Recreational Registration

Yes he clearly gets it by my reading of his post. He is simply talking about the aircraft registration using the part 107 section of the drone registration website. He clearly states that he will only be doing recreation. He has no intent to engage in non recreational flight. Therefore the aircraft registration numbers he got can be used for his recreational aircraft. Nowhere in this does he imply that he thinks he now has a remote pilot certificate under part 107. I hope that clears it up.
It is interesting and bizarre that the FAA would actually encourage registering for and issuing a 107 card for recreational flyers by the deliberate confusion in the online registration process, without ever first obtaining a 107 certificate. Our government at work...:rolleyes:

Reactions: AndrewCCM
It is interesting and bizarre that the FAA would actually encourage registering for and issuing a 107 card for recreational flyers by the deliberate confusion in the online registration process, without ever first obtaining a 107 certificate. Our government at work...:rolleyes:
Totally totally agree. I think I commented further up on this thread that the wording on the registration page almost seems deliberately misleading.

I think that the reason for the option is that Part 107 is the overarching law on sUAS operations, and while you can exempt flights from it by adhering to Part 101 eligibility requirements, it is perfectly fine to register aircraft using the Part 107 process.

I think that the reason for the option is that Part 107 is the overarching law on sUAS operations, and while you can exempt flights from it by adhering to Part 101 eligibility requirements, it is perfectly fine to register aircraft using the Part 107 process.
Indeed. However, the online choices are very confusing to anyone without a 107 certificate, leading hobbyists to unintentionally register under Part 107, as we have already seen in this thread, from postings by two recreational registrants. Among other things, they are needlessly registering specific aircraft, rather than just themselves. Plus, they are now card carrying 107 pilots, without a 107 certification, which will confuse them, and anyone to whom the card is presented, including LEO's, as to their real classification. Not good.

Reactions: Jgreg0912
Indeed. However, the online choices are very confusing to anyone without a 107 certificate, leading hobbyists to unintentionally register under Part 107, as we have already seen in this thread, from postings by two recreational registrants. Among other things, they are needlessly registering specific aircraft, rather than just themselves. Plus, they are now card carrying 107 pilots, without a 107 certification, which will confuse them, and anyone to whom the card is presented, including LEO's, as to their real classification. Not good.

Agreed. My point was just that registering under Part 107 has a hobbyist is fully compliant, just more onerous and costly if you have more than one aircraft. It certainly could be made clearer.

Reactions: Jgreg0912
Agreed. My point was just that registering under Part 107 has a hobbyist is fully compliant, just more onerous and costly if you have more than one aircraft. It certainly could be made clearer.
Agreed, and my point is that, while that hobbyist registering under Part 107 is fully compliant, that hobbyist may then wrongly believe they are now 107 certified, and any LEO being presented their 107 card will also not understand the distinction. IMHO, the lack of clarity creates even more problems after the 107 card is issued to a hobbyist. :cool:

Reactions: sar104
Agreed, and my point is that, while that hobbyist registering under Part 107 is fully compliant, that hobbyist may then wrongly believe they are now 107 certified, and any LEO being presented their 107 card will also not understand the distinction. IMHO, the lack of clarity creates even more problems after the 107 card is issued to a hobbyist. :cool:

The registration “card” I printed out for my 107 registration says nothing about part 107 anywhere. So I don’t see any confusion on the part of LEO. So no 107 card is being issued to hobbyists. The substantive difference between the 107 and non registration card is the inclusion of manufacturer, model and serial. Those really in the know may see that as a 107 registration but I think that’s a stretch.

Sad to think that the FAA would intentionally mislead hobbyists. I have 20 planes that I fly at my club. Glad I know better than to register each one! But I did not know until reading this thread that I needed to register my Phantom as 107 - thought it was covered when I registered my toys. I did that last weekend. Thanks guys!

Sad to think that the FAA would intentionally mislead hobbyists. I have 20 planes that I fly at my club. Glad I know better than to register each one! But I did not know until reading this thread that I needed to register my Phantom as 107 - thought it was covered when I registered my toys. I did that last weekend. Thanks guys!
Your Phantom qualifies as another hobbyist aircraft. You can use the same F number you do for all your other planes. This is exactly the type of confusion created by the new registration options.

The registration “card” I printed out for my 107 registration says nothing about part 107 anywhere. So I don’t see any confusion on the part of LEO. So no 107 card is being issued to hobbyists. The substantive difference between the 107 and non registration card is the inclusion of manufacturer, model and serial. Those really in the know may see that as a 107 registration but I think that’s a stretch.
If the 107 registration card says nothing about 107, and is essentially indistinguishable from a hobbyist card, how is anyone to know that every hobbyist with a hobbyist card isn't also 107 certified, or that anyone in possession of a 107 registration card, becuse of a mistaken hobbyist registration, isn't actually 107 certified? Plenty of room for confusion.

If the 107 registration card says nothing about 107, and is essentially indistinguishable from a hobbyist card, how is anyone to know that every hobbyist with a hobbyist card isn't also 107 certified, or that anyone in possession of a 107 registration card, becuse of a mistaken hobbyist registration, isn't actually 107 certified? Plenty of room for confusion.

My auto registration says nothing about my license level... Operator, CDL, Haz-Mat, etc.

You really worry about this stuff?

How does this affect you?

Reactions: bsartist
My auto registration says nothing about my license level... Operator, CDL, Haz-Mat, etc.

You really worry about this stuff?

How does this affect you?
We have hobbyists mistakenly registering their aircraft under Part 107, instead of themselves as hobbyist pilots. Some may think they are now 107 certified because of that confusion. That concerns me.

Better you than me.

Lots of folks think lots of things that aren’t so.

You go ‘guy’.

Reactions: bsartist
Have you seen the two types of cards?

I don’t get this particular confusion or concern. Registering an aircraft has nothing to do with a remote pilot license. Think about it. A hobbyist buys a P3S and has to register it. He may very well know nothing about part 107. Yet if he does then he knows that registering the AC had nothing to do with having that airman certificate. This 107 AC registration can not, in my view, appear to convey any pilot license status.

The website itself causes confusion by putting “recreation” in the 107 paragraph. This is a problem to be sure. But that very word is what is attracting recreational operators to erroneously register that way. They already know they are recreational and not commercial but THINK they need to register their AC.

The only resulting confusion, as I see it, is that those who don’t know what 107 is will spend more money on registrations if they get more than one drone. They aren’t going to think they are licensed remote pilots under 107. And LEO certainly aren’t going to say “hey you got a serial number on your registration cert. you must be a licensed pilot.”

By the way, the person who accidentally registered under part 107 can also SAVE themselves five bucks if they decide to get their part 107 remote pilot license. They won’t hsve to reregister their drone like I had to. ;-)

OK. I see your confusion now. As someone else mentioned - you have a drivers license, and you also have a registration for your vehicle(s).

So let’s not confuse the AC registration certificate with a Remote sUAS Pilot certificate.

The remote sUAS pilot certificate is what you earn by passing the knowledge test and background check. That’s your “ticket.”

The registration is just a way for the FAA to extract $5 from you and get you into a database and make you mark your aircraft so if it goes down on someone’s head they can find you.

I have both kinds of registrations. So trust me. Neither one mentions part 107 or remote pilot or anything of the sort. It’s just a registration. The only difference is that the part 107 registration includes AC specific info. That’s it. Trust me.

Your Phantom qualifies as another hobbyist aircraft. You can use the same F number you do for all your other planes. This is exactly the type of confusion created by the new registration options.
I agree with this. This is exactly the confusion that results. He thinks he needs to register a different way.

But I don’t see him saying he has a new found qualification.

Agreed and understood. But I got my Phantom registered under 107 in hopes of eventually going commercial. Still don't understand why they don't ask for your certification number when registering your aircraft for 107. Then those that are strictly hobbyists would know that they are in the wrong place when they go to register in the 107 area.

I reread this and have a shorter answer: they know s/he isn’t also 107 certified because they can’t also produce the LICENSE you get after passing the part 107 knowledge test.

Gadget guy is right. As long as you are flying your drone for hobby you done need to register it special. Slap your existing number on it. You only need to register it differently if you’ve gotten your 107 remote pilot cert AND intend to use it for non hobby flights.

Agreed and understood. But I got my Phantom registered under 107 in hopes of eventually going commercial. Still don't understand why they don't ask for your certification number when registering your aircraft for 107. Then those that are strictly hobbyists would know that they are in the wrong place when they go to register in the 107 area.
Reasonable point.

You’ll save yourself $5 when you get your airman ticket. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumperswaves