Recreational Registration

I am a little confused. Are you guys saying that you now get a card when you register yourself as a hobbyist? The reason l ask is because l never received a card when l registered myself (in 2015?) when registration first came out and l never unregistered when it was struck down temporarily. So since they reinstated, do you now get a card?

I am a little confused. Are you guys saying that you now get a card when you register yourself as a hobbyist? The reason l ask is because l never received a card when l registered myself (in 2015?) when registration first came out and l never unregistered when it was struck down temporarily. So since they reinstated, do you now get a card?
It gets emailed to you as a PDF that you print out and carry.

I can only speak for Dec 2016 and later. That’s when I registered my first drone and printed out the card myself and stuck a label on the drone with the number.

No, as you said you print it from your computer or keep an electronic copy on your mobile device. It must be in your presence when flying in either form.

Seems the various issues have been well covered in our discussion. A counterpoint to the confusion created by the FAA registration website is that the FAA may be deliberately trying to get hobbyists individual serial numbers and aircraft models for enforcement purposes during the registration process, despite a lack of current authority to do so.

Still don't understand why they don't ask for your certification number when registering your aircraft for 107.

Because some people register "Commercial" who don't have a Part 107. Public Use aircraft still have to be registered but the operators may be flying under a COA as opposed to Part 107.

If the 107 registration card says nothing about 107, and is essentially indistinguishable from a hobbyist card

If registered on the Commercial side the "Registration Card" also lists your Aircraft details. This includes:

• Manufacturer
  • Model of Aircraft
  • Serial # of Aircraft

Hobby Registration will not have any of that information because you're registering the operator and not an aircraft.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
No, as you said you print it from your computer or keep an electronic copy on your mobile device. It must be in your presence when flying in either form.
okay, now I get it. Some folks are referring to that print out of the pdf file as a card. The only card I have is the one I got when I passed the 107 test.

Not to keep beating a dead horse but another source of confusion is that you can buy stickers for your hobbyist number. Some of those places on Amazon also include a credit card like registration card that looks somewhat official. Uneducated Leo's may mistake those as a 107 certification.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Because some people register "Commercial" who don't have a Part 107. Public Use aircraft still have to be registered but the operators may be flying under a COA as opposed to Part 107.

If registered on the Commercial side the "Registration Card" also lists your Aircraft details. This includes:

• Manufacturer
  • Model of Aircraft
  • Serial # of Aircraft

Hobby Registration will not have any of that information because you're registering the operator and not an aircraft.

Geez, I can't believe I already forgot that you explained that too me earlier! Sorry!

Reactions: BigAl07
FAA followup email response to my registering as 107 instead of 336

2018-04-08 02:45:44 PM EDT - Vieira, WilliamAdditional comments
Thank you for your inquiry. Under Part 107 you are registered to operate your drone for BOTH commercial and hobbyist purposes. You do not need to change anything. If you acquire another recreational drone, you can register it under either 107 or 336. The Part 336 allows you to use the same registration number for all of your drones if you fly for hobbyist use only. Unfortunately, you cannot change a Part 107 to Part 336 without cancelling the commercial registration first and re-registering the same drone for hobbyist use. This should not be necessary because you are covered for both uses under the 107.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michello