Recreational Registration

Reaction score
I’m a new Phantom 4 owner. I purchased a non-registered drone from a private seller.
He never registered it. My drone use will be minimal, and strictly recreational.
1). Do I even need to bother registering. I mean, is anyone policing this?
2). There is a “purchased from” blank in the Federal Drone Application form, with purchased from examples like Amazon, etc. I purchased from an individual. Will this be a problem when registering?

Reactions: vipe1011
I’m a new Phantom 4 owner. I purchased a non-registered drone from a private seller.
He never registered it. My drone use will be minimal, and strictly recreational.
2). There is a “purchased from” blank in the Federal Drone Application form, with purchased from examples like Amazon, etc. I purchased from an individual. Will this be a problem when registering?

As a hobbyist your are not registering the drone(s).
Much like a drivers license you are registering yourself so past ownership will not be an issue.
Yes, you place the same reg# on all drones you own/fly.
Be sure to use the official FAA website to register to avoid ‘service fees’. It should only cost $5 for 3 years.

First off welcome to our forum. Glad to have you on board with us.

Uhhhhh????

1) YES! It's now law. It takes 5 minutes and costs only $5 for 3 years.

Whether it's "policed" or not is not a determining factor in following the specific law.

I understand I'll be registering myself, and not the drone.
Then why is the registration process asking for the serial number and place of purchase of the drone?

Go back and make sure you're not in the Commercial side of Registration. That one asks more questions that Hobby/Recreational.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
Then why is the registration process asking for the serial number and place of purchase of the drone?
Go here and click the "Register" button next to "Fly Model Aircraft under Section 336".

This bit of information is important as a number of people are signing up at third-party registration websites and paying a lot more the required $5.

Thanks for the $5 info.
Saved me from registering at the wrong one.
I called the UAS.FAADroneZone help line, and he told me those third party sites, register for you, and pocket the rest.

Here's what's required when registering as a hobbyist:

FAA.png

You may want to update your registration example to be current with their currently revamped drone registration page.
Serial and place of purchase are blanke to be filled in now.

You may want to update your registration example to be current with their currently revamped drone registration page.
That's the current form as of 17 minutes ago when I snapped that screenshot.

Serial number and place purchased were part of the recreational registration process.
Cost me $5.00 for three years.

Does this look familiar?
I cant go back to where I registered because the first step is to create an account.
Since I’ve already created an account, I cannot get back to the page/ form that had the serial number blank requires to fill in.

Attachments

• DC80C4F1-BEE0-4D65-B7C1-E3177761FFD1.jpeg
    DC80C4F1-BEE0-4D65-B7C1-E3177761FFD1.jpeg
    394.8 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Part 336 is fly with an arrow-modeling club.
Part 107 is fly recreational, etc.
Part 336 is for hobbyists (recreational). Part 107 is for business (commercial).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl