Recreational Registration

5CA5BC94-852E-4B34-B926-FDF19729CA4F.png
So I registered under part 107, because the description was more accurate since I am not flying in a club. It defiantly requested a serial number, and if I attempt to add another drone, it requests the new drone’s serial no.
I’massuming others did not use option part 107, and no serial number was required.
Screenshot to indicate new devise reg. requiring serial.

That serial requirement is not new when registering as Part 107. It has always been required. The difference is that most hobbyists do not accidentally register commercially.

Part 336 is fly with an arrow-modeling club.
Part 107 is fly recreational, etc.

I see.....
Well according to the tech support guy I spoke to today, the website was revamped. He wasn’t familiar with the new site.
If you go look at the wording, 107 is for recreational, commercial, and government. All three.
336 is described as flying with a club.
Guess I’m a 107 now...
I’ll call back tomorrow and see if it matters.

That serial requirement is not new when registering as Part 107. It has always been required. The difference is that most hobbyists do not accidentally register commercially.

Then they need to reword their registration page.
107 clearly states recreational, commercial, or government.

Agreed. I would like to see the FAA reword lots of things on their website.

FWIW, I did try you steer you in the right direction in post #8 above.

Agreed. I would like to see the FAA reword lots of things on their website.

FWIW, I did try you steer you in the right direction in post #8 above.

Yes sir.... and I thank you for that.
One more thing.
I found this.
107 unless you are protected by 336......

(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft;

That phantom 4 will not always be within visual line of sight

Yes sir.... and I thank you for that.
One more thing.
I found this.
107 unless you are protected by 336......

(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft;

That phantom 4 will not always be within visual line of sight

You have missed an essential point - you cannot fly under Part 107 unless you have a Part 107 remote pilot license, which you do not. Simply registering your aircraft under the Part 107 registration system does not permit you to fly under Part 107 and is completely pointless without a Part 107 license.

The fact that you intend to violate Part 101 rules doesn't make you compliant under Part 107 either - VLOS is also a Part 107 rule.

Is there any negative aspect to my registering under 107?

An aircraft registered for Commercial can be flown either by Commercial (Part 107) rules or Hobby (Section 336) rules but you can't mix and match them in a single flight. If you are credentialed as a Part 107 RPIC (as in you've taken and passed the FAA Part 107 testing etc) you chose which set of rules you want to fly under before each and every flight. If you do not hold your Part 107 credentials then you simply follow Section 336 guidelines and don't give Part 107 any thought (although it's wise to follow those rules regardless).

I tried telling you in post #7 to make sure you was on the Recreation not Commercial side. Fortunately there's no down-side to Commercial Registration since you plowed ahead anyway LOL. Just keep in mind your AIRCRAFT is registered and that # goes on that one specific aircraft and ONLY that one specific aircraft. When (not If) you get more aircraft you'll need to register again (recreational or commercial) and put the new #'s on the new aircraft.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
I called the UAS.FAADroneZone help line, and he told me those third party sites, register for you, and pocket the rest.

And there you go. I think people really aren't sure where to register, so they google "drone registration" and click on the first link or two that pop up. It happens. From the comments that I've seen, it probably happens too often. Glad you avoided that trap.

I just registered mine yesterday on the FAA website. It also ask me where I purchased. Manufacturer, model and serial number. It cost $5.00 for 3 years and it was recreational.

I just registered mine yesterday on the FAA website. It also ask me where I purchased. Manufacturer, model and serial number. It cost $5.00 for 3 years and it was recreational.

You may want to check your status by calling the number listed under "contact us", 1 844 359 6982.
You may have made the same mistake I did. 107 is commercial, and I'm being told that 336 is the correct option to choose for recreational, and does not ask for a serial number.
The registration page is misleading.

After receiving a part 107 certification I presume I need to re-register my drone under a part 107 registration.

I also presume that I do not leave my original hobbyist number on the AC and that I should REPLACE it with the new number. Correct? Even if I plan to mostly fly recreationally?

Second: I have an older P3S that, if I fly it, it will always be recreational. Can I leave my original recreational number on that one?

Thx

If it asked you about purchase and serial # you registered under Part 107/Commercial side. The 336 side is registering YOU the operator and has no bearing on what aircraft you fly.

See post #11 by @msinger and take note is says "SECTION 336 DASHBOARD" to note you're in the right section.

After receiving a part 107 certification I presume I need to re-register my drone under a part 107 registration.
YES that is correct.

I also presume that I do not leave my original hobbyist number on the AC and that I should REPLACE it with the new number. Correct? Even if I plan to mostly fly recreationally?

You must remove the other Reg# from it. Legally an aircraft can only have (1) registration # on it. A Part 107 registration satisfies both Hobby and Commercial operations.

Second: I have an older P3S that, if I fly it, it will always be recreational. Can I leave my original recreational number on that one?
Yes all "Hobby Only" aircraft can keep your "Hobby Registration #" on them. I do the very same thing. I've got probably 15 aircraft that I only fly recreationally and all of them have the same "Hobby" registration # on them.

Key points here for anyone reading this and wondering about FAA Drone Regstration:

Hobby Registration(Section 336) is for you the operator so the same # can go on all the aircraft you own and fly only recreationally. This is stating that YOU are registered as a Recreational/Section 336 operator and that/those aircraft are only flown recreationally.

Commercial Registration(Part 107) is on a specific aircraft and that # is used only on that ONE aircraft. That's why it asks for serial # etc about the aircraft. This ties it to one exact and specific aircraft and not a Fleet of aircraft.

Key points here for anyone reading this and wondering about FAA Drone Regstration:

Hobby Registration(Section 336) is for you the operator so the same # can go on all the aircraft you own and fly only recreationally.

Commercial Registration(Part 107) is on a specific aircraft and that # is used only on that ONE aircraft. That's why it asks for serial # etc about the aircraft.

Thanks for clarifying that, BigAl. I think the way they've worded that page can cause some unnecessary confusion. When I first registered, I wasn't clear to me after reading that wording so, I had to stop and think for a minute, disregard everything else except "Section 336", and then it was clear.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures