

gunslinger said:
I did a short test yesterday, and noticed something I hadn't counted on. I had left the altitude of the first waypoint at default (98 feet) I expected the aircraft to rise to 98 feet before making for the first waypoint. It didn't seem to do that. It looked like that once it gained a few feet of altitude it began heading towards the first waypoint while slowly continuing to gain altitude. Is this what you guys are also seeing?

-slinger

I read it climbs to 16 feet on its first leg ?

I have no idea why they would allow it to be so low.

Re: Release DJI Ground Station for P2V+ Waypoints app 1.0.4

Unread postby Opwan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:27 pm

set your first waypoint exactly overhead of home at per say 60 feet, if you don't the phantom will be climbing from 16 feet to the first set waypoint altitude! This may get a lot of people in trouble if there is not a clean line from home to the first waypoint that's between 16 feet and whatever you set the first waypoint at.

So it seems your very first input needs to be your rising altitude BEFORE the first leg. IE....... (1.) Homepoint+altitude (2.)Homepoint Above head....(3) Homepoint to 3rd waypoint.

So you could say...Set you first WAYPOINT on the Vertical plane to account for "RISING ALTITUDE"
Not very intuitive.

I took my PV2 out to test the waypoints today. I used 3 batteries and tried various missions, all went as planned without a hiccup! A bit of a pain using my iPhone 5 because it's so small and very difficult to adjust the height. Anyway, it was all good but I really don't see me using it unless they come up with a way to control the yaw while on a mission. if they come up with a way it will be an excellent tool for photographers! ;)

The white cable coming out the back of the camera provides both power and a 2-way data connection between the camera and the Phantom's central control board. This data cable allows the camera to get flight telemetry - which it sends to your phone app via Wi-Fi. It also lets your phone app upload a limited set of flight commands to the camera via Wi-Fi (yaw accelerometer control and GS mission programming) - which the camera then sends to the flight controller via the data cable.

The Vision and Vision+ use the camera's Wi-Fi connection for 2-way data between phone and aircraft. The separate iPad Ground Station app - for non-Vision 2.4GHz control aircraft - requires separate Bluetooth link hardware, since those models don't have built-in Wi-Fi.

jimre

ohhhhh ok I had thought the data connection threw that cable would be just from the phantom to the camera and out threw the wifi but I guess that makes sense that its 2 way being its also got to tell the phantom to work the cameras servo up or down to.

I just got a fixer upper vision the other day and so far its a completely different beast then my FC40's anatomy.

Apologies guys, but with out yaw this seems pretty pointless to me (my opinion) I can fly to A and B and C by myself easily , what I wanted was nice circles around objects with the nose in to film .
I enjoyed flying the phantom myself and this feature would have been really handy , I don't want all the flying put down to a GPS system, may as well as set it up, send it off , go for a drink, and come back to land it

Agree...its a nice little added feature, Photography and Video need to be more "hands on" anyway.

There are workarounds like "repointing" the craft with more waypoints...But its far from ideal.

RCRookie said:
So it seems your very first input needs to be your rising altitude BEFORE the first leg. IE....... (1.) Homepoint+altitude (2.)Homepoint Above head....(3) Homepoint to 3rd waypoint.

So you could say...Set you first WAYPOINT on the Vertical plane to account for "RISING ALTITUDE"
Not very intuitive.

Yes, very unintuitive and in fact dangerous for the unaware or new user. I knew this was going to be an issue because of the forums and the manual, but good God, what was DJI thinking with this? Did any of the beta testers give any feedback about this, or was it just not wanted?

I just updated everything...maps cached, ready to go do a short test.

If I don't like this...I hope I can get back to 1.08 without issues.

Will report back with any errors or hiccups.

The Rookie

RCRookie said:
I got that...But, if the Camera Pitch can be adjusted thru the phone app... ie: make the camera move up or down.... Then why not on the Yaw axis too ?...assuming you have a yaw motor (Gimbal). And the Vision 'Plus', does have a Yaw axis motor.

That's what I'm asking. I know that you cant re-take control via TX without cancelling the Waypoint mission.

What is that allows the Pitch to be controlled and not the Yaw...A limitation in the software ?
And like I say...the Pictures in the Manual suggest these two axis can be used via the phone app.
1) the only way to YAW the Phantom Vision camera is by yawing the aircraft, using the flight control system. Which means you can't use it while the GS program is flying the aircraft.

2) I have no idea what's possible on a Vision+, but I would guess that there is no manual control of gimbal motors - they exist only for stabilization, not aiming the camera. Perhaps you should ask in the Vision+ forum. This is the regular Vision forum.

I ran a first test today of the waypoints app in a park. I am a newbie in this area, as I have never used GS.
The state park contained hilly wooded terrain, so I used a topographical map (I used earthmate on my phone) to see what safe elevations I will need to use
(Highest Planned Point Elevation - HomeElevation + Height Of Trees + Safety Margin).

I set up a few missions and it worked flawlessly.
I set up the first waypoint right next to home point so that it would climb to the desired elevation right away.

One mission was a grid pattern that covered the park with a little overlap between passes.
I set it in time lapse photography and took shots every x seconds.

Another mission went to various points of interest that I saw on the google maps (camera was pointing down).

I understand that this does not meet photographers' needs, but it does have value, especially at the free price point :) .

Beyond the mission, being able to use the google maps offline in an area where there is no cell coverage was really good.
After the mission was completed, I continued to fly around on the google maps screen, giving me a view that I have not had until now.

I had full situational awareness, I could see on the google maps upcoming roads, streams, and buildings which I would not see in FPV until I would be above it.

My local missions in parks have been hampered by temporary loss of control signal through trees, which trigger failsafe. With this app, I can complete my mission.

It's not for everyone but there definitely is some value in this app.

Now if someone can just hack it to remove the 1500ft radius restriction....

varmint said:
RCRookie said:

Not very intuitive.

Yes, very unintuitive and in fact dangerous for the unaware or new user. I knew this was going to be an issue because of the forums and the manual, but good God, what was DJI thinking with this? Did any of the beta testers give any feedback about this, or was it just not wanted?

I'm glad I asked... That IS counter-intuitive and dangerous. WTF were these guys thinking?

-slinger

Hi
I'm sorry to ask, i'm sure the info is here but i spent some time looking and couldn't locate it.

Essentially you are required to upgrade the main phantom software to the version that has all those restrictions ie airport locations etc?

I live 8 miles from heathrow. I don't want to start that old debate about whether it would be right or wrong to fly here but just would say that I do very low/close flying here mainly to get shots of things 20/30 feet above to add a new dimension to my photography.
If it is the case that I would be severely restricted by an enforced upgrade. I'll sadly have to give this one a miss if this is the case.
Can anyone clarify? Thanks
A

First GS Test went fine, except for a couple of issues.

Since update to app 1.0.50 , I noticed the Nexus 7 tablet wants to go into battery saving mode while the GS App is flying in map view?... Shouldnt that be automatically turned off?

The other problem was with the selection of hybrid or satellite map views, could not get either one, even after caching maps while connected to internet before the mission?
I have a Nexus 7 2013 wifi only tablet.

What level of Zoom should you be to cache the map?
Is that the problem?
Do others have satellite view during the GS flight, with WIFI only Tablet?

Thanks for responses,

The Rookie

RCRookie said:

Not very intuitive.

Or you just ascent manually from home point let's say to 40 meters and then push 'Go'. It'll then start the run at that altitude.

GREAT app! Made numerous flights yesterday and it worked flawlessly. Does it have EVERY feature that I would like it to have? No, but c'mon, use your imagination! Even without yaw control, you can program in star patterns and use the pause feature to get some great shots. Last night for the first time, I made a couple of night flights using way points. It was a blast!

RCRookie said:
First GS Test went fine, except for a couple of issues.

Since update to app 1.0.50 , I noticed the Nexus 7 tablet wants to go into battery saving mode while the GS App is flying in map view?... Shouldnt that be automatically turned off?

The other problem was with the selection of hybrid or satellite map views, could not get either one, even after caching maps while connected to internet before the mission?
I have a Nexus 7 2013 wifi only tablet.

What level of Zoom should you be to cache the map?
Is that the problem?
Do others have satellite view during the GS flight, with WIFI only Tablet?

Thanks for responses,

The Rookie

I can't cache maps using iPad mini pre retina wifi only also. Works fine caching on 5s though.

Ive never had a problem with the Camera Image on my Nexus 7, with 1.08 since purchase, even at 640X480, 30 fps about 900 feet i still had great video.

With 3.04, now my image from the camera locks up, takes a reset of the app, screen gets scrambled. Reboot, eventually it gets back to normal, but not above, 320 at 15 fps. All of that just to get it working correctly.

If this is the best i can hope for... I think I'd have to go back to 1.08 for the camera fix and flight performance boost. Hate the 2m per sec decent rate, and the entire craft is rather sluggish now.

Waypoints are fun, and perhaps useful.. But the cost to benefit, is high.

2 Cents,

The Rookie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic