Reduced range in the UK

You guys do release that by law in the UK (Air Navigation Order) you cannot fly beyond visual range (generally accepted to be 250M) and higher than 121M (400ft) anyway.
6ee1f4f61897ea8fa58c14f392b997ea.jpg

I live in the uk and get about 1½ miles distance and around 1,600 feet so it can be done lol [emoji6]

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

400 feet is above ground level - so if you track up a hillside you can reasonably need to go much higher compared to your start point.
I don't know what they base the need to "see the aircraft" rule on.
Being able to see a dot in the sky doesn't tell you much compared to the live feed and comprehensive data on FPV screen - far better to look at that rather than squinting into the sky once it's a few feet away.
It suggests they don't understand or accept the recent tech advances.

Realistically how far is safe to go should depend on your own assessment of local risk factors.

I live in the uk and get about 1½ miles distance and around 1,600 feet so it can be done lol [emoji6]

I didn't say it couldn't be done. I said that the law says you can't.
I can drive my car at 150mph on the M6 if I want but the law says I can't. Same thing.

When i get my mavic i will never update it so they cant restrict it my p2+ and my p3p dosent have any so will do the same with the mavic

Sent from my SM-N910F using PhantomPilots mobile app

when you receive your mavic, it will be equipped with the latest firmware ! so also with these restrictions

when you receive your mavic, it will be equipped with the latest firmware ! so also with these restrictions

Yes, and not only that, they could quite easily prevent the craft from taking off if it hasn't got the latest and 'greatest' firmware on it. There's no escape, in the end you'd have to update.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I dont connect mine to the internet at all it just advises me there is an update, when the mavic arrives it will be able to fly at 1600 ft and 2 and a half miles distance so if i dont update it for any future restrictions hopefully it will stay that way

I dont connect mine to the internet at all it just advises me there is an update, when the mavic arrives it will be able to fly at 1600 ft and 2 and a half miles distance so if i dont update it for any future restrictions hopefully it will stay that way

Read again previous post, when mavic arrives it has already this new fw !

What are you talking about? Of course it won't have the 50M and 150M restriction as they aren't even law yet. It's still at the proposal and consultation stage. The most they will do is put the usual EU/CAA restriction in place that are the same as in the Inspire and Phantom currently.

Reactions: Closus and rigor
You guys do release that by law in the UK (Air Navigation Order) you cannot fly beyond visual range (generally accepted to be 250M) and higher than 121M (400ft) anyway.

We cannot drive our cars legally over 70mph. It doesn't mean we buy cars that are limited to 70.

It IS a serious concern, and denting my enthusiasm for a new Mavic.

I don't even live in Europe but my Phantom has been crippled as a 'CE' model so I have to presume European laws would affect me here in Malaysia.

Generally I hate updates and avoid them routinely on all devices, but you'd have to use a device with internet turned entirely off, all the time, else it may flatly refuse to fly until you update to the new crippleware.

We cannot drive our cars legally over 70mph. It doesn't mean we buy cars that are limited to 70.

And the Mavic isn't going to be limited by range (other than by EU transmission power rules) any time soon. Not unless the EU puts the range and height limits in to law (we're a long way from that yet) and puts the responsibility for the limits on the manufacturers.

There's a lot of tinfoil-hat going on in this thread. There are different laws all over the world for different products all the time. WiFi routers are more powerful in the US than the EU for example.

I flew my P4 500m up and 1km away a couple of Sundays ago *and* maintained sight of it as a shiny white dot against an azure sky - the sun was at the right angle and the air clear. The new Air Navigation Order only place a line-of-sight limit on UAVs under 7kg - the old rules went out the window on the 26th August 2016 even if almost no web site, including the CAAs own drone code, have not been updated.

Note: The VLOS requirement is not strictly for piloting but to ensure the operator knows the environment and other objects in the vicinity of the UAV.

Good job we in the U.K. voted for Brexit then eh? EU rules won't apply to us when article 50 is triggered.....
That depends on what the UK (if it pulls the Article 50 trigger) negotiates for itself.

This is all part of proposals for an open sky's agreement, I doubt BA, easyjet etc. will want to be left out of open sky's, the CAA will listen very carefully to what they want, and probably choose to comply with this if the UK is in, or out of the EU.

Like it or not - if the UK leaves the EU; for commercial reasons, lots of EU regulations are going to be adhered to if not by law, by industry self regulation.
- Think about it - all the goods that are made outside of the EU and sold inside the EU must comply with multiple standards of conformity, the UK is already producing all goods at this standard by means of existing enforced EU codes.
If seamless exports from a non EU UK will want to continue the most logical thing for the UK to do is continue to adhere to these EU codes and not face re-certifying every export item creating another bureaucratic mess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Galbavy
Is it not more likely that a compromise will be made. Restrictions may well be made more severe in high risk areas, falling in severity in line with low risk areas, making the availability for recreational use to continue. That isn't what you will want to hear if you already live in a higher risk area, but a blanket "ban" beyond fifty 50m anywhere seems unlikely.

Is it not more likely that a compromise will be made. Restrictions may well be made more severe in high risk areas, falling in severity in line with low risk areas, making the availability for recreational use to continue. That isn't what you will want to hear if you already live in a higher risk area, but a blanket "ban" beyond fifty 50m anywhere seems unlikely.
Are you suggesting common sense might be applied :eek:
No chance when the common sense thing is no new rules required since any danger is largely manufactured and based on ignorant speculation.

Are you suggesting common sense might be applied :eek:
No chance when the common sense thing is no new rules required since any danger is largely manufactured and based on ignorant speculation.
I am just speculating, and like I said, not what you want to hear ref ignorant speculation of the powers that be. I would imagine that you stand a far greater chance of relative freedom to fly on the North Yorkshire Moors than those living in the cities and suburbia.

I didn't say it couldn't be done. I said that the law says you can't.
I can drive my car at 150mph on the M6 if I want but the law says I can't. Same thing.

How is that a fair comparison? A Car will kill anyone in the way. A mavic flying blos is not going to harm anyone. Besides there is a huge community that modify these things for distance and i am proud to be a part of it. And while our governments loot opium out of Afghanistan, drug smuggling, child pedophile rings secret socities on and on and on you can bet my mavic will be no where in my sight.

Reactions: kingsman84
There is a location hack for the P3, so i dont see why we cant do similar for the Mavic.
As far as i understand, when booted the TX and P3 check to see which region they are in then apply FCC or FC compliance. If its a similar process, consider tinkering to be done to allow full power.

Reactions: Jeremiah Nelson
How is that a fair comparison? A Car will kill anyone in the way. A mavic flying blos is not going to harm anyone. Besides there is a huge community that modify these things for distance and i am proud to be a part of it. And while our governments loot opium out of Afghanistan, drug smuggling, child pedophile rings secret socities on and on and on you can bet my mavic will be no where in my sight.
Of course it's a fair comparison, the car at 150mph on an empty dedicated motorway will cause no harm, but of course motorways are not empty. Given open licences to BLOS flying to all is just as risky. Just like the motorways - the skies are not empty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic