Release DJI Ground Station for P2V Waypoints app 1.0.41

Re: Release DJI Ground Station for P2V and V+ Waypoints app

macuser13 said:
tedw123 said:
I guess all the paranoid 1.08ers are going to have to update or never use this feature, oh no!

Haha hey im a 2.0 user and i dont have any problems ;)

but with that said, iv been nervous about updating because iv been happy with the way it flies, no crashes or hiccups.
but i think this weekend i will at least try it. what the worst that could happen? :D

Ditto !!!!
1.08. In addition to continue having the 7th channel access...why update at all, if the waypoints are not important?

Can the 16 waypoints be programmed to fly nose in , say in a circle for example , I know it does speed height etc ?

FlyingFox said:
Can the 16 waypoints be programmed to fly nose in , say in a circle for example , I know it does speed height etc ?

I don't think you can program "orientation"...If you take back control to Yaw the Vision, I would assume the mission would be cancelled.

A Mission "PAUSE" feature would be nice.

Geert said:
macuser13 said:
tedw123 said:
I guess all the paranoid 1.08ers are going to have to update or never use this feature, oh no!

Haha hey im a 2.0 user and i dont have any problems ;)

but with that said, iv been nervous about updating because iv been happy with the way it flies, no crashes or hiccups.
but i think this weekend i will at least try it. what the worst that could happen? :D

Well I do understand the fear to updating if everything is going well under 1.08
I did the upgrade and then reversed back to 1.08 because I missed the 7th channel feature.

Since a few weeks I am back on the most recent upgrade 3.04. No issues at all.
Tomorrow I will test the waypoint app.

Geert.

I will have to say that i have seen that the 3.04 has been alot better for some users like yourself. So that is giving me some hope.

Now i do think that waypoints is a good idea. but then again it dosen't support orientation. but why cant you just set a waypoint to fly past a point of something you want to take a picture of, then set another way point just a few more feet towards the subject or point and have it stop there. take your picture and return to home or set another waypoint at another angle, as long as set a waypoint pointing at the target from a further distance and fly towards it, you would be fine. you would think.. something to test this weekend.

Right...it can be done with the direction of travel...like the points on a star...as long as the direction of travel is towards the object you want to shoot. It would work.

Also, I understand the RE500 can be replaced with the RE700, doubling your video range.
The best option would simply be a "pause" feature in the waypoint mission planner.

RCRookie said:
Right...it can be done with the direction of travel...like the points on a star...as long as the direction of travel is towards the object you want to shoot. It would work.

Also, I understand the RE500 can be replaced with the RE700, doubling your video range.
The best option would simply be a "pause" feature in the waypoint mission planner.

So I wonder what would be more feasable... upgrading to the RE700 for $200 or spending that money on a DIY setup with the current RE500. Its Understandable that you would have more wires, weight and ect with the DIY but could get a greater distance.

I take it that the App version dosen't come with a pause feature? I thought that i saw this in a demo video a while back. Could be wrong. It seems they give us just enough to get excited and shoot us down with the lack of important features :)

''For the Vision and Vision + version you cannot save the missions. You can pause the mission and take a picture. You can adjust the tilt of the camera. You can start and stop video. You will have no RC control unless you disable the mission.''

I found this on another forum that i have been following from a beta tester with the app.

RCRookie said:
FlyingFox said:

I don't think you can program "orientation"...If you take back control to Yaw the Vision, I would assume the mission would be cancelled.

A Mission "PAUSE" feature would be nice.

The new manual says it has a pause and resume feature.
"The aircraft flies to each waypoint in numerical order. As it flies, swipe back into the DJI Vision app camera GUI to
control camera tilt and capture photos or video. Tap pause to pause the mission during the flight, and aircraft will
then start hovering. Tap play to resume mission. If you wish to regain control of the aircraft, toggle the S1 switch on
remote control from (Position-1) to either (Position-2) or (Position-3) to discontinue the current
mission."

Note I added the word pause and replay in one place each since the symbols from the manual don't copy.

John Shaw said:
"The aircraft flies to each waypoint in numerical order. As it flies, swipe back into the DJI Vision app camera GUI to
control camera tilt and capture photos or video. Tap pause to pause the mission during the flight, and aircraft will
then start hovering. Tap play to resume mission. If you wish to regain control of the aircraft, toggle the S1 switch on
remote control from (Position-1) to either (Position-2) or (Position-3) to discontinue the current
mission."

But that's sounding like you have to completely discontinue the "mission" in order to gain any control (even Yaw).
DJI's version of "pause" simply interrupts the mission and makes the Vision hover, but you still don't have control... which is what it seems like one would really want in a "pause".

ProfessorStein said:
John Shaw said:
mission."

But that's sounding like you have to completely discontinue the "mission" in order to gain any control (even Yaw).
DJI's version of "pause" simply interrupts the mission and makes the Vision hover, but you still don't have control... which is what it seems like one would really want in a "pause".

Right...If you cant use the Pause to "reorient" the craft for the shot, then its a limited feature. I guess you'd need to "PAUSE" at EXACTLY the right spot to have a chance at getting the shot you'd like.

Just returned home from testing out the new Waypoint function. It worked great! I was a holdout on the 1.08 firmware cause my P2V flew very well. Bit the bullet this morning and up graded to 3.04 so I could use the Waypoint app. Updated the DJI app on my Android Galaxy S4, played wit it on the bench and then headed out. Local RC field is surrounded by tall corn now but decided to use the runway corners as waypoints. My phone had trouble loading the satellite view of the map. Maybe a memory hog. It loads fine on Google Maps. Anyway, I used the standard view and estimated the waypoint locations for two points. You can adjust their position and distance from each other on the GUI interface. Set a 60' altitude for each point, had the P2V in the middle of the runway. Finally got my nerve up and pressed the GO icon. P2V took off well and I believe to the first WP altitude, paused a second and headed off. I could track the progress on the map. My WP was only 150' away, and at Mid speed, got their quickly. It paused a couple of seconds, did a little jerk and headed for Wp #2. Same action there and then it came back to the Homepoint, holding same altitude I think, as WP2 and hovered over the spot. I thought it would land automatically, but after 30-40 seconds, I decided it was not landing, so I flipped the switch from GPS to ATTI and back to GPS and got immediate control. Landed as usual. Without turning everything off, my waypoints were still in the app. I moved the P2V about 20 yards from the home position, pressed GO again and it repeated the flight, returning to my original home position and hovered. I landed it again. During flight, I could not yaw the quad, only controlling the camera and gimbal. I did not realize that I could Pause the flight at a WP then, so I didn't try that function. Just happy it works so far.

coastaltom said:
Just returned home from testing out the new Waypoint function. It worked great! I was a holdout on the 1.08 firmware cause my P2V flew very well. Bit the bullet this morning and up graded to 3.04 so I could use the Waypoint app. Updated the DJI app on my Android Galaxy S4, played wit it on the bench and then headed out. Local RC field is surrounded by tall corn now but decided to use the runway corners as waypoints. My phone had trouble loading the satellite view of the map. Maybe a memory hog. It loads fine on Google Maps. Anyway, I used the standard view and estimated the waypoint locations for two points. You can adjust their position and distance from each other on the GUI interface. Set a 60' altitude for each point, had the P2V in the middle of the runway. Finally got my nerve up and pressed the GO icon. P2V took off well and I believe to the first WP altitude, paused a second and headed off. I could track the progress on the map. My WP was only 150' away, and at Mid speed, got their quickly. It paused a couple of seconds, did a little jerk and headed for Wp #2. Same action there and then it came back to the Homepoint, holding same altitude I think, as WP2 and hovered over the spot. I thought it would land automatically, but after 30-40 seconds, I decided it was not landing, so I flipped the switch from GPS to ATTI and back to GPS and got immediate control. Landed as usual. Without turning everything off, my waypoints were still in the app. I moved the P2V about 20 yards from the home position, pressed GO again and it repeated the flight, returning to my original home position and hovered. I landed it again. During flight, I could not yaw the quad, only controlling the camera and gimbal. I did not realize that I could Pause the flight at a WP then, so I didn't try that function. Just happy it works so far.

Great...It gives me hope..I also have held onto 1.08.
You can "cache" maps of the area your mission is being flown...Maybe that would help with the maps issues.

I wonder why it did not auto land....I believe its supposed to do so. Maybe at the end of the mission, if Control is not regained, it defaults to RTH ?..then lands ????

EDIT: From the manual.
Step 5 Landing
When all waypoints have been visited, the aircraft will return to its Home point and hover. Regain control of the
aircraft and land it manually. You may also tap button to initiate “Go Home” procedure. Aircraft will abort
current mission, return to Home point and auto land.

I agree that the usability of the pause depends on what you can do while paused. It will be interesting to see if you could yaw the phantom by tilting the smart phone. I am referring to the mode enabled on the upper left side of the screen that allows you to control vehicle yaw and gimble tilt by moving your phone.

separate issue
The manual indicates when it returns home it hovers and you take control and land as normal. Doesn't say what happens if you don't.

I see there are two threads about the P2V and V+ Ground Station. Maybe the admen should just merge them. Anyway, for anyone who did not see my posts about my test flights:
MikeySoft said:
MikeySoft said:
I'm still charging my batteries but I was wonder the same thing about yaw control. The video said it has a link to a FAQ but I cannot find any. There is more info in the updated manual but not that much.

Link to my YouTube channel, will try to post something soon.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MikesHDVideos
Ok, I did a short test flight.

First Impression, I don’t like not having control.

When I first tried YAW, It looked like it was yawing but it was just turning toward the next waypoint. I could not make it YAW as it was flying to the next waypoint or when it was hovering.

The app on my Nexus 5 also froze and the end of the mission. I had to cycle power to get the app to run again. IMO my phone screen is too small for the Ground Station. I will need some way to attach my Nexus 7 to the controller. The present attachment is too small to hold it.

Bottom line, most likely I will not use it. Hopefully they will improve the app.
I tried pausing the mission by touching the || icon on the display as stated in the updated manual. The flight was paused and just hovered. Still could not yaw while the mission was paused. I can control the camera but not where it is pointing (other then up/down). I touch the > icon and the mission continued. Moving the S1 switch puts it back in my control. I did not see a way to continue the mission from the point I took control so I just flew it back.

Mori55 said:
Not as far as i can tell from reading rc groups thread , its pretty comprehensive...

Is the 500m fence just for waypoint/ground station or a new global range restriction?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic